Industrial Deals Beauty MagazinestoInspire STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-8 of 8 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 9 reviews
on November 28, 2012
This is one of those unusual tools which doesn't seem to have any limitations on how you use it or compromises in its design. Everything you'd want to do, you can do. I won't re-state all the possibilities the manufacturer lists in the Quick Start guide above, but suffice it to say that you can connect lots of anythings to lots of other anythings and control all the routing between in any way you want.

The huge description provided by iConnect above is testament to their investment in quality and their attention to detail. The device itself has a metal case, which you want in a portable unit that'll get knocked about. It has proper indicator lights that intuitively show the routing and the flow of MIDI messages in real time - great for debugging complicated MIDI setups. It's small and light for portability, but heavy enough and with good enough rubber feet that the weight of the various cables doesn't drag it around your desk; in other words, it stays where you put it, which is a real breath of fresh air. Latency... Non-existant, as far as I can tell. This thing flings MIDI around, multiplexing it to various ports, filtering unwanted messages and supporting all kinds of configurations without any timing errors at all. I ran a 32nd note sequence out of Logic at 500bpm and I got a perfect, flat buzz out of my iPad synth - no wavering, no glitching. I tried hugely more complicated sequences with a hardware synth, Maschine, a USB-MIDI keyboard, and iPad synth and Logic and the timing was rock solid all the way through. Even the packaging is nice, just a small box, no stupid plastic, no annoying clips, with an array of *global* plugs for the tiny wall wart (for once, an appropriate PSU.)

I was shopping for a $30 iRig when I bought this. It's expensive, no doubt, but it's opened up ways of working in my studio that I simply didn't have before. I'm also a developer making iOS music apps and this tool helps me replicate weird customer setups without buying additional hardware. I don't think of this as $150 more than the iRig; I think of it as saving me a wasted $30.

What would I change? I'd replace one of the USB-B ports with another USB-A, so you can connect your iPhone/iPad using any standard cable instead of the (usefully long) USB-B->iPhone cable. I'd also have it so it can charge an attached iPhone.
on June 16, 2013
I like it. Would have gone 5 but for the price - not sure I understand that - but the way this is built - think of this as 4.5 stars. For this money dump the wall wart power supply and have a line cord plug into it -

The interface is flawless. Just works - and built such that I imagine I will never need to replace it.
on September 30, 2012
I have a Yamaha DGX-505 portable grand piano that I bought many years ago and wanted to use it to play Rock Band 3 songs since it was gathering dust and I was wearing out the little keytar that I bought for the game. After purchasing the PlayStation 3 Rock Band 3 MIDI PRO - Adapter I was frustrated to find out that my keyboards didn't have standard round MIDI DIN connectors that the MIDI PRO adapter needed. Apparently Yamaha supports MIDI over USB only. To add insult to injury, the MIDI format is apparently proprietary.

After an extensive search and contacting Yamaha customer support, I ran across this product. I was assured that it would convert MIDI over USB to standard DIN MIDI. When it arrived and I hooked it up I was disappointed to see that it was registering nothing on the LED lights and Rock Band 3 didn't recognize any notes. Deeply frustrated, I took the MIDI interface to my computer, downloaded the latest firmware and ran the update (the firmware is a MIDI file that you play in Media Player and it sends it to the MIDI interface - make sure you turn off Repeat if it is on!). After about 2 minutes, the update was complete and I took it back to the keyboard... SUCCESS! It now bridged the MIDI gap between the Yamaha DGX-505 and the Rock Band MIDI adapter! PROBLEM SOLVED!

One awesome feature is the ability to change the voices at the keyboard (violin, drums, etc), hear them AT THE KEYBOARD and still hit the correct notes for Rock Band! My bandmates love hearing a genuine piano/synth/etc in the background - absolutely a mind blowing experience for ColdPlay or other rock keyboard fans!

Going outside of the product review a bit, but to give an idea of my awesome setup, I found that when playing, my back was to the other band members using the widescreen TV about 25 feet across the room. Needless to say, unless I want to look at notes over my shoulder at a distant TV while playing, this is a serious problem. Since my Yamaha RX-A1010BL 7.2-Channel Network AV Receiver has dual (simultaneous) HDMI outputs, I ran 50' of Aurum Ultra Series - High Speed HDMI Cable (50 feet) With Ethernet - CL3 Certified - Supports 3D and Audio Return Channel to a Westinghouse LD-2240 22" Class / LED / 1080p / 60Hz / HDTV (bought elsewhere) and mounted it about 7 inches above the keyboard to a thin VESA wall mount - Awesome! Now I can see the same image that my band mates are playing and have my own personal display so I don't have to worry about anyone blocking the notes! The WOW factor for friends and family is just tremendous. I've played my keyboard more in the last two weeks (and got better at it!) than I have in the last 8 years! The fun factor for Rock Band nights has shot through the roof and everyone has an awesome time! My neighbor heard the keyboard and came over to ask how I got so good at playing! Heck, he even joined in (since he plays piano professionally).

The MIDI interface is expensive (hence the 4 star instead of 5 rating), but yes, it gets the job done and works with zero latency (important for those rapid key parts!). All in all, I'm extremely satisfied with my decision to buy this product!
on October 5, 2012
Built like a tank, does as advertised. Only quibble is I wish it could be powered by something other than a wall wart. I bought it so I could use a mini midi keyboard whilst travelling thru my iphone with garage band. iphone doesn't accept midi powering via the camera adapter (but ipad does) so you need an interface like this to run a keyboard, as small a current drain as the keyboard might be.
on April 19, 2013
I have a combination of older legacy equipment using the old DIN MIDI connectors and some newer ones that only have USB, so this little gadget fits the bill. However, it is more suited for the MAC platform in terms of customizability. It works on PC's but you can't change assignments, etc.
on July 1, 2013
This box is very versatile. When it comes to MIDI nothing else does what this box does. The reason I bought it was the fact that it offers a host service USB connection between my iPad and a USB MIDI keyboard. This host connection eliminates having to use a PC or laptop between the USB MIDI keyboard and iPad. I use my setup to play live music – Not having to bring a laptop to the gig is very important to me. The USB host connection can be used with a powered USB hub to expand the host services up to 7 MIDI devices on USB – absolutely nothing else on the market does this. It also does the standard 5 pin din MIDI and offers all kind of MIDI routing and filtering. For some reason this new iMIDIConnet is discontinued – I can only assume the manufacture is having finance or manufacturing problems because it is THE BEST MIDI device on the market for iOS period. It also can be used as a USB MIDI interface to a PC. It can even do 2 MIDI connection to separate PCs/MACs at once while hooked to 6 other MIDI USB devices and 16 other 5 pin din MIDI devices. If you are wanting to connect a iPad, iPod or iPhone to a USB MIDI keyboard this is the only device that will do it without a PC or Laptop. Good luck finding one.
on June 10, 2015
this design is my favorite i got the last one buy-able which had one broken usb port. That is okay as you can not buy them anymore
on July 6, 2013
Bad instructions for updating firmware of it. I had to use Cubase to do it. The lights that are blinking much differently using a DIN connection vs. a USB one aren't explained. Not sure it's worth the money or not.