Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 15,857 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 18,310 reviews
on October 4, 2013
First off, I would like to say this tablet is a great deal for just $139.99. I tried finding a tablet for under $100 that would just work properly, and to let you know, it's impossible. Secondly, I want to tell you how I decided to buy this tablet.

I first bought the 9 inch Dragon touch tablet for 78$ but to be blunt it sucked. It was so slow that the web browser would always freeze, even if I did a simple Google search. I did not want to take a chance with it anymore and returned it after 2 days of using it; then I decided to give the kindle fire HD a chance.

Exterior: The exterior is well built. No loose pieces, and the plastic is very firm. My previous cheap tablet had plastic that felt it was going to snap if you held it too hard. Of course the iPad mini has a glass screen and aluminum body, but it also starts at $329. There are 2 ports: a micro usb and a headphone jack to plug in your headphones. The nice thing is that the micro usb is universal and finding a plug is cheap and easy to find. Although, amazon does include a very nice and not cheaply made cable/ wall charger along with your kindle. The previous kindle did not include them and they are worth $20. The buttons for the volume and power are a nice touch. I would not be surprised if new generation tablets will include these style buttons.
Only down side is there is no port for an SD card so you can store more memory. It would be a nice feature but if you really need all that storage, go buy a computer.

Display: One word, amazing. Maybe I am pushing it, but the screen is so clear. I own an iPhone 5 and my eyes prefer my kindle. I love reading on this machine and for the price, amazon did a good job with this one.

Internal/processor: I never owned the older versions of the kindle, so I won't be able to compare to them. I can say that this kindle is not slow. My previous tablet took a couple of seconds to respond to my touch but there is no delay on this kindle. As far as apps go, I downloaded that deer hunting game to test out if the kindle can handle it. The answer is yes, and didn't even struggle :).

WiFi: Surfing the web is awesome on this device. I watched a tv series(arrested development, which I do recommend) and the video playback was great. It was very smooth and even when I went outside the video was fine. I added the outside part because my 2010 MacBook pro starts to get a jittery WiFi connection when I bring it outside my house. But the overall speed is in between my iPhone 5 and MacBook pro, where it should be.

Battery: Yeah... I noticed the older version of the kindle was 11 hours and this one is 10 hours. But if you're on the kindle for 10 hours straight, time to GET A JOB! (Read update 10/23/13 lower in the review for true battery life)

Camera: I wish there was a camera and Mic in this kindle so I could Skype with my family. Keeping the price and size in mind you can't really blame amazon. Well, at least the NSA can't see me or hear what I'm doing. If you want those features then you can always buy the better version of the kindle. (Kindle HDX)

Sound: I don't know what the previous kindle sounded like, but this kindle has great speakers. I was in my room watching my show and my roommates(my parents..) told me to turn it down. I could understand everything that was said in the show and that's all that matters. If you bought this tablet to listen to quality music, I don't know what to tell you.

Setup: I've seen lots of people saying that the setup is a pain in the you know what. I was waiting to see what they were talking about but I had no issue. When I received my tablet, I turned on the screen and connected to my WiFi. I had no problems and then an amazon load screen came up and I said, here we goooo... The load screen only lasted 2 minutes and it was completed. I didn't have another one, nor did I have an issue setting up my kindle. My email, WiFi, amazon account, and other set ups went very smoothly without any issues.
I am not doubting that other people had problems with their tablets, no electronic device is perfect. Either amazon saw that there was a problem and fixed it, I got lucky with my tablet, or maybe so many people were trying to register their new kindle and amazon servers could not handle it. Wouldn't have been the first time a new product had its servers go down(obamacare, ios 7, COD servers, etc.)

Bluetooth: Haven't tried it yet, sorry! But apparently no one has any issues with it. 10/21/13 I have tested it out by hooking it up to my car and it works. I don't own a Bluetooth mouse or keyboard but you should not have a problem pairing them with the kindle.

SO, if you want a general summary, this is a fantastic tablet for the price. This tablet is probably the cheapest tablet that you can buy with it being dependable. There are a lot of cheaper tablets out there, but are only good if you want bald spots. Keep the price in mind when buying this tablet, this is why amazon offers a lot better kindles that cost more. This kindle is for someone that is on a budget, wants a device to surf the web,reading books, looking at photos, watching movies, playing games, and obviously "facebooking." If you want something more "show off-ie" then this isn't the kindle tablet for you.
Also, keep in mind Amazon is an extraordinary company. They are fair priced for almost everything they sell on their website, especially their books. I cannot thank them enough for saving me hundreds of dollars on books I need for college. For not being an electronics company like Apple, Samsung Sony etc, they can definitely give those companies a run for their money with their tablets. So thank you amazon for making a very affordable, dependable tablet!

I will update this if I see something out of the ordinary or if something goes wrong that shouldn't have.

P.S. If there spelling mistakes, sorry. I used my new kindle to type this all out. I figured it would be good practice.

