Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Little FIres Everywhere Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 7,219 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 7,678 reviews
on April 22, 2016
After one month the front plate glass (panel) separating from the frame. I contacted TCL (Roku). This is the answer;
Dear Ms. Laugerude,

Thank you for reaching TCL Email support! We do apologize for any inconvenience this issue has caused.

Unfortunately, issues like this aren’t covered under the manufacturer’s warranty. I’m sorry we weren’t able to fix your damaged TV. You do have the option of taking your TV to any local repair shop and ask if they could repair your TV. However, we do not recommend panel repairs. Reason being the panel of most TVs costs approximately 95% of the original price of the TV.

Best Regards,

Alex Tapiador | Subject Matter Expert - NA

TCL North America
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have they Warranty front of me;

Limited Warranty
Roku warrants the player hardware against defects in materials and workmanship under normal use for a period of one (1) year from the date of purchase ("Warranty Period") if used in accordance with the documentation provided with the player. If Roku determines that the player’s hardware is defective during the Warranty Period, Roku’s sole obligation, and your exclusive remedy, will be to either repair or replace the unit with either a new or rebuilt player, at its option.*
review image review image
5150+ comments| 3,653 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
We have had this TV for a couple of weeks. Since we don’t subscribe to cable, we mostly watch local news and occasionally local sport. We also have Amazon Prime and watch the odd free movie or rent one to watch on my computer monitor.

So when it came time to purchase a new TV we approached it the same way we approached buying a house. We made a list of the features we wanted (a SmartTV with Wifi, streaming channels, Amazon Prime, at least 50” and affordable at around the $500 mark). After looking at our options in terms of price and convenience, we decided that it made the most sense to purchase it through Amazon Prime.

After much research, we decided that the TCL TV’s offered the best value, met our budget requirements, and our decision to purchase the TV through Amazon enabled us to purchase the TV with interest free financing over 6 months.

Appearance.

The TV came in a large box with the stand hardware: remote, power cable and batteries plus simple instructions that were in separate bags. You do not get a HDMI or any other cables. The TV has a simple non-fussy design with approximately half inch bezel all around. The stand that comes with it is simple and screws on with two screws at each side. The stand footprint requires about 8.5 inches of depth to stand on which was perfect for the 11 inch thick mantle over our fireplace. (NOTE: We don’t actually use the fireplace and heat could potentially damage the TV) I like that the stand is low profile raising the screen about 2” above the surface it is standing on. This leaves a small gap for low profile devices like our WD live media hub and remotes, while also hiding most of the cables and extension chord.

Setup

The old analog phono inputs are on the back and quite hard to reach once the TV is up on the mantle and they protrude straight out the back which would require more space between the wall and the TV if you use them. The power cable plugs into a recessed area low down on the left side and doesn’t interfere with the location of the tv. All the modern input and output sockets are behind the screen on the right side about 8 inches back. We don’t use any subscription TV service; just a double bowtie antenna mounted on one of the gutter pipes at the back of the house. The coaxial input for the antenna along with three HDMI ports, an optical input, 3.5mm jack and USB socket are all here. We use two of the HDMI sockets one for the 1TB Media hub and the other for our notebook.

Once everything is plugged in and turned on. The TV introduces you to the basic setup process. It takes less than five minutes to find your way around. The remote is minimalist with the most basic controls on the front (Volume Up/Down toggle and mute buttons on the side). It’s small, unfussy and easy to use. The UI for the TV is not flashy but functional and easy to navigate. Setting up WIFI, registering your TV and introducing you to streaming channels and how to add them to your desktop are covered quickly and then you are left to your own devices.

Since we are just using an antenna we were initially a little apprehensive. Wondering how well that would work, or even if the TV had a tuner since everyone seems to use dish or cable these days. It has a tuner that works flawlessly. We managed to pick up almost 3 dozen channels many of them HD. A quick look online showed us a map of where the broadcast towers are and helped us aim our antenna for best reception.

In use.

The TV has a really nice clean picture and since it is an LED TV where a grid array of LED's light the screen uniformly rather than a couple of fluorescent lamps there is practically no limit to the viewing angle. The screen is not high gloss and prevents reflection and most glare from bright light sources. When turned on a non invasive 3” horizontal strip of illuminated plastic at the bottom shows you the TV is powered on. It flashes during startup and goes out when the screen is illuminated.

