Industrial Deals Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis National Bike Month on Amazon

Format: Paperback|Change
Price:$5.65+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 30 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 42 reviews
on January 22, 2010
"Grateful" is the only word I can think of when I read books like this. I can appreciate one reviewer's comment when they said they were "late for the Video party." I'm so late for the party, I thought everyone would have gone home, the food put away and the lights out. I'm 80 years old and setting forth on an exhileratingly new adventure. Although I've danced (and taught dancing) for over 60 years, it has become obvious that it's almost impossible to pursue my passion without a certain amount of digital and electronic knowledge. I had absolutely none. Not only is this gorgeous Macbook becoming my best friend, this wonderful "iMovie 09" book has transported our dance classes into magical musical productions.

I am so grateful to David Pogue that it brings tears to my eyes. I've spent the last 4 months studying this book. That may sound like an extremely long time to many of you but I'd challenge you to learn dancing in 4 months. :) I started without a clue of how to make a movie, let alone even run a digital camera. My first DVD was absolutely terrific. We started with our Rumba class and then went on to Colombianas. My students are so thrilled, we have started our own little fun video production company.

I'm not Pollyanna saying everything always went "zippity do dah" well. When I made boo boo's it was not the book's fault. Not at all. It was always my lack of basic knowledge. I would like to interject here, that I began my computer knowledge (I use that word lightly) with Pogue's Mac OS X Leopard. But that would be another review.

So all you people who are able to buzz through this book because you already have a background of basic computer and digital, I applaud you and want to remind you how lucky you are to have found this path so much earlier than I have. But Whoopee, I did find it and I found this book as my daily guide. My next challenge is learning to send to YouTube and and Mobileme. Thank you David Pogue. Manzanita
on December 24, 2009
This is an excellent readable book. Pogue does his usual great job of combining the necessary everyday material and the offbeat with clarity and humor. Since the chapters are pretty much independent it allowed me to check out the chapters on subjects like Safari and Mail that had many changes and that I use a lot. He almost always comes up with some neat trick I'm not aware of that saves time or allows operations I was not aware of.
on June 9, 2013
This was a clear, understandable book. I am not very literate on this type of technology and it made editing understandable and easy to follow. I actually enjoyed being able to make a clear and to the point presentation, thanks to "The Missing Manual".
on January 24, 2016
Not sure this helped much. I think the whole imac system is better now as far as intuitive goes......i hope so.
on January 16, 2017
Very good customer satisfaction.
on May 8, 2015
This is a great book. It helped me get through the questions I had on how to do this and what to do here. With my equipment this '09 book did the job.
on October 21, 2009
Great job on this new Missing Manual. It's a huge help for anyone moving from iMovie 6 to iMovie 9 with it's very new, much more mainstream approach to video editing. As usual with the Missing Manual series, this book saved me hours of trial and error learning and let me start editing footage right away.
on December 20, 2015
Mainly because I ended up with a non-Mac PC.
Having no experience with iMovie, iDVD or GarageBand, I was eager to get my hands on a book that would make these otherwise daunting applications more palatable and easier to use. I found this book to be not only EASY to understand, which is a massive understatement, but really affordable and unbelievably comprehensive. It instilled the confidence I needed in order to create the videos I wanted. I had a good friend who was working abroad and I wanted to send them dvds with video updates on friends and family and with this book I was able to create, edit and produce dvds that were uniquely stylish and full of the features that I wanted to include to make the dvds look better and convey the feelings I wanted.

I highly recommend this to anyone out there that wants to be able to use iMovie and iDVD - for those who have experience with the applications and for those who don't - this book is wildly useful.
on January 4, 2016