Your Garage Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Discover it  Trolls Fire TV Stick New Professional Skin Care Halloween Amazon Cash Back Offer shameless7 shameless7 shameless7  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 All-New Kindle for Kids Edition AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

hmm so far the game... hmm could be a lot better

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-21 of 21 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 8, 2012 10:56:20 PM PDT
Juju says:
I dont care if this game has inspiration from SSB. but its lacking.. I actually really wish they just copy the whole smash bros formula... uhh i really am trying to be optimistic about this game but after playing the demo at target.. i cant even tel if it was funn. visually everything is beautiful but i can say the same about the gameplay... does anyone feel the same? characters are so stiff and Sly coopers moves just like sweet tooth which is weird.. hopefully the finished product awes me..

Posted on Oct 9, 2012 2:00:20 PM PDT
ever heard the phrase "This is a demo and is not a representation of the final product." You have no idea what build of the game the demo was pulled from. I was in the beta for the game and it has supposedly changed a lot even from that. I'm not worried about how well the game will play at all. The only thing I am disappointed about is the size of the roster, they wouldn't have had to make a story-line for each character, it would just be nice to have more options for competitive play.

Posted on Oct 17, 2012 8:47:29 PM PDT
I actually agree. I am very turned off by the fact that the only attacks that actually matter in this game are supers. I've played the beta for about an hour now and I'm rather disappointed on the whole. I really hope that there are other more dynamic modes of play available than what's in the beta, because frankly the beta sucks imo.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 7:32:56 AM PDT
Juju says:
yeah, it doesn't reward the player when they attack.. The fact I was hitting everyone so much and died instantly by sly cooper really fustrates me. I mean in Smash bros you know what can hurt you and kill you instantly.. so its not a surprise when you die..
I agree.. need a more attractive mode.. I wont judge completely on one but if theres no mode with damage or some sort of damage system.. this game wont get any better..
just played the beta version and only little things have change from the demo

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 12:11:58 PM PDT
packy17 says:
lol... The fighting game community said the same stuff about SSB when it came out because it turned a lot of traditional mechanics upside down. The catch-22 of PS All Stars is that everyone keeps giving it crap because it's too much like SSB, but then they complain when it's not enough like SSB. SSB is more of a defensive game, where you basically just have to stay alive more often that other players to win. This led to some of the best players kiting around the map and letting other people cause damage before coming in for the kill steal. In PS All Stars you have to be on the offensive at all times to build up your meter or you can't score any points. It makes the games faster, more strategic, and in my opinion more fun. Everyone keeps talking about how there's no "damage system", but there kind of is. You do damage to players, and eventually you kill them with meter. It's the same concept in reverse.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 1:00:23 PM PDT
I've never given this game crap for being too much like SSB. In fact I believe if they had stuck closer to their formula, this would have been a much better experience. As it is now, it's really lackluster and boring.

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 2:29:29 PM PDT
T. Reed says:
If they make the characters any smaller I could train my eyes to see cells at work without using a microscope.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 5:56:22 PM PDT
packy17 says:
That's your opinion (and probably the opinion of every SSB player that doesn't automatically hate it for being what it is anyway), but I simply disagree. The full game includes 1v1 and stock matches, which will probably be the most popular ways to play anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 18, 2012 6:50:16 PM PDT
As I said, I am very interested to see the other modes that this game has to offer, but I am rather disillusioned with the one currently available in the beta...

Posted on Oct 18, 2012 8:54:09 PM PDT
Tim Drake says:
I'm probly the only one who still loves this game after having played the beta (SSB fan, too), but I'm am very impressed.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 19, 2012 10:24:36 AM PDT
Juju says:
I'm not saying i hate the game.. I just dont really like the "main" mode.. I like the game in some sense but I guess I just really wanted a PS3 version of super smash bros.. but I had some fun but after losing 10 times although i had the most kills for 3 of those matches.. really ruins it for me.. if its true theres a "stock" mode then I'll see.. but so far the biggest problem.. is the camera. characters are so small.. hurts my eyes trying to find my character.. and the fact most of the time i dont know where i am..

the thing is this game could've been another SSB... which to me WOUULD have been a good thing.. I love SSB for wii.. and I have no problem with this game being similar.. I just wish it was a little closer to the formula.. or at least had the same damage system..

but seing it wont i guess.. giving it a chance might help them for the sequel

Posted on Oct 19, 2012 7:02:48 PM PDT
J. Fan says:
6 characters in the beta, final game only has 20, so we've already played 1/3 of the game!