Image

Image quality is excellent BUT on initial setup it is on a bright echo setting. Which is very high contrast and overly saturated. I guess it is a power saving mode (claimed 16 watts) but it is a bit stark and overwhelming and shows some dithering on smooth color transitions as though it is running at a lower bitrate with fewer colors. When turned to theater mode the quality of the picture is MUCH better with very smooth transitions on subtle colour gradients.

Sound

Sound is similar. Like most LCD style TV’s this one comes with tiny speakers. Again the default sound setting seems to be very flat. Probably to conserve energy. There are about four presets and again we went with theater which gives the broadest range and warm midtones without overdoing the bass. It doesn’t sound too bad and is not thin and reedy like the default setting.

Smart TV functionality.

We originally wanted WIFI because as Amazon Prime members we get a lot of free on demand media. This is similar to Netflix where you can watch a huge catalog of TV and movies for free, buy or rent them for a small fee. The same goes with music. This worked perfectly.

What we weren’t expecting was the sheer volume of streaming media available for free via WIFI. There are hundreds of channels, many of them free to choose from, many mainstream ones that let you view their current episodes of popular shows on demand when you want to watch them. You can also sign up for pay for view services like HBO and showtime individually.

One nice thing is that the TV has a global search option. You can search for anything by title, director, actors name, character, keywords and the TV will find everything relating to your search and list what is available by channel. So you can easily pick out what you want to see.

Mobile devices and streaming from those devices

There are apps for Android and iOS as well as Windows. I was able to control the TV from all our devices. In many ways it is more responsive, especially if you need to type in text. If you have media on your PC there are Apps for the TV that will let you stream from your phone, notebook, desktop computer etc.

Streaming from those devices tends to work ok. I did find that the TV’s built-in media player was a little limited in supported data formats. Setting up our digital media hub with its own channel was very easy and luckily our Western Digital media hub has far more extensive support for many of the more exotic file formats like FLAC lossless digital audio. And other formats are more often limited to computers. The TV does support the more mainstream formats like mp3, mpg, jpg etc.

Conclusion

For us, this TV proved to be a very good and affordable purchase. Especially when you factor in the 6 months interest fee financing Amazon offers prime members. We did sign up for a free month of Netflix too. The remote has a dedicated Netflix and Amazon streaming button. But we were not that impressed with Netflix when our Amazon Prime membership offered all the same features and more thanks to the addition of Amazon Prime music.

When you combine all this TV’s features with our media hub and Amazon Prime we are a bit overwhelmed with the sheer amount of stuff out there to watch. Even if we had no antenna and just a WIFI internet connection. The vast number of free streaming HD channels is extensive making the need for TV subscription plans pretty much obsolete unless you have a very specific need.

We really like this TV and highly recommend it.
review image review image
5150+ comments| 3,057 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2015
UPDATE: 7/10/15: I am editing my review - so much has happened with TCL Customer Support since writing my original review...I must say I have never experienced such OUTSTANDING Customer Service!!! After seeing my review, TCL asked me to contact them regarding the problem TV, stating this was definitely an uncommon issue, and they wanted to do everything possible to remedy the situation -- not only just for me, but to make sure no other customers had to experience the same issue. I was asked to send the defective tv directly to TCL and not back to Amazon so TCL could troubleshoot and make every effort to resolve the problem. A shipping label was provided. They stand behind their product and wanted me to experience the TV I had purchased, so they offered to send it to me directly after a replacement had been viewed and tested at their center first. Thank you to the TCL rep: Chris L. for such prompt method of handing the situation and consideration!!

Now to the TV itself -- the picture is crystal clear - amazing! The Roku integration is terrific and so easy to set up and navigate -- you can go from satellite to blue-ray to antenna with just the push of a button. The same with the apps - once you set up accounts with each one -- there are so many from which to choose. Since mine is brand-new, I cannot yet speak of it in how it holds up long-term. But, I can definitely trust that there will be GREAT customer service if I ever need it from TCL again!
I have added a photo of the replacement tv showing there is no problem with the screen.

