Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Gifts for Dad Book House Cleaning twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Shop Now Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 62 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 81 reviews
on May 2, 2017
Being a fan of My Morning Jacket brought me to buy this album. I love Jim James' voice and his versatility and diversity as a musician. I love all the songs. Great album to listen to at night or at a time where you can really ponder the lyrics. MMJ fans will love it.
on June 13, 2013
This is such a great cd!!! I discovered My Morning Jacket (JJ's band) by waking up one night to them playing on the late show-surprise! I am generally listening to progressive rock, and am skeptical of what's on TV especially. However, was impressed enough to go out and buy one of their cds straight away, ...and another, ...and another, and the Okokinos DVD-woo hoo. I love MMJ now, & was fortunate enough to see them last December in NY, after braving a very tough snowstorm to get there - a great show! It's so great to see a relatively young band making such energetic an heartfelt music.
Anyhow, to this cd - it is somehow just as I expected it to be: not quite as hard rocking as MMJ, but more innovative, and very loving & spiritual. I could swear I hear the use of an Optigan on one or two of the tracks - just love the use of all the different instruments, but the Optigan especially, since my husband has one and plays it daily in our living room - truly. My favorite track on this cd is the last one - God's Love To Deliver. I can't begin to express how this song makes me feel - so beautiful. Such a fitting tribute of MLK, and more; the meaning of these lyrics is exactly how I feel. Thank you Jim. I would recommend this music to virtually anyone and everyone!
on February 22, 2013
I bought this (lp) because I think Jim James is one of our great artists right now.

Let me come straight to my point. I still think Jim is a great artist. I do think he went slightly in the wrong direction with this release, however. He relied too much on his strong points, being his voice, his past credability and his strong legion of followers.

He did let us down in his overall output this time. Maybe trying to be too slick, too electonica, too much of a different artist than he is meant to be. I hope there will be other solo efforts to blow me away. For now, go find your 'Jacket' and slip it back on!

Re-review: Side one is a nice record, enjoyed listening and will enjoy again. Side two is a different record. It's like there are two different artists here.
on November 22, 2014
This does not sound like My Morning Jacket. Because it is not My Morning Jacket. Solid solo effort by Jim James; a bit slow at points (especially near the end), but a rather enjoyable outing in the long run. Similar vibe to MMJ records, but again, this IS NOT a MMJ record, so it is distinct from their particular body of work in sound and execution. Know till Now, A New Life, and State of the Art (A.E.I.O.U.) are my personal favorite songs here. Looking forward to the next solo album, if he decides to do one that is.
on March 26, 2013
This album makes me feel like being immersed in a tub full of warm love. Put your headphones on and revel in a sonic masterpiece. I bought the vinyl version and there is something magical about listening to this album on a Sunday morning on a spring day. Kind of like the first time I listened to Dark Side of the Moon.....
on August 17, 2013
This is . . . different. I think everyone knows this. It is personal. For me I love the way Mr. James sees. I want more but I am now afraid we won't get anymore My Morning Jacket stuff like Tennessee Fire.

Some people might like to have dinner with JFK , Lincoln or maybe Oprah. I would like to hang out with this guy for a while. Where DOES he get his inspiration ?
on February 18, 2013
Jim James delivers with his first solo album(not counting his george harrison tribute, which is also excellent!) The album weaves it's way through 9 tracks, phasing in between psychedelic rock, some light electronica and the usual soul/R&B that fits Jims voice oh so well. The overall vibe of this album reminds a little of "Z" by My Morning Jacket, only on this one Jim plays all of the instruments by himself(minus the string arrangements and some drums here and there) If you like MMJ at all or anything that Jim has done you will most definitely love this album. Absolutely worth picking up!
on February 26, 2017
Purchased him only hearing his song on various tv programs ... but the whole cd is great ... love the video on YouTube check it out ... song: "state of art (A.E.IOU) ... would use the vendor again... thx!
on February 9, 2013
I just received this cd and cannot stop listening to it----heard STATE OF THE ART(AEIOU) on my very hip radio station and immediately ordered the cd. i loved MMJ and his WORDLESS CHORUS. I have found this solo effort better as a whole than that effort which i found wanting here and there. To be honest, i haven't listened to anything--if anything exists--that the group has done since. After hearing this song, tho, i inexplicably knew i had to get this cd -- it it PHENOMENAL.. . i sincerely thank you jim james for your moving and inspiring music. I love it!
on January 10, 2015
Sat on this one for quite awhile before writing this review, figuring it might grow on me. But it hasn't. A generally slow moving album of religious music, mostly beautifully-orchestrated electronica with voice and frequent guitar, but too tedious towards the end. Can't get into it as an album, even though the beginning few tracks aren't bad and you might cherry pick those.