Truck Reviews HPC Warlight Men's slip on sneakers nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Stick Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Dot Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Find a new favorite show Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on August 29, 2016
Unreadable, as far as I am concerned. Page after page of overwritten mush that never relies on only10 words to make a clear point when hundreds can be deployed ineffectively. There may be useful information in here, but I am unlikely ever to find it because I just want to hurl the Kindle across the room after forcing myself through another page or two. The author's self-aggrandizing rhetoric gets in the way of whatever real value he might be capable of serving up. I am not interested in your life, sir. I am interested in the distilled wisdom you accumulated in the process of living it.

I am not angry with the author, who presumably wrote the book he wanted to. It's on me that I made a poor choice to get a book that with a little research I could have realized was not for me. The catchpenny title is a pretty good tip-off that this book will never be required reading in a production course at a reputable school.I see a couple of dozen people gave this book high marks. I'm glad you all got something out of it. I wish I had.
4 people found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on September 7, 2012
One of the greatest comments I've received came from Michael Rosenblum, the author of "iPhone Millionaire". He and his wife Lisa (featured in the book) taught at the Travel Channel Academy (the precursor to New York Video School) in 2009, and we had to make two short films as part of the class. When asked what I did, I responded to Mr. Rosenblum with "Computer Forensics", to which he responded, "You should give that up - you're wasting your time when you should be doing this." For someone with an interest in film and travel, that I had even the potential to make a passing go at the combination was exciting!

At the start of the class, I had considered using my LiveScribe pen to record all the lectures, but we were asked to not record the class. I considered still doing it anyway - not to broadcast or anything, but for my own reference later. However, I chose not to, and took copious notes, along with giving it my all in terms of doing as instructed and participating. (The gentleman next to me did pretty much the opposite, and to this day I wonder why he bothered going if he was just going to do his own thing and cause trouble.) This book contains a significant amount of the wisdom that I learned from the class, and which served as the basis for everything I learned which isn't included in the book. Without going into the specifics (and therefore giving spoilers) it gives you the basics of how to shoot using a camera such as the one in your iPhone or small camcorder (I use a Vixia HF S 11 personally) (and avoid all your natural, yet completely wrong, instincts about how to shoot), how to tell a compelling story, and importantly, how to then turn around and start selling your film to make money from it. Complete with real-world examples of people who already have done this, it's a compelling manual on how to start a career in the film business. Additionally, it tells you WHY you might want to start a career in the film business. The insatiable demand for video that exists now (demonstrated amply) is only going to increase, and you can be a part of it.

If there is only one negative to the book, it's that the mechanics of actually cutting together film is left out. However, this is not as glaring a problem as it might seem at first, for two reasons. The first is that plenty of resources are available on the web that can teach you lessons on how to do this. Secondly, the actual classes and resources associated with the New York Video school are an additional resource. To his credit, Mr. Rosenblum does not use the book as one big marketing platform for NYVS - it is only mentioned (from a sales perspective) once toward the end of the book, and comes with a code for a free trial.

Would I recommend this book? Absolutely. I'd recommend the class I took, too, and the NYVS. I consider it one of the best things I've done in recent years to have taken the class at the Travel Channel Academy - I am now versed in the "lingua franca" of the web - video - an indispensable skill for the future.
on August 27, 2012
This is simply the most important book about video production to come along in a generation. Rosenblum is a visionary who looks forward to the day when multitudes of journalists armed with simple digital cameras and editing software take the place of television networks with their overpaid anchors, cumbersome studios and overly complex gear. As the author points out, the revolution in digital video technology of the past 10 years is as significant a turning point as Gutenberg's invention of printing with movable type in the 1400s.

As a longtime follower of Rosenblum's website, blog and instructional videos, I felt occasional twinges of deja vu when I read his war stories of life in journalism school, broadcast journalism and cable TV production. But, coming from a background in traditional media, I completely agree that big media companies are married to outmoded "big, complicated and expensive" production models. And as a longtime film-school teacher, I applaud his enthusiasm for knocking down barriers and putting the means of production into more people's hands.

The core of the book is a simple and straightforward five-step approach to visual storytelling that works at any level from home video to feature-length film. The method is easy to learn and remember, and the best part is that it's so effective. Rosenblum follows up with a simple storytelling approach to editing that is equally memorable, although somewhat less specific -- I would like to see more specific guidance for novice editors in getting started with simple editing applications like iMovie. The chapter about pitching ideas to networks appears to have been thrown together in a hurry; it understates the difficulty of getting in the door for unknown producers.

But overall, this is a book that anyone with an iPhone and a story to tell should read and digest. Visual communication is too important to be left to the professionals, who are married to outmoded production styles and business models. In the 21st century, everyone needs to learn how to "read and write" with video. Rosenblum's book is the beginner's manual for the technological future.
One person found this helpful
on August 22, 2012
I learned about Michael Rosenblum just over a year ago. I have been training with his videos and have even had the chance to talk with him. When I learned that iPhone Millionaire was announced I preordered immediately. A few days ago I received the book and devoured it is one reading. The book has not only changed the way I approach video on the iPhone, it has changed my whole mindset.