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 6:19:41 AM PDT
Eddy V says:
So you aren't a fan of smash then coz you know you have to strain your eyes when the screen expands too! It is just nitpicking now and it is annoying. I'm a big smash fan. Have all three games. It is the main reason I bought a wii.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2012 8:22:43 AM PDT
Juju says:
Reallly? because last time i checked I played both.. and I'm a big Smash Bros as I have played all 3 more hours than all my other games combined with the exception of pokemon emerald and black 2... The game has that small problem.. I know because I played it and whenever I attack I wouldnt know where I was until 1 second later.. its not even the characters being so small that makes it so hard to see.. its mainly the fact colors of the stage blend so well with the characters.. which felt a little like playing in the pikmin stage for SSB BRawl where the colors would sometimes distract me from the characters.. it might be me as I have color blind problem.. but some others reported having same issues so its probably not just me and color blind problem

Posted on Oct 22, 2012 9:09:53 AM PDT
Eddy V says:
Never had that problem in either game. Again just nitpicking like everyone else. If it is an exact copy and it sucks people will blame it for being an exact copy. I hear the same crap everywhere. If you want smash do not play this game. It is an inspiration. There have been others before this game. More than 10 and yet Sony gets this crap. Why? It is because it is Sony and only Nintendo can have mascot brawlers? They are both great games, yes even the beta. But, again I say, if you are expecting smash you will be disappointed because of your confirmation bias.

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:09:40 AM PDT
J. Pardee says:
I really don't understand this argument that attacking is useless in this game. The attacks might not be doing direct damage but without attacking you have no way of building up your meter for super attacks which is what kills your opponents. If anything, PS:All Stars makes it so you have to stay in the fray and keep on fighting more than Smash Brothers would require. Dodging is still a necessity so you don't get knocked down but some practice is also required to keep watching everyone's meter so you know who to watch out for.

I have thoroughly enjoyed the beta just from the one match I have played with each character. Each character has different strengths and weaknesses so you have to know what types of attacks to use and when to do them.

And to the original poster, I don't see how you think Sly Cooper and Sweet Tooth are the same because their movement speed and types of attacks weren't similar at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 23, 2012 8:02:29 AM PDT
Juju says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Oct 23, 2012 7:47:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 23, 2012 8:58:46 PM PDT
I love the rush of people who defend this game whenever a differing opinion on it is offered. Automatically everyone who dislikes this game falls into this apparently mindless group of people who "wouldn't like this no matter what Sony did." Umm...sorry, but no.

I quite agree with Juju. I wanted a Smash Bros with Sony characters. When I first saw the trailers for this, that was what I got in my mind. That is what I looked forward to. I don't think this idea is unheard of or ridiculous by any means. I wanted them to follow the formula of the game I truly enjoyed over 3 iterations with the very best characters from the previous generations of Sony. From this, based on my experience with the beta, I was very unsatisfied. Does that mean YOU should hate this game because I did not like it? NO! We're merely stating our opinions of how we felt about the beta version of this game. We felt it was rather lacking. I'm quite sorry that every review you people read for this precious game is not exploding with high praise. Now kindly GET OVER IT! We are entitled to our opinion on it as well. Obviously if you are "[hearing] the same crap everywhere" this is not an unpopular opinion. Congratulations to you for being one special snowflake who (against a large number of people) actually liked this game. This does not make our opinion any less valid. To be honest, I purposely did not read any reviews for this game prior, because I wanted a completely unbiased experience. Based on that unbiased experience, I thought this beta quite frankly sucked (for a large number of reasons).

