About the Book
With the right application, the iPad and iPad 2 can become more than just devices for watching videos, listening to music, and reading electronic books. Your iPad can be a device that's used for teaching and imparting knowledge to children in nearly any environment. This ability to teach anywhere opens up a wide range of knowledge for children. The iPad has apps that are specifically designed to build skills in reading, math, and writing. How many apps? Thousands. Some are good, some are not so good; this book sorts through the clutter and tells you about the best educational apps that are available. Many of the apps featured in this book are free, some cost no more than $10, and many are somewhere in between.
iPad for Kids is for all of you who want to get started using the iPad as a teaching tool for your kids. Think of this book as a personal tutorial, a one-on-one class with an expert user of the iPad. You get to stay in the comfort of your own home or school and learn how to do these following things:
- Familiarize yourself with the iPad controls and interfaces
- Connect to the Internet with the iPad using WiFi or a cellular connection
- Learn how to add apps and multimedia content to your iPad
- Print documents from the iPad
- Communicate with others via email
- Teach kids from toddler-age to fourth grade how to read--and then read better
- Explore and practice mathematics concepts
- Discover the world of art and music
- Have your kids see the world around them in new ways
- Create documents, spreadsheets, and presentations for advanced school work
Technology expert, educator, and parent Brian Proffitt offers a clear and jargon-free guide to using the iPad and iPad 2 as a learning tool for preschool- and elementary-aged children. His step-by-step approach aids parents in finding and choosing the best, age-appropriate educational and "edutainment" apps for their children, regardless of their familiarity with the device. From setting up parental controls to protecting your email security, iPad for Kids helps you create a safe and fun learning environment for your child. The text coaches educators on the appropriate classroom use of iPads in group learning environment. "Tip," "Caution," and "Note" boxes throughout the text provide the reader with additional cues from the author.