Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 277 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 336 reviews
on October 17, 2011
I purchased this speaker system last February and so far it has been a great little portable iPod system. It is super compact, has great sound, and the battery last for at least 12 hours of playtime.

My only issue is that there is no way to lock the power button or remove the battery. This becomes an issue when you want to travel with the speaker system (which is the primary reason I bought this). The power button is super easy to tap accidentally and when you have it packed in suitcase or backpack the slightest little bump will turn the thing on.

Not a big of deal when your destination has power and you can plug it in to an outlet... But there have been multiple occasions when I fully charged the system, packed it up, then took off for a camping trip. Only to find that when I want to use it that the power got turned on during travel and the speakers only have one bar of power left or are completely dead... Which immediately voids all the positive aspects and turns it into a useless block of plastic and metal.

So basically, it's a great little speaker system for the home or a travel destination with access to power, but completely useless if you ever want to take it camping or use it in a similar no power situation.
66 comments| 105 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 30, 2012
I purchased this portable speaker system for my desk at work, where I keep a dedicated iPod Classic. I was looking for a small system that would easily co-exist with my paperwork and desktop computer. But it would also have to deliver treble and bass notes with a clarity usually found on much more expensive main speaker units like the Definitive Technology speakers in my home setup. My musical tastes at work gravitate towards classic jazz and Sinatra-era vocal standards. So I'm not interested in loud party music at work. The quiet passages would have to be impeccable, and the instruments would have to sound like real instruments. This pint-sized iHome system doesn't get in the way of the music, and I was pleasantly surprised to fine such big sound on a relatively miniscule speaker system. I highly recommend this system for non-critical listening.
VINE VOICEon January 13, 2011
The iHome iP46 is a great little speaker unit. It couldn't be more plug and play right out of the box. Just press on the retractable dock, attach your iPod or iPhone, power the unit on and it plays. And for a set of speakers that only measures 3.6 x 1.9 x 13 inches, it sounds a lot bigger. In fact, the thing is loud enough to play in a room full of people and still be heard with decent sound.

One of the best parts is that it adds another charging station to our house full of iPhones and iPods. You don't even need to turn the power on for it to charge your device. You DO need to have the AC adapter plugged in for it to charge devices.

We keep ours attached to the AC adapter (included) most of the time. But the thing is great to take outside (in nice weather of course). The battery(ies) last for like 8 hours before it needs recharging and you can monitor the battery life with the built in 4-bar LED battery indicator light on top of the unit. The actual battery is not replaceable by the consumer; like your iDevice the battery is 'supposed' to last for the life of the unit.

The only other buttons on top of the unit are power, SRS Sound on/off, volume up and volume down.

On the back of the unit there is an auxiliary input so you can play music by attaching your iPod to the dock or you can use the unit with any device by connecting with a 3.5mm jack audio cable. Also on the back of the unit is a is a switch labeled "Remote" that can be set to auto or on. I found this curious because the unit did not seem to come with a remote control of any sort. After a little searching it turns out that a remote control can be purchased separately...what a gip.

The best feature of the iP46, aside from how good it sounds, is its portability. Whether you're renting a ski house, spending some time in a hotel or just plain going somewhere that you'd like to be able to listen to your music without headphones, you've found the answer here. The iP46 weighs less than 3 pounds and is super easy to pack. The dock retracts into the unit and the little legs that help it stand upright fold under the unit so that you're left with a small rectangular box that takes up barely any room in your travel bag.

When we're not traveling, our iP46 has found a home in the kids' media room. Like I said earlier, we don't store it because it adds another charging station to the house. Plus the kids like to use the iP46 while they play Playstation. Now they can listen to music and use their mics while they game. Happy days.

