YED Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Trade in and get paid instantly Shop Now STEM

Showing 1-10 of 55 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 97 reviews
on February 14, 2017
Kellerman has again written a highly entertaining, well written tale based on the interactions between his usual protagonists. Is it great literature? Of course not, but it's a fun read, an excellent story, with plenty of evolving twists and turns, and an excellent way to spend a couple of hours.
on February 17, 2017
have loved alex Delaware series for many years. this one was good, but not wonderful-- too many characters undeveloped. probably have to wait a year for the next one. thanks, jk, for keeping alex a part of our lives.
on February 15, 2017
They're like old friends you only see now and then. Alex and Milo...a good combination and always a nice read.
We always start with the victim. From there the author leaves no clues but steadily builds until you're trying to guess who done it . It's amazing how he builds the suspense and how he gradually pulls out all the answers .
Some old friends from previous books show up for a guest appearance.
A really good read with some unforgettable characters. I will be waiting for the next adventure...😊
on February 21, 2017
Likely one of the most boring books I've read in a long time. This book drug on until I thought I would lose my mind....not to mention that it was so convoluted and difficult to keep the cardboard characters straight. What is up with Alex? And...Milo? Who are they? Certainly NOT the characters I met 10 books ago. I spent many years in LE. Some research needs to be done if this is how an author believes police officers work...yeah, even the big guys...Homicide..You follow the evidence...not make up narratives to suit your imagination. I have rarely, if ever, seen anyone make so many assumptions, leaps into fantasy, and downright made up conjecture.

I would also like to know who the hell Robin has become...does she ever show any signs of being a real human being with a backbone, or does she simple "keep the home fires burning" so when the "men folks" get home, she can make them Sammiches? She was much more fun, and interesting when she and Alex broke up for awhile. At least she was a human and their relationship had some substance. Speaking of "back then", how many more years is Alex going to drive that Caddy? Seriously....isn't enough, enough? Let's move on.

There is literally no excitement in this book until the last few pages and even that is so unbelievable as to be laughable....sad to say, this is my last Alex Delaware book.
on February 24, 2017
I'm an obsessive fan of the Delaware series, purchased the Kindle edition of Heartbreak Hotel the DAY/HOUR it was released, put all responsibilities aside and settled in for this much-anticipated read. I knew from the start that this 32nd (?) book in the series was not going to engage me as the other series books had. I was put off by the writing style in this one. Using what I think is a new punctuation method for JK, using periods after phrases throughout the book, put me off and had me trying to assimilate JK's intent rather than focusing on the content. I found it to be disconcerting,

Too many cardboard characters and not enough introspection of any. With the exception of Thalia and Monark, I found just about all the other players to be pretty superficial and development of them not nearly up to snuff with other characters in this series. I completely agree with other reviewers that this book should not be read prior to getting a handle on the main characters. I understand the redundancy of not including an in-depth explanation of who Milo, Robin, Blanche, etc. are, but if the reader doesn't understand the intertwining relationships, it will appear that they are underdeveloped and not engaging to anyone who hasn't read a few of the previous novels.

It pains me to leave a substandard review of any JK books, as I completely recognize and appreciate the genius of Mr. Kellerman. I recently read The Conspiracy Club, not a series book, and enjoyed it as much as any in the Alex Delaware series. He is a master storyteller and has an innate imagination and ability to conjure up characters so that readers can climb into their souls. Perhaps the public outcry for the next book in the series put pressure on JK to push it out ASAP.

I've not given up; I'm a diehard fan of this series as well as all other books written by Jonathan Kellerman and will begin the wait until the next book, in or out of this series, is published.
on February 21, 2017
I have been reading Alex Delaware adventures since the beginning. I have always enjoyed them...with the exception where Alex ends up on an island for the whole story..forgotten the name of it.. I was equally a fan of Robert Ludlum. I loved everything he wrote...until the end when it felt (for all the world) that he was having some college student trying to write in his style. I am not saying this is the case with Mr Kellerman's latest but it seemed to be trying too hard to be the old Alex Delaware...too many jokes...an exaggeration of style....It felt like someone was trying to imitate the author. I thought maybe one of his children had written it under his name.However, it is a good book...and I will continue to buy Jonathan Kellerman's books as long as he writes them.
on February 22, 2017
Assuming you make it to the end of the book, you will find out whodunnit. But if you're like me, you won't care. There's mystery, but no suspense, no thrill, and barely any psychology to speak of. A thing happens, and Milo and Alex have to work out who did the thing, and it could be any of a number of people, and they find out who it is. Oh, and Robin made Milo and Alex a sandwich. Sorry, I should have prefaced that with "spoiler alert".
on February 21, 2017
Kellerman doesn't churn out the books like other authors, so the wait for his "next" novel is always worth it. And you don't have to go back and re-read previous books to "refresh your memory on the characters. Kellerman picks up where he leaves off and the continuity is exceptional. "Heartbreak Hotel" isn't one of the best Alex Delaware stories, but it's very good and worth the read. Am already waiting for the next one.
on February 21, 2017
I have read all of the Dr. Delaware books and for the most part enjoyed them but not this one. This was the worse one I have read in the series. I had to force myself to finish reading it because I hated to waste the money I spent for it. It was boring and I did not care for any of the characters. Hope the next book is better or I will give up on the series.
on February 23, 2017
Another great read by Jonathan Kelleman. More tenderness between Alex & Robin. When's the ring coming?
Milo was was as always, a great detective & love his humor.
Thalia was an such an endearing character, really made me sad at her demise....That's one lady everyone would have liked to have had a conversation with. I have now begun waiting in the next Delaware novel!