Number one, there is no damage system. I get the fact that attacks build your super gauge, but supers are still the only attacks that really matter. You can kick the crap out of everybody with Kratos/Parappa/whoever melee style, but if you can't land your supers effectively, you lose. I don't like that. I feel that characters should AT LEAST have some kind of lasting effect from multiple attacks. If you get knocked around for a solid minute, you should not be able to bounce right back up like nothing happened and destroy everyone with a super. You should have decreased movement speed, lower jumps, less effective dodges, or SOMETHING until you finally get KOed and come in fresh.

Number two, I agree that the palettes for mirror characters are often difficult to distinguish. Especially with people like Radek and Sweetooth (who only have slight alterations in tint), I often lose track of my character. Would this get better with time and practice? Likely. But, I feel that they should have made the mirror palettes much more dynamic to make the task a bit easier (especially when you have dynamic backgrounds that are constantly changing). For the characters they actually did this with, I have no complaints. Pale Kratos with red stripe and black Kratos with red stripe. BOOM. I can distinguish those easily. Parappa with blue shirt and orange hat, Parappa with red shirt and blue hat. I can easily track those. Blueish gray coat Sly and gray coat Sly...not so much (especially on a predominantly grey character who stealths a TON).

Number three, there are characters in the game whose supers (the only way to kill people) are obviously better than others at that level. Now I'm not talking about different supers. I understand characters are different and should have different ways of killing people. But let's take an example. Fat Princess vs. Sly. They both have a short dash forward that kills everyone in it's path. However, Sly's is WAY better than FP's. FP's has a slight delay, and does not have the lingering effect of Sly's. Even if Sly misses the initial charge, people who are standing (or enter the range of) where his partner falls to the ground for half a second after are still KOed. Another example would be Radek's and Sly's final super. Same principle, but Radek's has a much more accurate aim and fire rate which makes it easier to get kills.

Number four, the build rate for attacks is INCREDIBLY uneven. For example, with FP, no matter what attack I use (or maybe I just haven't played her enough), her attacks do not build her gauge at anywhere near the rate of say Parappa or Kratos. With those two, I can have a level one super in a matter of 10-20 seconds into the match. FP takes me MUCH longer.

Number five, all the characters are unlocked from the very beginning. This, for me, is an immediate turn off for ANY fighting game. Half of the fun for a fighting game imo is playing to unlock everything. Sure, I love deathmatches online, but I really enjoy the traditional fighting game experience of playing the arcade mode to unlock secrets/characters/etc. This is something that I hold not only against this game, but many of the fighting games that have come out recently.

These are just a few of the many reasons why I did not like this game. It's not only because "they didn't copy SB." That's PART of it, definitely. I would have liked to have seen many parts of that formula implemented. But there are many other factors to this game that worked together to turn me off. Maybe the actual game will be different than the beta. As I said, I'm interested in seeing the other game modes to see if it can change my mind. However, from the only experience I've had with this game (THE BETA), I am rather disappointed.

Posted on Oct 24, 2012 10:30:43 AM PDT
A. Nwedo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Nov 8, 2012 8:19:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 8, 2012 8:20:10 PM PST
wolfmando says:
Love the beta. Gameplay is extremely addicting. The mechanics are well balanced for the hardcore fighting fans and the casual crowd. Balancing still needs perfected...but it IS a beta. And for the problem with attacks not doing damage, I refer you to the above commentator- J. Pardee says: *He is spot on.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:45:02 AM PST
saskamazon says:
from the Beta, Sly was my fav. character to play as ... he can really do some damage & defend well with being invisible ! great game, preordered & ready to play ! :-) the 2 vs 2 matches were my fav. we used Radec & Sly - great combo - of course with the full game, we'll have more options ....
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  21
Initial post:  Oct 8, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 10, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

This discussion is about
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.3 out of 5 stars (510)