Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Noah Gundersen PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,633 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 2,286 reviews
on September 10, 2016
The first release of this movie is truly a masterpiece. If you can get that release/version you will not be disappointed. However, I am at a loss for words. This is the 3rd copy of Tottoro that I've owned. The previous were the original, Japanese with English subtitles, and the initial release in the US. This last version is totally remastered. Different voices for all of the characters. Completely different script. The initial magic of the movie is lost. The original was set in the past with an appropriate vernacular and cultural reference, The current version brings the reference to a modern vernacular which removes the more simplistic life of the setting of the movie. They even changed the japaneses with english sub titles version. The environmental sounds are much improved, however. Disappointed is a huge understatement. Does anyone know which is the best version of the original that is dubbed in English?
88 comments| 192 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 4, 2016
To most people they know this animated movie because of some iconic scenes but haven't actually seen the movie. I gave this movie a four because while I do love it (personally a five star movie) I also believe that most adults or even some young adults whow havent seen it before will not enjoy it. They will consider this movie about two young girls on acid. For many this movie is great because of the nostalgia but I honestly still think it's a good movie. It's also nice to show this movie to kids today, that way they can see how much fun they can have if they go outside to play....
Getting back on track, it can easily give any Disney movie a run for its money with lovable characters, a well developed back story for the family, and the perfect amount of "magic". The magic is only seen through the children, and without getting too much into a debate about if totoro was real or not, we all understand how it felt to see things as a child and then when we told our parents they didn't believe us.
This is a movie I highly recommend for anyone who wants to show their kids a fun movie with multiple positive messages like the environment, creativity, gender equality, and basically being a kid.
Come on who doesn't like a movie that brings you back to your childhood ?
on June 10, 2015
I love Totoro and all the other movies from Hayao Mi yazaki even after I became an adult. Sadly yes it not the best quality video and the voices aren't the original. I don't know if the quality of the video would of been better if I gotten the blu-ray(may be) But this is the other version that was air in cartoon network and I watched it as a kid, so it's not a complete lost. I seen both versions plus the Japanese voices with English subs and at the end its always an amazing story.

This great to have in your collection and as a gift to any one but if you really want the original may be try to find it elsewhere or may be get the Blu-Ray for better quality.
review image review image review image review image
on November 16, 2016
I generally don't care for Japanese animation, but I saw several films by Miyazaki on TCM and was fascinated by Totoro. I'm much too old to be watching such things but this movie brings delight to movie lovers of all ages. I hear debate over the merits of the Fox version vs. the Disney version. I think they are both excellent but I prefer the Disney version because the video is slightly better. Other than that, there is no perceptible difference.
on April 21, 2012
Set against the backdrop of rural postwar Japan, Hayao Miyazaki's 'My Neighbor Totoro' is the story of two sisters' discovery of friendly wood spirits. Upon moving into a house, the girls discover a fantastical world both in their new home and in the environment around them - dust spirits, cat buses, and Totoros (3 of them!) While they learn the secrets of the world around them, the Totoros help the girls navigate the sadness of their mother's separation from them. With the Totoros' help, the girls manage to find a new emotional balance that helps them to come to terms with their mother's absence.

If you're familiar with Studio Ghibli's films, then you know each film begins with the depiction of Totoro. And Totoro is so famous and well-loved that he even makes cameos in other films - in Toy Story 3 as a plushie for instance. This story is really heart warming and now that I've watched the film twice, I have to say that it ranks in the top ten animated films of all time for me. There are just certain moments that will leave you smiling - waiting at the bus stop, for instance, when Totoro discovers the pleasures of droplets falling on an umbrella. Also, now continuing in my Studio Ghibli watching, I have noticed some patterns. It seems Disney was not the only one obsessed with a mother's separation from her children. The first four Studio Ghibli films (Nausicaa*, Castle in the Sky, Grave of the Fireflies, and Totoro) all have an absent or separated mother. Just something to note and see if the pattern holds down the road.

Additionally, if you have some knowledge of Japanese cultures and religions, then this story will make perfect sense given that the Japanese have traditionally believed in Animism, a belief system where animals and plants are imbued with spirits. Seriously, if you haven't watched this film, watch it. If you've already watched it, watch it again.

*Technically not a Studio Ghibli film, but whatever.
on April 11, 2017
I like the Disney dub better than the original Fox one. I own the original English dub on VHS. Months of borrowing this from the library prompted me to make the purchase.
on May 18, 2017
The translation was spot on and my favorite part about this English adapted version. It stayed true to the Japanese language and was beautiful. This film, and others by Studio Ghibli and Hayao Miyazaki, is a childhood favorite that I still love as an adult and can't wait to share with my own future children. Definitely money well spent!
on January 7, 2014
This movie is about a family in 1955 Japan with two girls, Satsuki and her four year old sister Mei. I estimate that Satsuki is about ten years old. I love the exuberance of the two girls. I love seeing the Japanese countryside and their way of life. In Blu-Ray, some images of the countryside are like paintings that should be framed and put on the wall. In the past four months, I've watched this movie twenty-seven times, four times in English, and twenty-three times in Japanese with English subtitles. I have been trying to pick up some Japanese words. I'd recommend this movie to anybody who wants to learn something about Japan and wants to watch a delightful family movie with great characters. I recommend buying the Blu-Ray version.
on September 16, 2012
Film is another animation gem by critically acclaimed director Hayao Miyazaki.

Little ones will absolutely love this film, and adults as well! it well make us reflect on when we were little with inquisitive, imaginative brains, along with optimistic spirits as we grew exploring the mysteries of life.

Definitely one of my favorites that I will watch again and again. And when I have children they will watch this as well.

I hope to one day travel to Japan and explore the real forest of Totoro. ^^ lol

I highly recommend this film to anyone who has children. And really to any adult to bring back that child in you that has long left you in you.

About the Product:

Product arrived along with Kiki's Delivery Service. Both films were in mint condition.

I highly recommend the film and the seller.

Thanks, and God bless ^^
on August 4, 2016
This is one of our favorite films! I wish all kid's movies were made like this - adventure, courage, loyalty, sisters, a tree spirit. Our princess-obsessed daughter is now constantly on the hunt for Totoro and identifies with Saskia & Mei in her imaginative play.