Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Otterbox [Defender Series] Samsung Galaxy S5 Case - Retail Packaging Protective Case for Galaxy S5 - Max 5 Blaze (Blaze Orange/Black/Max 5 Design)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

Color: Blaze Orange/Black/Max 5 Design|Package Type: Standard Packaging|Change

on April 8, 2014
I was a little hesitant at first when ordering this case due to the fact that the defender cases have been super bulky in the past. Much to my surprise, Otterbox and their Defender Series Cases have come a long way since I contemplated ordering one a few years ago. This case is extremely thin for the protection it seems to offer. The build quality is superb and should protect the phone very well! I love the built in screen protector as opposed to trying to line up the sticky screen protectors with a few of the cheaper cases. The price seems fair as well. I paid $49.95 on Amazon. If ordered directly from Otterbox it will cost around $10 more.

At the time of this post, the Lifeproof Case for the s5 has not been released. A huge deciding factor in choosing Otterbox over Lifeproof is the mixed reviews the s4 Lifeproof Case received about echoing when people try to talk to you.

The belt clip seems to be nice and lock the case into place, but realistically I'll never use it. I keep my phone in my pocket. The buttons seem stiff, but from what I've read it's common at first on Otterbox cases.

Overall, this case is a little pricey costing about 25% of the phone's cost after a contract renewal, but I feel it's definitely worth it (especially when you consider the alternative is paying full price for an s5 because yours broke in the middle of your contract). Lifeproof will cost you about $20-$30 more.

I'll try to update this review accordingly as time progresses!

*****UPDATE: 7/8/2014 - I've had this case for a little over 3 months now and I still really like it! I've only taken it off of my phone 1 time since purchasing (to clean the dust out and reset the phone by pulling the battery). It was very easy and quick to remove. This case has definitely protected my phone against my toddler's destructive ways on numerous occasions. The only problem I've noticed is that sometimes the case's buttons will slip off of the phone's buttons when I try to adjust the volume. It's not a big deal. I just hit the button again until it works correctly.

The screen protector is still smooth and my finger is able to glide across it effortlessly, which is nice since I am addicted to my phone and use it almost nonstop.

I've talked several coworkers and friends into purchasing this case. So far I haven't had any complaints from them!
33 comments| 337 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 26, 2014
Worked great. Fit great. About the 3rd week in a part of the rubber started coming away from an area above the charging port. Makes no sense. I have never removed the cover or messed with that part of the rubber. Disappointed.
review image
on February 21, 2015
This case has a major flaw. I did drop my phone and it was a face down drop from my pants pocket when I took the phone out. So this was a 3 foot high drop. My Samsung phone screen was full of spider cracks from the landing. It was not the ground cracked the screen, it was the hard plastic outer ring of the otter box case that was pushed into the screen by the hear speaker. There is no forgiveness in the case when dropped face down. The soft rubber should project out past the hard plastic and absorb this type of drop. This is a major flaw in the design that can be easily corrected. I have emailed Otter Box on this issue and hopefully it will lead to a design change. I added pics of the damage.
review image review image
66 comments| 141 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 8, 2015
Sons phone fell out of his hand while moving out of the way of hot water I had spilled. The phone barely his the corner and then landed flat face up and whole screen shattered. Some great case! First fall ever!! Emailed otterbox, let's see what they say.
review image
77 comments| 46 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 6, 2015
This is the third OtterBox Defender that I've owned. I've used one on each of my previous Samsung Galaxy phones. This is an absolutely PERFECT phone case. The fit and finish when installed on the Galaxy S5 is flawless. I used one on my Galaxy S4 for nearly two years and I dropped that phone all the time, and never so much as a scratch or dent on the phone. I have never once been concerned after dropping a phone that is protected by an OtterBox. The rubbery outer case gives the phone a very 'grippable' texture so it is far less likely to slip out of your hand. Yes, the inner hard plastic case with the outer rubbery cover makes the phone bulky, that's what protects it so well. However, I don't have a problem with it fitting in my dress/work pants pockets or even some tighter jeans. The side buttons work perfectly fine with this case, no conflict. When I finally removed my Galaxy S4 from the previous OtterBox (which certainly was showing significant wear & tear after two years), the phone was in near perfect condition. I cannot say enough good things about this product and am an OtterBox user for life.
review image review image review image
on April 14, 2014
I have really enjoyed this case over the past 4 days, but it won't be for everyone. For those that are rough on phones, don't mind using a standard pass code, and don't want to use the heartbeat sensor it will be the perfect case.

*** Update *** I have found that if you make sure to not roll your thump up to the tip at the bottom the finger print unlock works 90% of the time.

Pros:
-The case fits great and is much better than the defender I had for the iphone 3Gs.
-It installs quickly and doesn't leave air bubbles between the screen protector and display.
-The case is grippy without sticking to pockets.

Cons:
-The lip around the front of the screen makes the fingerprint scanner difficult to use, but it will work as long as you drag your finger across both the sensor and don't roll up to your fingertip at the lip.
-The bezel around the camera makes the heartbeat sensor hard to use as well and I have had more issues with that than the finger print sensor. I wouldn't recommend this case if you are planning to use the sensor often, but it will work if you are just going to toy around with it.
-The case weighs around the same as the phone and adds a little bulk.
-The charging port is a little hard to get to, but can still easily be opened with fingernails
55 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 17, 2014
Good case in the beginning, but after a few weeks the rubber part got all stretched out and didn't fit the phone anymore. Will not be buying anymore of these cases!
on July 23, 2014
So I was at Lawrys Pasties Shop in Ishpeming MI. I took my phone set it on top of the car and forgot about it and jumped in the car and took off forgetting it on the roof got up to about 55mph and heard something fly off Amanda my wife said "what was that" and I said "my phone" as I watched it bounce off the pavement though my rearview mirror so I stopped the car and walked back to where my phone flew off and picked it up there was nothing wrong with it just a few scuff on the phone case the belt clip broke but who cares I was happy the phone survived so I just want to say "Thank You Otter Box For Making Such A Kick Ass Protective Case Defender Series"

I called Otterbox told them my story and they replaced my belt clip with no hassle.
on August 14, 2014
I have been a fan of Otterbox since they first began selling phone cases, but this case is a very poor design. The flap by the home button stretches and gets loose from going in and out of your pocket and the button to turn the screen on and of doesn't line up right and I have to pull the rubber outer shell back to use that button more often than not. This case is making me lose faith in Otterbox products.
on May 2, 2014
just recently purchased this case for my wife's Samsung Galaxy S5. been using this case since the day of the iPhone 4! offers superb protection! i always tend to take the screen protector off and use a Spigen Tempered Glas.tr with it, great combonation! overall great buy for those who are looking to protect their device to the fullest! though they are very bulky so keep that in mind as well!