YED Best kids' books of February Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Luxury Beauty Beauty & Grooming Shop Popular Services GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes GoldenGlobes  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Oscar Central in Movies & TV Go Explore Outdoor Recreation on Amazon STEM

Format: Blu-ray|Change

Showing 1-10 of 343 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 438 reviews
on January 8, 2017
When I saw the teasers for this movie, I thought "Great, another Angry Birds movie. Just a bunch of crass fart jokes wrapped around a commercial thing that a certain group of people love, marketed as a kids/family movie, but probably too inappropriate and with too many jokes that will go over their heads. Probably no plot and very little moral-of-the-story. Not gonna feed that to my kid." And yet, I also lamented that, at the time, there were no other movies to show to my 4-year-old. So I watched another trailer and saw that the movie would be filled with song-and-dance numbers. "Hmm," I thought. "My son will love those. I mean...they don't look terrible. Maybe it won't be so bad."

Well, I'm here to tell you it was GREAT. It wasn't just good because I had low expectations (though that probably worked in its favor). I'm saying, as a father and as a professional storyteller, it was great. The plot was good (perhaps a bit predictable, but only in the large details, not necessarily in how the plot moves from A to B to C) and had enough pleasant surprises to keep me and my son entertained throughout. The songs were fantastic (they introduced my kid to some older music that I know and love, plus had some new stuff and a really good mix of genres). The animation was great. The characters were genuinely enjoyable to watch, and their actions had genuine consequences (something I really applaud in any story).

As for the fart jokes, yes there were a few of those (though much less than I thought), and they mostly consisted of one specific troll shooting glitter out of his bum whenever he was excited, scared, celebrating, fighting, etc. And since it was specific to the one troll (one who was covered with glitter and whose name was Guy Diamond)...it seemed perfectly appropriate and just irreverent enough to be funny without being offensive.

[SMALL SPOILER AHEAD]
What was perhaps the most surprising of all, though, was that Trolls had a genuine moral to its story—one that wasn't shoe-horned in there but was instead entirely authentic to the plot and characters we were presented. And the moral is this: "We don't need to rely on an external thing to make us happy. We can simply be happy...by choosing to be happy." I think that is something we can all take to heart no matter our age. It is also something we can never be reminded too often, and I think Trolls illustrates that idea very poignantly, without sermonizing and with more fun and pomp than I could reasonably ask for.

One note of caution: when I took my son to see this movie, he was worried it would be scary, and was very reluctant to see the film because he was under the impression the trolls in this film were like those that a certain hobbit had to fight... Well, these trolls were definitely not scary, BUT the "Bergen" that want to eat the trolls were a lot less kid-friendly. At one point, he asked me to plug his ears so that he wouldn't be scared, then he would close his eyes and peek out occasionally. I was worried we might have to leave the theater, but he stuck through it and LOVED the movie. Absolutely hands-down loved it (and especially the ending). I don't personally think his fear is reflective of the film being scary, but the film's evil cook is definitely a fearsome creature, and I could see the plot (cuddly protagonists trying not to get eaten by scary antagonists) being too much for some young viewers. Even so, I invite parents to give it a try as the theme, the songs, and the fun characters are certainly worth it.

FINAL VERDICT: I originally expected to despise this film and went to see it with great reluctance. When I left the theater, though, I found myself (no-longer-reluctantly) admitting that this was one of the best films I had seen that year (and I saw a fair number of family/kid-friendly movies in 2016). I eagerly encouraged family and friends to see it over the holidays, and I have been looking forward to buying it once it is released (so much so that I am pre-ordering it on Amazon). Even compared against what I have seen so far this year, it was far better than SING (which I saw just last week), as it has more musical numbers, more interesting characters, better moral lessons, and an infinitely better plot. I still enjoyed SING, mind you, but I had far more fun watching Trolls, and I expect anyone who watches it to have a similarly good time.
0Comment| 166 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 29, 2016
Who loves Trolls more? Me or my kids?? I think it's pretty even because we all love it so much!! Okay, I know it's forbidden to say anything negative about Disney movies, but we all know that there comes a point during a Disney Pixar where it gets boring, and the kids become restless. Yeah.. that does not happen with this movie. Both my kids (boy + girl) were intrigued from the beginning to the end. We, as adults, are engaged because the music is relatable; we know all the words to most of the songs already. Justin Timberlake is such a timestamp of the millennial generation, so if you are a parent, you are going to love Trolls. We also loved the underlining message throughout the movie. This movie was *special*, and we are looking forward to Trolls 2. They have to make this happen asap!!!
on January 23, 2017
This was the first movie my daughter sat through from beginning to end. She was mesmerized. Great writing. Great acting. Great singing. Just really great!
on January 30, 2017
Love this movie! Very musical and fun. Some parts are a little scary for kids in my opinion but overall a great movie.
on February 16, 2017
Don't understand the love for this movie. Most kids movies have something for adults to enjoy. This is a kids musical with a lame story and ok cgi. I cared nothing for any of the characters and was continously waiting for it to get better. It's not a bad movie but it certainly isn't a 5 star movie. This movie is better listened to than watched.
on February 15, 2017
The movie is great! The product (Blu-Ray+DVD+Digital HD) isn't so hot. The Blu-Ray doesn't work. Contacted Amazon and they sent us another as a replacement and that one doesn't work either. Checked the firmware of the BluRay we have and it's up to date. Did some research and realized others were having the same problem. Apparently there is a bad batch of discs that were put out that are unreadable. Going to return the replacement as well. Not happy with Fox over this one.
on February 15, 2017
Tremendous movie for young children and adults. I have two grandsons, 2 and 4. Hard to believe, but both have very discerning tastes in movies, particularly when they are full length. This work is filled with colorful images, great animation, a good story-line and a positive message. Yes, there is a message about happiness and it is very basic. However, it is a message that children will understand. I am absolutely blown away by the music. All the music was produced by Justin Timberlake and he made very wise choices. Timberlake worked with songs that adults will (or should) immediately recognize such as: "The Sound of Silence," "I'm Coming Out," "September," and "True Colors." In my opinion, this is a brilliant stroke by Timberlake who clearly demonstrates that he is a professional. Also, the performers/singers are excellent. Vocals by Timberlake, Anna Kendrick, Gwen Stefani and Zooey Deschanel are outstanding. My favorite, by far, is "September." I bought the Original Soundtrack based upon the film.
on January 27, 2017
We have already watched this movie 10 times and we just bought it last night!!! Our daughter who is 3 and our son who is 6 just can't seem to get enough of it!!! Plus they love to sing along. I must admit as an adult I find myself singing along as well!!!
on February 9, 2017
Got the DVD yesterday. My little five year-old friend came to see me today and we loved it. She danced and sang some of the songs. And I had to dance with her. Can't wait to watch it again by myself to see what I missed.
on January 30, 2017
I've seen this movie approximately 5 billion times now because my 5 year old is obsessed with it - so I have it memorized. Very upbeat and fun - all ages appropriate with beautiful music and singing, and a great message. When's the sequel coming out? (No really, I want to know because my daughter asks me every day AND I'm going to go crazy if I have to watch this movie one more time..) Haha. The only criticism I have is: Where are the bonus features???? That would have been such a great addition to the streaming video. We've really enjoyed watching the behind the scenes of other animated movies as a family - and my kids have learned so much (like the Inside Out bonus features from Pixar)... So - my only criticism is that we want more Trolls...that's a good thing, right?