Truck Reviews HPC Best Books of the Month Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc CMA Fest Electronics Gift Guide Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Kids Edition Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

on December 29, 2014
I bought this with the expectation that it wasn't going to be top of the line. And i was right. It is cheaply made and the construction is poor. The eye piece wobbles so it is difficult to focus on the specimen slide. Once you do get focused the eye piece shifts and you lose sight of the specimen. The exposed wire leading to the light source is also a concern. All that being said my daughters love it. They haven't stopped using it since Christmas morning. For my girls, these issues are minimal, they love the exploration of their world around them.
10 people found this helpful
on August 31, 2015
I bought this to check out chicken poop. When it got here I couldn't wait!. Opened it up. Nice package and lots of stuff came with it....all plastic. Now, I understood this was more a kids discovery deal but I guess I have high expectations. Put the batteries in, flipped the light over, flash of light and burned out right away. Thank goodness they included a new one. Replacing a bulb should be easy, right? Wrong...opening the thing up was like opening a joke can of peanuts. Little metal doohickys come flying out. So I put the bulb in, tinkered for well over an hr trying to put this thing back together, cussed a lot and finally got it together. Doesn't work. It's okay..it has a handy mirror that you can use if you get at the exact right angle. I make my sugar float solution, grab the handy little spatula and dish and set out to watch for fresh poop. Got it! Now to mix it all up. Slides are plastic, some are scratched. I have my sample ready to check for worms. Looking, looking, wiggle the mirror, adjust, switch strengths, twist, turn...nothing. I check out the slides included. Same song and dance. I got a glimpse of the tint a couple times. Saw my eyelashes most of the time.
Long story short...it sucks. I'm sending it back. I was hoping for a low cost, functioning poop peeper. I think Fischer Price might have a better one. Either way, lesson learned, I got what I paid for and even that may be high priced for it.
One person found this helpful
on April 30, 2013
I bought this for my 8 year old daughter's birthday. She loves it! She's spent countless hours observing specimens and taking notes. Sometimes she even lets her 6 year old brother look, and he's absolutely fascinated with the thing. We've had it since the end of March and it seems very durable. All the extras it comes with are nice, and my daughter really gets a lot of use out of it. I had to show her the first time how to use it, but she does it on her own. She's a total nature girl and loves creating new slides. I know I've seen some mixed reviews on this, but I have to say I'd absolutely recommend it to any kid with an interest in science/ nature.
21 people found this helpful
on June 7, 2014
The last time I was shopping on Amazon, I needed one more item to get free shipping. I spotted this item, and it seemed to be built like the one I had as a child-- battery powered light, with a mirror option. I bought it. For months after receiving it, I was too busy to check it out. Recently, I finally got the batteries for it, and tried it out. First I discovered it came with a pair of batteries, as well as a spare bulb. How nice--my old one didn't have that option. But when I installed the batteries--my old one didn't require the use of a Phillips screwdriver to open the battery cover, like this one does--the light wouldn't come on. As I examined the light, I saw wires running from the battery compartment to the light, but then I remembered a detail from my old one--the wires were hidden, and there was a small metal contact on both the lamp/mirror holder and in the microscope base as well; when they touched the light would go on. I tried batteries I had bought; same result. Worse, when I tried to look at a couple of slides, the focusing was lousy, and I couldn't clearly see what I was looking at--plant roots. I've seen slides of similar specimens, and these were not done right. The specimen had been mounted on the slide to give a view of the side of the root. The more professional ones I've seen were cross-sections, showing the cell structure. The only reason I'm keeping this is the other parts of the kit could be used in other applications, such as the magnifying glass. The one I had as a kid was a cheapie, but it was metal and made far better than this. Maybe because it was made in America.
on October 12, 2016
Bought this for my grand kids as they keep an eye on me twice a week. I must say as children go they ( ages 8 and 10 ) are the best anyway I bought this so we could look at the world around us but me being 71 my eyes are not what they use to be buit they seem to enjpy it very much
on April 30, 2014
Absolutely unusable junk. It may as well be an inflatable toy in the shape of a microscope.

I cannot stress enough how worthless this is. You will return this item if you purchase it wanting to actually *look* at anything with it.

The only usable piece in this entire kit was the little 3x magnifying glass.
on January 8, 2014
Our little scientist loves her new microscope! She immediately sought out things to look at under the scope. Worth the money!
7 people found this helpful
on December 31, 2015
This microscope is so poorly built it says metal parts but from the lens to the adjustable sight its all plastic. The unit cannot be adjusted and the entire piece cannot be free of dirt. Now i'm trying to figure out what I can do to appease my grandchildren. I can assure you this time I'll buy something that I've been able to adjust the depth and see through the Eyepiece.
on March 17, 2014
We bought this for our daughter for a science project on plant life after an oil spill it did what she needed it to do but if your looking for something complex you need to spend a little more money but all in all nice product
on August 3, 2016
Great little microscope kit!
|0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.