Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > As A Man Thinketh forum

james allen

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-3 of 3 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 12, 2008, 10:28:32 AM PDT
Leapinglanny says:
was james allen a christian?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 17, 2010, 10:28:53 PM PST
Sprada says:
I am very interested in that myself. I'm going to spend the next week deciphering through his works and the Bible to arrive at my own conclusion. What do you think about him?

Posted on Feb 2, 2011, 4:29:30 PM PST
A friend described Allen as a frail-looking little man, Christ-like, with a mass of flowing black hair...... I think of him especially in the black velvet suit he always wore in the evenings, the friend wrote. He would talk quietly to a small group of us then - English, French, Austrian and Indian - of meditation, of philosophy, of Tolstoy or Buddha, and of killing nothing, not even a mouse in the garden.

He overawed us all a little because of his appearance, his gentle conversation, and especially because he went out to commune with God on the hills before dawn.

James Allen's philosophy became possible when liberal Protestantism discarded the stern dogma that man is sinful by nature. It substituted for that dogma an optimistic belief in man's innate goodness and divine rationality.

This reversal of doctrine was, as William James said, the greatest revolution of the 19th Century. It was part of a move toward a reconciliation of science and religion following Darwin's publication The Origin of Species.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  As A Man Thinketh forum
Participants:  3
Total posts:  3
Initial post:  Aug 12, 2008
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
As a Man Thinketh
As a Man Thinketh by James Allen (Hardcover - January 1, 1977)
4.6 out of 5 stars (1,607)