Original Review: [This model is defective -- we sent the first one back several days ago and ordered a replacement -- well, the replacement has the same problem - so it is obviously a defect....the plastic frame around the screen does not meet all the way around - leaving a horizontal line of light shining through on the top right screen area -- this is very distracting. I am attaching photos. We are sending back both for a refund. Very disappointed - as the Roku seemed really neat.]
review image review image
1212 comments| 1,719 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 4, 2017
I'm cautiously optimistic as I write this review.

I read a lot of negative reviews on this TV, and with the price to size ratio I was very hesitant to make the purchase.

However, I decided to take a risk and ship a 50" TV.

It arrived on time despite Amazon missing the shipping deadline. (I was very surprised about that.)

The box was HUGE! I know a lot of people here said that it was shipped and packed poorly. Mine came in about 3 layers of boxes with foam on them and was undamaged from shipping.

The picture is good, its very bright, surprisingly light weight for its size (our 60" is over 90 pounds, but this 50" is probably 30 or 40?)

The reasons I didn't give it five stars:
* It's kind of thick. I mean, that;s not a problem, but it makes it look "old" compared to many of the new more stylish thin TVs.
* The feeet are plastic and you use what appear to be plastic-tapping screws to mount them on. They don't seem flimsy, but it was unnerving threading your own holes into the TV.
* You need a Roku account and wifi connection to even use your TV. That's right, think you're gonna skip all that and go to your hdmi signal? Nope! It wont let you. It MAY even require you to be on wifi every time the TV powers on. I'm not sure. Roku tries to force you into giving them a credit card number to create the account. You don't have to, but it's very alarming at first glance that you're being asked to subscribe to use your TV. I dont use any services on this TV. I use HDMI to a computer and the computer does everything I need. I imagine this is why its cheaper, its sort of bundled with adware in this way. That's ok though, I guess.
*The remote. It's tiny and minimal. It has no channel numbers (I.. THINK this thing has a tuner? I didn't read. Doesn't matter but..) The worst thing about it is the volume buttons are on the side, and you're constantly turning it up or down to try to do things on the TV.

That sounds like a lot more negatives than positives huh? Well, the positives are pretty major and out score the negatives. Is it worth it? Yea! I think it is! Just don't expect miracles.
on August 21, 2016
WARNING!
If you plan to mount this to a wall, be aware the VESA pattern is 100 x 150, and most TV mounts DO NOT support this pattern. This has been a real problem. We like single stud mounting systems, and finding one that worked for this TV was not a good experience.

That aside - this TV is pretty good - but they really need to explain the difference between this and a normal TV. This is more of a Roku unit with a TV attached. Users may be confused by the tiny remote that just has some directional buttons and some dedicated buttons for Netflix etc. There is no numeric keypad, so cable-cutters beware! Although you can attach it to an antenna, changing channels is HARD. You basically have to step through all the channels instead of just being able to enter the TV station number.

