Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here Fall TV Binge-worthy season premieres are here  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 437 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 481 reviews
on September 4, 2013
After reading some of the reviews for 400W HPS lights out there, I wasn't sure about the quality of the product I purchased. Particularly because of some of the reviews that said "iPower sucks, buy Apollo". As of this moment I am very satisfied with the quality of this 400W HPS light.

The hood itself is well constructed. It feels very solid and reflects quality craftsmanship. The reflector are built into the hood, and all the necessary hardware to install this product into your growing space is included. There is about a 3" lip on the 6" vent ports so there is plenty of room to attach your ducting. When I purchased this I did not realize that it came with a glass plate on the bottom which is secured in place with thumb screws. The glass plate has rubber insulation around it so it can be a bit tricky to remove, but not too difficult. The hood itself is compatible with 400W, 600W or 1000W light bulbs, making upgrading easier, but you will need a different ballast for each.

The 400W ballast itself is quite small and the power cords are long enough to place the ballast well out of the way. There is a selector lever on the ballast to change between 50%, 75% and 100%. I have run it on 75% for over a week with no problems and recently changed it to 100%. On 75% the ballast feels slightly warm, and on 100% it is warm to the touch but not too hot to put your hand on it.

The grow light came well packaged and nothing arrived broken (some have complained about broken glass or bulbs - I did not have that problem). The hood with bulb and glass plate installed is on the heavier side so it will be easier to have another person help, but still very doable by yourself. Overall the installation was very straight forward and simple. I have only had this 400W light for a few weeks so I can't speak for it's long-term reliability, however if I were going to have a problem with it I expect it would have already surfaced by now. For me personally I would probably buy another iPower product.
on February 9, 2016
System works good...I upgraded to a dimmable 1000watt ballast and also bought better brand bulbs. If you buy this system and stick w 400watts just snag better bulbs, use these as a backup, always good to have a spare to help you limp along anyway. You can deff grow with these but for a few more bucks you can find a ton other bulbs. One big problem is the hood leaks like a sieve, I have it setup as 6x24 carbon>hood>440cfm fan>outside vent. Still reeks at vent, I put a piece of paper near glass and side panel and she sucks it right in, so it's pulling in air past the filter that isn't scrubbed. So I had to use some weather stripping and aluminum tape to remedy that.
on December 9, 2012
I'm taking the time to repost this just to warn the people thinking about buying this. I've had mine for about a month mind you. 1st off they didn't have it in stock they sent me a thunder brand. I paid for faster shipping. Not only did I get my parts late they sent my parts in two packages and they where 3 days part. Also I was shipped broken bulbs. They where called hydroponics pros when I wrote this review they changed their name but still have post from a few years ago...? Yet my post for my review was missing weird. Anyway when I posted this the first time they called and said they where going to send me new bulbs and something for trouble. You guessed it. I haven't had anything sent to me. What a waste save you'reself time and go to a hydro store and pick something up the you and see for you'reself and don't have to deal with these kind of people. Cheers
on September 10, 2015
Piece of junk! Only 1 day and the ballast blew and before that the fan barely moved. Definitely switching to a better brand even tho it'll cost more
on October 2, 2015
So far working great a few weeks outta the box. The packaging was superb, I don't know what people were complaining about. I live in Hawaii and it travels alot further to get to me. I like the small axial fan on the ballast, big improvement from just heat sinks. Bulbs work great, no hortilux but for the price, you can't complain. I also have high end american made HID systems and for the price this is a great bargain system. Great for beginner growers who don't want to break the bank.
on February 18, 2017
Very satisfied
on January 17, 2016
Perfect lighting kit for setting up a new garden. I don't have others for comparison, but it is great light for my tent and the air cooled hood makes it easy to control the temperature. I'm already thinking of buying another to add to my grow tent.
on December 18, 2013
I purchased this 10 days ago,came in a brown box which has great ,neighbors could not tell what arrived.I have looked at these in hydro stores to the tune of 400-500 dollars for the kit.Decided to purchase this and save some money.Very surprised the quality is very good ,every thing worked great,love the dimmer.The only issue was the reflector hood had a ding in it, I believe it was a shipping issue.Contacted i-power because the literature in the box said if their was any thing not correct to do so.Got a quick response back via e-mail,i sent them pictures, with in 2 hours got a response back we are shipping you a replacement hood,great customer service.I would recommend this product to my friends.It has been running for days now no problems.
on June 7, 2013
Ordered the 600 Watt HPS/MH grow lights and the order was delivered promptly within the week. The reflector was a perfect size for my needs, and was soon able to fit about 10 mature plants underneath the range. Easy setup, and the digital ballast runs extremely quiet. The only hiccup I had was after about a month and a half the ballast stopped working and I had to get a replacement fast. I panicked as it was the weekend and could not reach customer service, but Monday morning they responded to my email and offered to fedex a replacement asap. Since I live in Los Angeles and only 30 min away, I asked if I could just drive and get a replacement so I didn't waste another day, and they readily agreed. When I got there, they were very apologetic and took the old ballast and ran a test in the back. They verified it was a faulty ballast and gave me a brand new one which I've had no problems with after 7 months. I appreciated there help and understand these things happen; fortunately it didn't seem to hurt my indoor plants any (I had other lights available but there was a dark area over the HPS light). Would definitely recommend.
on March 5, 2012
This is a very nice unit. Being able to dim the lights make it very versatile. And HPS+MH makes it even more so... The ballast is a nice size and runs reasonably quiet. Much more so than the older units.

Except for two issues, this is a good item/deal.

Issue one...arrived with a broken, MH buld. Amazon replaced it since there was no way to contact the seller.

Issue two... the blue plastic covering on the "shield" might require a hair dryer to heat it. It had almost become "one" with the shield and was very difficult to remove.

The bulbs are of the cheapest variety. I wouldn't expect too much from them and would have spares on hand. But, with the price of the unit, and what you're getting, it's a good deal that will more than fit any gardening need you may have.

I use it without the glass cover and just aim a high power fan at the bulb since I don't have an inline fan and don't want to spend the money on one when the fan works fine. The heated air hits the shield and is deflected nicely around the room. And, it cools the bulb for extended life.

I plan to order another one. Along with two spare bulbs. Probably not from this seller since neither Amazon nor I could find a way to contact them.

I would recommend this item.