Shop Auto Winter Products Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video Early Black Friday deals: save 40% or more on Amazon Video  Three new members of the Echo family Save $50 on All-New Fire HD 10. Limited-time offer. $30 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 22, 2012
I am a big fan of Nancy Muir, after buying her Kindle Fire For Dummies, which was very helpful. My Father-in-Law bought an iPad and had it for three days before finally giving up on it and asking me to return it, as it was too difficult to learn. Why Apple has decided to never include an instruction book with their devices is beyond me, but I'm sure it has hurt their sales among the older market.

I assured my FIL that it was really very simple to use, but after struggling for an hour or two myself, I understood. In order to read the instruction book included ON the iPad, you must know how to USE the iPad, which is not as intuitive as one might think. You must keep the book "open" (on the iPad) while you try to adjust settings, etc. on your iPad. For me, this meant actually writing down various steps on a piece of paper, and then trying to follow the instructions while not "losing" the book on he iPad. I found this tough myself, and I have been a PC user for years. Finally, I understood that while Apple products interface and OS are simple if you are an Apple cellphone user and a Mac enthusiast, they are not so intuitive if you have not used their other products. This book allows you to go to the index and find the task that you want to accomplish, and go to the page for clear instructions and pictures of the screens that you will be using. A related book by the same author that you may find helpful is iPhone 5 For Seniors For Dummies.

For those of you who have purchased an iPad2, this author has revised this book and published it as iPad 2 For Seniors For Dummies, and my comments here pertain to that volume as well.

Senior or not, if you haven't used an Apple product before, you will need some kind of instruction, and this book is an excellent reference...and you are going to need one, believe me!
167 helpful votes
168 helpful votes
33 comments|Report abuse
on December 27, 2010
I bought this book for my mother who is 76 and had just gotten an ipad. It's written in easy to understand verbiage for someone who isn't as up-to-date on all the new electronic "toys" out there. I liked that it had pictures of the buttons it references which made it much easier to follow than the iPad user's manual (no surprise there!). Also, the book itself isn't a huge tome which makes it easier to pick up and read - a good thing for someone with limited body strength. All in all, I am extremely happy with this purchase.......more important my mother said it was great and she'll definitely use it!
55 helpful votes
56 helpful votes
on September 12, 2010
Going from PC to Mac land is not an easy transition for some of us older folks. I knew my iPad had potential, but it wasn't love at first touch. I do plan to take some of the Apple Store free classes when my schedule calms down a bit, but by then I may not need the classes. This book is easy to follow, well-indexed, and helped me to come to love my iPad. For anyone familiar with the "For Dummies" series, this is a particularly good addition to the series. For anyone having a love-hate relation with your iPad, the book is worth every penny. I highly recommend it!
19 helpful votes
20 helpful votes
on February 23, 2012
I ordered this initially for my sister-in-law who got an iPad for Christmas, and she raved about it because she is technology-challenged. Once I decided to get an iPad2 for myself, I ordered the book for me and it took about 2 weeks to arrive. This book takes you from the minute you turn on the iPad and then gives some pretty good info on the inner workings and answers many of the "how do I..."questions. I had already set up the iPad by the time the book arrived, but I have found myself refering to the book when I can't remember how I did something ;) Overall it is not a bad find.
13 helpful votes
14 helpful votes
on June 4, 2013
The baby boomers didn't have computers when they were children. But their children had the beginning of the computer craze, and their grandchildren now have iPads. In order to be able to use iPads with grandchildren, the grandparents need a guide to interpret this what to them is like a foreign language. iPad for Seniors is just the right book for us older folk, me included. It is in large print for easier reading. It starts off with introducing you to iPad features, especially using the Home screen. Then it shows you how to connect to the Internet, email your Grandkids, shop for media and apps. It shows you how to make video calls and instant message. Soon what seems impossible is now fun: the Newsstand app has your favorite magazines, and you can hear music (the sound can be turned higher for the hearing impaired), see videos, get apps you like. And the iPad will help you stay organized with its reminders & notifications. There are maps, iBooks, how to use iCloud help, even troubleshooting tips. I think the best is the "let your iPad find itself" for people, like me, who misplace items. Grandmas & grandpas, this is the iPad "life alert" book.
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on April 29, 2012
I guess for those who don't have much in the way of computer skills, this book might be useful, but for me, it didn't contain anything I didn't already know.

But I didn't buy it for me. After upgrading myself to the Ipad 2, I gave my first generation Ipad to my mom, along with downloading the kindle app. and electronic version of this book for her, hoping she would find it useful.

For her, the Ipad is wonderful. She's retired, and none of the jobs she held ever required her to learn the computer. Trying to get her to use a regular computer was like pulling teeth, but she uses the Ipad now every day: Using the free "dragon" program to dictate her emails, watching Lol cats on youtube, contentedly doing crossword puzzles, along with playing solitaire and other games. She can not follow this book though, and gets so frustrated trying, that she calls me on the phone, and starts threatening to throw her ipad out the window.

I think this book would have frustrated her less if I had purchased a hard (paper) copy for her instead. With the kindle version, after reading, she has to exit the program to practice, and then she can't remember all the steps! Why didn't I realize that would happen? It is my fault, I should have known better.

So my recommendation? If you are going to buy this book for a senior citizen, I strongly recommend buying it in hard copy--printed out on paper, so they can follow along, and practice on their ipad, WHILE they are still reading the instructions!

I would buy this book for her in hard copy, but at this point, she's so upset, that she says she's deleted the kindle app completely, and has thrown out every single yellow item in her house. I've also had to warn my siblings not to take her in any bookstores, because I'm afraid of what she might do if she sees any of the "for dummies" series of books. If they choose to ignore my warning, what happens will be on their heads.

Please don't make my mistake :(
2 helpful votes
3 helpful votes
on May 19, 2012
I absolutely love this book. I have started reading it from the beginning but I also have gone through the index at the back of the book to find information when I didnt understand or know how to do something. Big print is nice and so is the quality of the paper used. I am 71 and this is the first time i have purchased an electronic device like this ipad. No iphone or ipod, just my computer which I am pretty knowledgeable about. Dont hesitate to buy this item, it is wonderful. Thank you so much Nancy Muir!!
8 helpful votes
9 helpful votes
on July 22, 2010
"iPad for Dummies" was the only book I could find on the subject of learning about the iPad, probably because the iPad is such a new item. The book is great. It's a wonderful learning source and is very easy to understand. I am still referring to it as I continue to learn new tips from it. I would definitely recommend this book for new iPad users. I have found all "Dummies" books to do the job of teaching a subject well; this one is no exception. This is the only book I really need regarding how to use my iPad.
64 helpful votes
65 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on July 2, 2011
I found IPad for Seniors not ideal as far as help understanding the IPad.
The wordage relating to illustrations was far from simple. If the book
was published with tech-type seniors in mind, it could be a great help.
I, on the other hand, found it extremely confusing and frustrating.
15 helpful votes
16 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on January 19, 2012
I love this book, because whenever something isn't easy to figure out "intuitively" on iPad, this book comes to the rescue over and over again.
15 helpful votes