Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

So I hear they are making a new blu ray format.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2012, 8:30:24 PM PDT
I was reading something earlier about a new blu ray format and had to pause the show I was watching and read more about it. They are making a 125 gig blu ray? What in the hell is the point of that? Movies look fine on DVD and great on blu ray. I just can not understand how many movies will use all this space. Blu ray is still new. Many people still have not switched from DVD. Plus, no body buys movies on discs anymore. A lot of people download them. I prefer to buy hard copies of my movies.

I wonder how much a ps3 would cost that could pay the new blu rays? I will not buy a blu ray player. No room. My PS3 does that for me. All the players and burners they have and they expect people to switch? Forget that. I'm happy with blu rays.

Posted on Nov 18, 2012, 12:27:37 PM PST
drdots says:
I don't think the format is changing, only the size of the disk. Sort of like a bigger hard drive. You should still be able to play the "new" 125 GB disk on old players. There may be some firmware updates coming down the road (likely because blu ray is an incomplete format) but I doubt there will be a higher res format for some years to come. It would mean a complete change out for all equipment (TV cameras, Video Cameras, Broadcast transmitters, TV sets) to accomodate the higher bandwidth necessary for higher definition (2560x1440).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 18, 2012, 2:03:25 PM PST
I think I heard that the laser is different. Some one was saying you would need a new player and TV for the things to work. The first 4k TV was just released or put out for pre order. It only cost $25,000 dollars. So, nothing for me or most people to worry about for a good while.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012, 11:29:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012, 11:29:59 AM PST
Grumbler says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  3
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 18, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

This discussion is about