The iP46 seems a little pricy, but it's built well and I think we'll get our money's worth.
on February 10, 2013
We bought this for our 10 year old for Christmas. It is supposedly the same brand and model of one I have used for two years with no problem. However this stopped working after a couple of weeks so we exchanged it for another which also stopped working after a couple of weeks. We returned the second one for a refund and bought another brand at a local store that we could inspect before purchasing. When compared to my older iHome speaker this is built cheaply and the docking station seems unsound and wobbly. Needless to say this turned out to be a huge disappointment and we do not recommend wasting your time ordering it The one good thing about this experience is Amazon made them very easy to return and provided excellent customer service.
on October 10, 2013
I purchased this product in January of 2012 and it still works great. Haven't had a single problem with it.

It keeps charge while playing music for around 4 solid hours. Which makes it pretty good for camping trips if you don't want to waste the money on an electric camp site. It also charges rather quickly, a full charge in around 30 minutes.

The sound is also spectacular, for being such a small speaker set I'm amazed at the quality sound and bass it puts out. Also it gets more than loud enough for pretty much anything. I love blaring music in my house and while I work and I can't remember a single time I've turned the volume all the way up.

So if you're looking for a small portable speaker system you don't have to keep plugged in, then this is perfect for you. I take it camping with me, in the bathroom for showers, and to work with me. It allows me to easily take music anywhere I want to go.
on September 23, 2013
I bought this dock a little over a year ago... I hardly used it except when I was training clients. I kept it plugged in and had the same IPOD Shuffle connected the whole time. I unplugged it about 3 times to use it in a different room, and it worked very well. The sound was great and the battery life was excellent. Recently I undocked my IPOD to update the songs and now the dock no longer works. It says the device is not compatible, then it plays anyway for about a song before it completely turns off. Now it won't even work for other devices unless it is plugged in to the wall. Very disappointed. I loved this dock and had planned on purchasing two more! I would exchange it but it is clearly past the date to so so.
on June 8, 2015
This speaker works really well so far. Very impressed with the quality. It is a 30-pin adapter (which means it is compatible with old iPod/iPhone connections). It's a little heavy but that doesn't bother me one bit. I like the pop out ihome part as it makes easy for storing or packing. I also purchased a Bluetooth conversion piece (which is the black square pictured) and it was very easy to set up. Definitely worth the buy and the wait!
review image
on December 1, 2015
I had no idea I was buying used, but at the price, perhaps I should have expected it. Overall it arrived in good condition but had no manual or remote, which I'm sure I would have noticed in the ad. Sound is great if you are within 5 feet of it. Get 10 or 15 feet away and the sound quality decreases sharply with distance. Very tinty. Nowhere near as good as my old one whose brand I cannot remember. Not real happy. Would never buy this again or from this buyer, whose description was not very clear about the missing pieces.
on July 14, 2012
I bought this system a few months ago before my summer vacations, and it worked out great. The sound is resepctable considering the price, but the small size and long battery life made it worth the purchase. I took it out camping and with me to the beach (though I didn't take it out on the beach) and it worked well. I held onto the original packaging and store it in there when traveling, but it doesn't take up a lot of room. The battery seems to work pretty good so far, I ran it continuously through a playlist of over 150 songs, (though the speakers were not on full blast) and there was still plenty of juice left in the battery.
My only concern is the connection port to the Ipod, in which it stows away when not in use, but pops out for when you want to connect your Ipod. It seems a little flimsy and I feer that at some point from prolonged use, it may eventually break. But it works fine so far.
on January 18, 2013
I bought this for one of our sons as a Christmas gift for use with his iPhone 4s. I recently asked him what he thought about the speaker dock and if he was happy with it. He said it worked fine and had pretty good sound for the size of the unit. Only issue he said is that it tends to fall back unless you have it leaning against something. Other than that, he was very happy with it... but then it was a gift so don't know if he would think otherwise if he had purchased it himself. Don't know exactly why it tips back but the manufacturer needs to resolve this as it's ridiculous that unit can't stand upright by itself. I don't know if the weight of the phone and the fact that phone sticks up of the unit is enough to cause the tipping over. I know that if I purchased this product for myself and it tended to tip backwards, I would not be too happy about it and might even return it. Had this product not had this negative aspect, I would have given it 4 stars at least.