Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

In your "humble" opinion...Which console is best? and most importantly...WHY?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: May 9, 2010, 6:21:12 AM PDT
P.Logik says:
There are countless arguments across the web about which console is better. Many poor arguments are made, but generally, when reading many of them,you leave with the feeling that most
of the comments are more from an emotionally charged standpoint and not a straight-forward feature\enjoyment basis.I don't like to use words like "fanboy" etc..(d@mn!!! I just did it) It's obvious people like what they like, But... A "reasonable" person should be able to explain their reasoning without resorting to any kind of bashing of the other side.With that in mind...LET'S GO!!!

Posted on Jun 9, 2013, 1:34:06 PM PDT
Coleman says:
All around, I stick to either PC or PS3 at this point.

There was a time when I played the 360 exclusively and believed what people would say about it - that you were paying for quality in Live, that you were getting the best deal, etc. And yeah, early in it's life span this is true. The blade dashboard was amazing, simple and elegant. Party chat was a necessity, and was basically the only good cross game chat app around. I remember Major Nelson saying things like (not a direct quote) "You pay for Live to keep the advertisements out", and all in all the future of gaming looked good.

Then things started getting... weird.

The NXE dashboard was introduced. Human avatar Mii ripoffs were introduced. That's fine, I thought at the time, Nintendo has Miis and Sony is doing whatever with HOME, so MS is just trying to cater to that crowd. But some other red flags were popping up - I remember paying for Live, launching my 360, and having a McDonalds ad *streamed* to my dashboard before I could press down and launch the disk. Not just a static image... An in my face advertisement for hamburgers.

I kept saying it was worth it. For Gold members, they started projects like 1 vs. 100 which was actually very interesting and I have good memories of friends and I hanging out answering questions. There was also Netflix Party where my friends and I could rip on bad movies together. Sure it wasn't everyone's thing but these were features that made me say "Alright, this makes Gold worth it".

In the mean time, I picked up a PS3 because I had gotten a shiny new HDTV and always wanted to check out blu ray movies on it. It didn't get too much use, and I did end up buying a handful of games to kind of switch over to when the Live drama started happening between my Internet pals. Gradually, MS started dropping their interesting features like 1 vs. 100 and Netflix Party. When I hopped into party chat, it would just be fighting. For some reason everyone I knew on Live was getting bitter, until oddly enough my 360 red ringed.

Instead of just running out to get a new 360, I figured I'd try out the PS3 for a while. I was a weird adjustment at first, getting used to the XMB, no party chat, and not paying for online play. I had heard that PSN was terrible, and there are some aspects I wish Sony could fix and hopefully are for the PS4 like patch download times and game install times. Other than that, the actual playing online aspect is very much the same as playing with someone on Live, which had me wondering why I was paying for Live in the first place.

They introduced PS+ which at first was just kinda... meh. Later down the road they made it very obvious that Plus was a necessity if you like having a digital library with discounts on top of discounts for Plus users and freebies. The most Microsoft ever did for me as a loyal subscriber was give me twenty five cents on my birthday (10 MS points).

Now that I've adjusted to the PS3, I can just get back to playing my games. I recently bought my little brother a 360 as a graduation present and as we were setting it up together, Microsoft as introduced this weird dashboard with all these tiles with all these advertisements. They've lost any willpower to make Live appealing at all unless you like advertisements and party chat, which is now circumvented in the year 2013 with many multi chat applications like Ventrillo and Skype. Party chat has kind of lost it's appeal when any Joe Schmoe has Skype on their person at all times, rather it be a phone, tablet or PC.

And to not sound completely fanboyish, yes, I PC game too. As much as I like the PS3, it and the 360's age is showing with both machines having 512 MB of ram (and the PS3 splitting that in half). Some games are great to have just as a sit-on-the-couch and share experience with the family. Then there are Steam sales and man... It's hard to fight them.

In closing, especially with this Xbone revealing, it seems like Microsoft has forgotten the people who helped put them at the top, the gamers. Every empire crumbles eventually, and it's not surprising to see Microsoft executives pull a Sony via 2005. And hell, MS could be the humbled manufacturer after this upcoming generation and Sony could go right back to the RIIIIIDGE RACER $599 attitude they had before. Unless tomorrow Microsoft shows off something that absolutely, 100% has me screaming back for more, I'll most likely be going PS4/PC next generation. And maybe a Wii U as a accidental drunken purchase.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  May 9, 2010
Latest post:  Jun 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about