My name is Len Clark and I represent a mobile journalism company. Today, I not only know more about mobile journalism but I have more credibility based on my Mojo examples. I am ordering the book for every client and prospective client.

I hope there is a graduate level program and book in the future!

Len Clark
on January 2, 2013
I didn't know anything about how to shoot videos or about the video business before I read this book. This book really opened up my eyes to the way cable TV, the internet, digital cameras, and smart phones have made getting into the media business so much easier than it was just a few short years ago. Even if you have no intention of getting into the video production business, the book is still worth reading because it's highly entertaining and offers brilliant insights into the way the internet is changing every facet of our lives; you will look at the world around you differently and you'll see business opportunities that have probably been right in front of you all along. A GREAT book.
4 people found this helpful
on August 20, 2012
I read this in two sittings. I would have read it in one but I really needed to get to bed given that it was 4:00 in the morning.

Though the main title is ridiculous (blame the publisher not the author) I have to say this is one of the most encouraging and inspiring books on the topic I have read in a long while. Mr. Rosenblum obviously has the credentials to backup what he writes. And instead of holding on to the old world ways of doing things he opens his arms wide to the Web 2.0 generation and says "Come on in. There is enough to go around" AND explains how to do it.

At first I was annoyed by the biographical paragraphs. I just wanted to get to the nitty gritty. But as I read on I realized the backstories were there to continually remind the reader that anyone can make a career in video, TV or film because Micahel Rosenblum was that "anyone".

Readers with previous experience in film and video will want to argue with several things he advises. You may want to fling your book or kindle across the room when you read some of what he writes about lighting or camera work. But if the biographical info he provides in the book is to be believed (which can be confirmed on IMDB) he has been in the trenches and knows what will work and more importantly what can sell. Isn't making a living in this industry what we are all looking to do?

For the novice this book will help you create a body of work (sometimes paid) that can get you future paid gigs.
For the experienced this can be the information that may help a stalled career.
9 people found this helpful
on December 1, 2012
I enjoyed reading this fun, down-to-earth and extremely practical book about making videos. As a complete video illiterate (though Michael convincingly says in the book that everyone who has watched TV and movies has some video literacy), this book offered me some basic tools to work with, plus a healthy dose of coaching and cheerleading. As a J-school classmate of Michael's many MANY years ago, I know that bringing video-making capabilities to average people has been a lifelong goal of his, and this book is a pitch-perfect step toward that goal. I plan on reading it again to improve my amateur skills as a I learn to use my Mac's video-editing software.
One person found this helpful
on August 29, 2012
I love to travel! On my trips I take tons of pictures and show them to anyone who will look at them. I talk to anyone who will listen about travel. I'm even a travel agent so I can work in the travel industry. I travel a lot but I don't get to travel as much as I would like. I watch the Travel Channel and a secret part of me wants that job - a job that will pay me to travel. When friends and family say, "Oh! You're going on another trip?" I can say, "Yes! It's my job!" I've been mulling over how to break into the travel video industry for a while now but it just seemed impossible. Recently, I found this book the iPhone Millionaire How To Create And Sell Cutting-Edge Video. Anytime millionaire is mentioned in the title of anything I immediately assume it's a get rich quick scheme and I don't bother, but it was the second half of the title that got my attention so I bought it. I'm very glad I did! This book does three things - and it does them well. First, it really breaks down the television/video industry into manageable bites so it doesn't feel so large and impenetrable. Second, it breaks down making a video into easy, simple terms so it really feels doable. Third, this book is your personal cheerleader. The author does a fantastic job of making you feel like you can do this and you can be successful!

Right from the beginning of the book on page 3 the author talks about all of the millions and millions of hours of video that is needed to "feed" television, phones, computers etc. He asks, "Who is going to make all that video?" Then he answers his question with, "It could be you. It should be you." The book is written with such enthusiasm and encouragement - I believe him. The author doesn't build you up and then let you figure out how to make videos on your own, he gives you step by step easy instructions. He doesn't tell you to invest in expensive equipment, he tells you to use what you probably already have in your closet, your purse or your pocket. Then when you are ready, he gives you the tools you need to sell your videos and make money. I'm telling you, buy this book. If you have a secret dream like I do to make money creating any kind of video - this book is going to be your best tool to achieving that dream!
8 people found this helpful
on February 23, 2013
Written by an experienced person, who shares the steps to creative video, that can be applied to any subject.
A quick read with quality information, right to the point, with an inspirational style!
Get it, learn, use the knowledge and get on with recording!
on February 2, 2013
iPhone Millionaire: How to Create and Sell Cutting-Edge VideoGreat tips Michael, for anyone who wants to make snappy videos. I already have some experience, but I learned a lot from your book. And I very much appreciate your entrepreneurial spirit that's sprinkled throughout the book. A good and easy read, conversational style, lots of tips and personal sharing.