The Roku side of things works really smoothly. Once you get used to the fact that your Antenna (or cable, or other devices) just appear as another Roku 'channel' in the HOME display, it's easy to work with. The remote has one problem though - it's really easy to hit the MUTE button by mistake - it's on the side of the remote instead of on the face - as are the volume controls. (Initially I thought I'd bought a TV with no volume control!) Haven't yet tried setting this up as a 'device' on my cable remote, and not sure if you can program a generic remote to work with the TV.
on April 19, 2016
TV is as describe. It is very light, weight approximated no more than 22 pounds. Remote doesn't have numbers and is about 5 inches long. Came with 2 batteries. It has 3 HDMI ports on the back. Easy to put settings on. First set it up with your network then set up the Roku account. Once you have active a Roku account the device gets active with the code that is display on TV. From there is just scrolling thru the different menus and setting it as you wish. It has several free channels for streaming movies, news and others. No need to plug in a computer or a devise to watch Netflix, Amazon, Holu, Youtube, Pandora, ihearts, etc. You only need to have an active account with them. You can pair it with your tablet or smart phone, send pictures to the TV or your favorite music, and listen on the TV, That is a big plus. Picture and sound is OK. Cons that I found; it only has one AV plug input for DVD player on the left side, and I needed another one for my Wii console. I will have to be switching between them. It also has only one USB port on the left side of the TV. The headphone connector is on the back. At less you have an extra long headphone cord,I don't see how can it be use. Legs are in a chip plastic material which worries me if they will last. TCL 40FS3800 40-Inch 1080p Roku Smart LED TV (2015 Model)
review image review image review image review image
on May 9, 2016
For the most part I really like this TV. It does excel in some areas but in there effort to simplify it they went too far in some ways. If you use it hooked up to cable or satelite the tuner is really good. BUT when you try to set it up for off air antenna feed where you have to rotate the antenna to multiple directions it will not work well. It selects what it gets a signal for in one setting but when you rotate direction for more signals it erases the first channels while searching for new channels. Then to go back to a channel you have to go through channel setup all over again! It needs to have an option to maintain channels and manually select a channel without having to go through the search mode each time. I plan on using this in an RV with 1 antenna. An option for a home setup would be an antenna for each direction but I don't have that option for an RV aplication. I may have to implement an independant tuner that can actually be tuned to a specific channel manually. One last thing on this subject. Before you select "Search For Channels" it would be nice to know if the antenna is even getting a signal. If the TV had a signal meter available for positioning the antenna direction for best signal strength it would be great. DirecTv has that feature, why can't TCL? Moving on to other features. The options for inputs/outputs are at a minimum. To hookup to an older sound system you will want to invest in an adapter to convert your optical out toslink connection to the composite RCA audio. Then there is only 1 composite input. I used that for the DVD. My DirecTv is SD so the option is either RF input or invest in an adapter to upscale the composite lines to HDMI to get the best picture. Yeah, that's right. another adapter. Ok, to wrap this up, I only gave this TV a 4 star rating because of the lack of features to make this unit more user friendly for many situations. Many may find these shortcomings to be of no concern. If I was using this in the house It would have been 5 stars! After having used this TV some more I have found some of the features that make it more useful. To find those features takes a LOT of trying this and trying that. If the TV had a built in guide where searching for HOW TO subjects was an option it would improve matters. Oh, and there is a "pause feature" on the remote. That requires a USB memory drive to be plugged in and then it only seems to pause what is being streamed. It doesn't seem to work on cable TV. Also, if you are using the USB port (there's only 1 port) for anything else you will need a USB hub adapter. Yea, another adapter. Still, for the price I paid and all the things this TV does with a nice picture it is worth the money I spent.
on March 9, 2016
I am very pleased with this TCL Roku TV and happy that I ordered it. I am 72 years old and worried that I might have made a mistake after ordering it. I couldn't have been more wrong. It was very easy to connect to the internet but I made a mistake in trying to connect it to my Dish Network. I called TCL customer support and was connected to a representative almost immediately. He was a very pleasant man with the patience of Job. Spoke slowly and solved my issue. I cannot say enough about the TCL customer support, excellent! I'm including a picture of it sitting on my electric fireplace.
review image
on April 24, 2016
TV screen went black 8 months after purchasing. TCL will not replace or refund. They are sending a technician out to fix the problem but they have given me no timeline or guarantees as to how or when. TV also freezed up a lot in the past and would restart on its own while watching a show or movie. Overall I'm not impressed with the quality and I don't like having to deal with such a drawn out repair process so I will be buying a tv from a different manufacturer and getting rid of this one once TCL finally repairs it.
on November 2, 2016
We've had this TV for about a week, and LOVE it! It is by far the most light weight TV I've ever owned, making it super easy to mount on my own. The controls are fantastic. The picture quality is good, and the sound is just fine. I purchased lightweight wall mount as well, and it fits PERFECTLY. So well that I highly recommend it too! https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000WYVBR0/ref=cm_cr_ryp_prd_ttl_sol_41

We've got the TV mounted in our game room, and it is a cinch to swivel to either the game table or the pool table. Love it.

Some reviews have been less than 5 stars because of the screen not fitting. It seems they've fixed the problem. And even then, the reviews were high because of the great customer service. I've not needed the customer service, as it's working great. I'd recommend to all friends and family.

I love it when stuff works GREAT!