Industrial Deals Beauty Summer Reading STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 21 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 64 reviews
on December 15, 2010
I purchased one of the earlier iGo laptop chargers, and used it for years, with the optional splitter to allow it to also charge my phone and PDA at the same time. Great gadget. With this new version, they've changed the design so that a) it shuts off when the current drops below a trip threshold, and b) that they are going to the USB charger approach, so assuming that whatever device you have can be charged via either a standard USB-A connector (which is on this charger), or through one of iGo's USB charge adapter cables.

My gripes are - first, for folks that are used to their older chargers which just "worked", this thing should have a more obvious "Press here to start charge" on it. I actually wasn't sure if it was even working, when I plugged it in, and the laptop indicated no charge happening. I had to read the quick start guide to figure out that you need to push the big green button to make it work. They really should have designed it so that when you plug it in to the wall it should ASSUME that you want to charge something (why else would you plug it in??), and turn it self on.

Second - it also should have a mode where it will run for an extended period as a "normal power provider" (always on, aka NOT green), where it would continue to source a small amount of current to a laptop in use, to keep the laptop in "AC Run" mode. There is no reason they couldn't make a default where it will run for say 4 hours automatically after plug in, and after than go into its power save mode. Or, use a "hold the button down" to lock place it into this mode, then after a while revert to "green mode" (again, maybe 4 or 6 hours) and shut off completely when charge is done.

As a wish list item (assuming a product designer of this thing might actually read this) - it could optionally go through a cycle, where even after it has shut it self off, it could wake up periodically and check the charge on the device it's connected to (perhaps every few days) to help keep your battery charged, since many batteries don't like going in to deep discharge (which is exactly why most companies chargers always stay on in trickle mode, wasting that little bit-o-juice).

Finally, some of the toys out there require more than 5VDC (or even AC) to charge them, so a USB charge adapter doesn't work. So, if your toy doesn't already charge from a USB cable/power supply, you will likely need to buy yet another adaptor, since it won't work with this one. I'm sure Amazon would be happy to sell you one...

I hope this unit also gives me the years of service that the previous one did (which my wife still uses).
on June 19, 2012
I've been an Amazon customer since it first came live on the web and this is the first time I've ever thought about sending a product back. As an IT professional I'm use to digging into stuff in order to figure out how to make things work. That said, I shouldn't have to do that with a battery charger. I did, however, do lots of digging and...still no luck. Pushing the button causes the thing to come on for all of a few seconds regardless of how low the battery is in my laptop. I would have thought the thing is defective if it hadn't been for so many people having the same or similar problem. I've wasted more time in my life trying to get this thing to charge than one would for something much, much more important say planning a wedding or the like.
on February 20, 2014
I have two of these, one I bought a few years ago, and then one I bought a few months ago, which died today. That one was purchased to replace one that died a few months before that. I gave the iGo a second chance because the first one I bought has been such a champ, and once in a while you get a bad one. But two in a row? That can't just be bad luck. It seems that either this company is offering factory seconds, or there has been a design change that makes these iGo chargers much less durable.

So I'm now going with a cheapo $7 charger - those die in a few months too, but they are much cheaper to replace.
on January 12, 2014
I bought this charger in January of 2013 and it just died today. I bought it to replace the iGo that my dog chewed up. What I liked most about this charger was the various different tips it came with for different brands of laptops. We had a friend visit and they were able to use our charger with one of the tips provided.

I am replacing this charger with one I am buying directly from HP that is half the cost. I will not be spending $38+ to replace it again.
on February 6, 2012
I bought this charger in attempt to be a little greener - I work off a laptop on the road 4 days per week. I had hoped to switch to a charger that would not run constantly, as the laptop is always on and at night is usually plugged in at a hotel.
The first time I used it, it worked fine, but after that, it hasn't charged my computer at all. This was surprising because a number of colleagues use this. Back to the stock Lenovo charger for travel. I'm switching to the green surge protectors at home but will still with the original equipment on the road.
on February 8, 2013
A lot of people have complained about having to press the middle button to make it start the charge, but I really love that about this item. I leave mine plugged in all the time, and that option enables me to turn it off when I'm not using it (less of a fire hazard & saves energy). I also really enjoy the extra port because I charge my phone in that one while my laptop charges. Also mine came with a car charger too that I was not even aware of.

Anyway, this is a wonderful product and I will definitely continue to buy iGo!!
on November 2, 2012
It seemed like a great buy at the time. I get this charger and there are barely directions on how to use this thing. I am flying internationally this weekend and I want to know how to use this on the plane (On the package it says you can use it on a plane) It seems impossible that it could be used on the plane with the types of chords that I received. I have tried searching the internet about this and nothing. Contacted support and got nothing. I am lost.
on January 10, 2012
I bought this because one of my friend recommended it. I went ahead and bought it on amazon, it works bit there's this static sound it makes when I plug it into the outlet. At first I thought the sound will go away after a few minutes but it's still doing it but it seem to work fine the only problem is that sound and it's annoying! Over all happy with the product because it charge my computer plus it's environmental friendly and I save energy using it.
on June 6, 2013
This charger is nice, if i read the description more clearly I would have realized you have to consistantly push the button after a full charge to keep charging. Like the USB port. LOVE how it comes with car adapters. Only gripe is that it says it comes with ASUS plug, and it was no where to be found. I told them and they said they would ship me an asus adaptor. Still waiting since march.
on June 12, 2012
Contrary to iGo's claims, this charger does not appear to be compatible with the Lenovo Thinkpad T520. It failed to charge my laptop at all, and therefore I had to return the charger. What use are all those tips and the car charger attachment and a sleek design if the unit cannot perform its basic function?

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.