Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 61 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 88 reviews
on April 19, 2017
This is one of those easy-breezy "OMG, eating right is sooo much fun!" kind of cookbooks. The first 50 pages is kind of like an infomercial for a diet plan--it goes on and on, saying the same things over and over, and, of course, plenty of before-and-after testimonials.

Then there's the requisite 6-week meal plan, right down to "coffee with sugar substitute, if desired" or "hot tea". Wow, I'm relieved to learn I can have coffee at least a couple days a week.

Then, after a few more pages of fluff, the recipes are presented in order by category, starting with snacks. ("It's easy to avoid cravings when you indulge in a snack between meals.")

The recipes themselves aren't bad (feel free to skip the silly tips and testimonials interspersed among the recipes), but the index is beyond horrible. There's a "crustless pumpkin pie" recipe, but don't go searching under P for pumpkin or pie. Don't look under C for crustless, either. Oops, my bad: it's named "low calorie pumpkin pie"--so naturally it's listed under L for low.

But, be sure you're looking in the right index. The book has three or four indexes that all run together, and, like the rest of the book, go on and on and on. It's a non-index index (that nonetheless spans dozens of pages), and really spoils the book.
on April 12, 2017
This is another one of the comfort cookbooks that uses normal ingredients and normal size portions but lowers the calories. This is exactly what I expected. Don't expect anything to gourmet this is just regular people who submits the recipes and could be your neighbor next-door who share the recipe with you.
on January 10, 2012
This is the third in the Comfort Food Diet cookbook series and Taste of Home definitely delivers once again. The first two cookbooks - Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook and Taste of Home Comfort Food Diet Cookbook: New Family Classic s Collection: Lose Weight with 416 More Great Recipes! were winners in our home from the very first recipe tried. There hasn't been a recipe in any of the books that we have tried that has been anything less than great. Almost every single recipe has a color photo and all recipes have complete nutritional information. This isn't fancy five star restaurant fare that's going to send you to every grocery store in a 100 mile radius looking for ingredients. Instead, these are good old down home favorites made healthy, using real ingredients that we all are familiar with and that are easily found in almost any grocery store. These days, with so many recipes available online, it's rare that a cookbook earns its way into my collection, but these three books are at the head of the class. As an added bonus (as if you needed one), these books come with an attached card inside the book for a free year of Taste of Home Healthy Cooking magazine, which normally retails for $23.94 and delivers the same great recipes that Taste of Home is always known for but healthier.
on November 10, 2014
I have owned this book for a long time and used the recipes here and there. Recently I got more serious about healthy eating and weight loss and started to use this cookbook more. I tried out the diet plans in the book, and lost 3 pounds in the first two weeks. My teenage niece lives with me and has also been eating the food, since I am not cooking separate meals. We have both liked most of the recipes I have tried in this book. One day she actually said, "Are you sure this is diet food?" High praise indeed. The recipes are generally easy to make without any hard to find ingredients. It is mostly American-style food, so if you are looking for authentic cuisine from other cultures look elsewhere. But for easy to cook healthy low-calorie food this is a good choice.
on May 24, 2013
I found so many great recipes in this cookbook. Every recipe I tried came out so delicious. I am a weight watcher member, lifetime free for 11 years now, and this book is so helpful. It has all the nutritional facts that makes it so easy to figure out the point plus values.

I plan my weekly menus going through this cookbook and makes planning low calorie meals so easy.There are helpful weight lost tips throughout the book. My husband whom doesn't have a weight problem asks what is on the menu each night, he loves my new way of cooking and the recipes are so easy.

I can't say enough about this book, I simply love it, and the price is great too. I never found a cookbook with so many recipes that I like. I would highly recommend this book to everyone. I even bought 4 more books for Family members, I wanted to share my excitement in the new recipes I found.
on June 17, 2012
This book is most unique! It is divided into numerous sections, such as Nutrition Info, actual success stories, 6 WEEKS of Menus, Recipes, etc. It pretty much has everything at hand for starting healthier food-choices and/or weight control. The menus are based on a 1400-calorie day, but they give lots of hints at adjusting/ changing. It even includes desserts, if you like. I only gave it 4 stars because the menus do not include a VARIETY of veggies; almost every L/D includes a Salad--which is, of course, an excellent way to lower calories. Most of us can improvise--calorie for calorie. A good Guide book!
P.S. Menus seemed limiting to me (in addition to frequent Salads)in regard to Meats; the larger percentage of meals listed some form of Beef--fine, if you eat a lot of "red" meat. It is a very colorful book & filled w/lots of info; it also has 6 wks. of menus & lots of recipes.
on April 7, 2015
I love this series! Everything I've made from these cookbooks have been a hit. They're all things that taste like they should be horrible for you but they're surprisingly light. I lighten some of them up a little further by substituting ingredients. I also like that I can easily enter the recipes on my fitness pal by searching the specific recipes on the taste of home website. Full of tons of helpful information. I highly recommend it.
on September 12, 2014
I purchased this cookbook when I wanted to lose some weight and I couldn't have been happier. Each recipe has a picture and it lists all of the nutrition information that is needed to keep track of calories and fat. The best part was that the recipes were really good. My husband and children liked the food and had no idea that it was so called "diet" food. I have purchased two other comfort food cookbooks also and love them all! Thank you for helping me on my weight loss journey.
on January 15, 2013
The recipes are fine, although the book is more a "diet instruction" than a cook book. I know how to do it (I've been doing it for YEARS); I would rather have had more recipes. Also, this is my first recipe book on my Kindle and I was hoping the format would be better than printed copy. Not so much..
on May 26, 2014
I have only tried a few of the recipes in this book so far, but they have been fabulous. You don't realize you're eating "diet" food at all. The recipes are easy to make, with ingredients you would most likely already have. No need to go out shopping at the specialty food stores. Has sample menu for 6 weeks which is awesome. Also has meals separated by calorie count. An amazing book even if you aren't on a diet!