UPDATE 10/21/13

First, I want to mention is that I am having sound glitches. When I'm watching a video the sound just shuts off and I have to press the rewind button 1 to 3 times. In doing so, the video loads itself again and the sound magically comes back on. I know it's a software issue because sometimes when I load my apps there is no sound even when it is turned on. I shut off the app (sometimes a couple of times) and the sound comes back. If anyone knows how to fix the issue or has the same problem, let me know. Thank you.
Another problem I have is trying to connect the micro usb cable in. I think it's a problem because the way the sides of the kindle are angled. Usually I plug in all my electronics at night, with no lights on. But with the kindle, I have to leave the light on so I can find the port to plug in the charger.
There is no flash player in the kindle, but that's no surprise since android and iPads don't either. There might be manual ways on installing it but I wouldn't know.
When you use you're kindle while charging it, it gets pretty warm. Not really a problem just something that was noticeable.

Now, time for some good news! The display is great outside, I can watch all my shows when the sun is out. This is a huge plus for me.
The true battery life. I tested it out by watching 4 episodes of a show that lasted about 22 minutes. Each show drained my battery 5%, keep in mind my display brightness was set around 75%. Doing the math, the battery life will last you roughly 7.5 hours when watching videos. When I web surf, read books, play a game here and there I would have enough battery life to last me a little less than 2 days. I think the battery life would be a lot better if there was a light sensor on the kindle, but there isn't. So if you want to save battery you need to manually change the brightness yourself because the kindle is not able to.

Two suggestions so far.
1. Amazon, I wish your kindle cases were cheaper. Two of your cases cost as much as the kindle itself! They do look nice and pretty cool but not for that price. Sorry, but I went with the 20$ marware case and it does the job.
2. Instead of offering $2 amazon music credit incentives when you buy certain products. A $2 amazon coins incentive would be incredible. Almost everything in the app store costs money and amazon coins would be very useful for a lot of your loyal customers.

11/26/13

My previous issue that I had with my kindle (sound disappearing) has been resolved. I am not sure what it was but I think it had something to do with the recent update.

Some people are angry and giving horrible reviews because this isn't like the previous generation Kindle Fire HD. READ THE PRODUCT DESCRIPTION BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING. This kindle fire HD is marketed as the improved, previous Kindle Fire, while the kindle fire HDX is the new and improved, previous kindle fire HD. I do not want to bash anybody, but I do not think that this Kindle should have such bad reviews because of others' stupid mistakes. So, if you are not on a budget and want an even greater tablet; the Kindle Fire HDX is what you should look into.

The other cool thing about the recent update is, if you bought a kindle with special offers, the lock screen now has a notification bar. Before it just showed the special offers on the screen. Now on the lock screen, at the top of the screen, it shows the time, battery life and other notification like new emails. Before you had to unlock the screen to see any of this. Nice touch Amazon!

Also, HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!
3535 comments| 3,178 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon February 28, 2014
Yes..this is my 6th Kindle Fire HD 7 and I am sharing my story so you are not discouraged! My previous Kindle Fire performed well and I decided to upgrade to the newer model with 16GB. My 2nd Kindle Fire arrived as a Christmas gift and the first week I used it, the unit crashed. Ouch! My previous generation-now referred to as "Old Faithful" -never failed me. I followed the onscreen instructions for Kindle#2 and rebooted my device. After using my device for about 30 minutes, it crashed again and the on-screen instructions said to reboot the reset the entire device. I reset the device and lost all my settings, then again after using the device it crashed. I was not a happy customer so I called Kindle Support.

If you are not bored yet...keep reading....

Kindle support told me NOT to reset the device, because this erases the memory on their support side and they are unable to resolve the issue from their end if I reset the device. They advised me to call them when this happens. After a conversation about my new device not working, they agreed to send me another Kindle.

Kindle #3, #4 and #5 all arrived...and I returned all of them when I discovered they were refurbished units. Since my device was brand new and I had only used it one week, I expected a brand new device as a replacement. On Kindle #6 I ended up placing a new order (rather than an exchange order) and then returned the refurbished units they continued to send me. Problem resolved.

It gets worse...

Kindle #6 crashed too! Within the first week...again!

This time I did not "reset the device" and instead I would reboot the device. I did this each time I turned on the Kindle. 100% of the time, when I turned on the power button, I would get the error message and my device would shut off and require a reboot. It would work after each reboot.

This is fascinating though... on the day when I brought my Kindle #6 outside my home and not longer had wifi, I made a great observation (I hope Kindle support reads this!). When I turned on the power button, the Kindle started automatically loading a software update! Wow... that was interesting and it actually took a few minutes to update. I'm not a genius..however I think the software update was causing the failure each time I powered my device. It was conflicting with the same wifi that would load new books to the device....and this caused it to crash. It's just a theory...however when you're on Kindle #6 then you seek any possibility for your frustration.

Summary...I love my Kindle and would never want to be without one, I only hate it when it does not work right out of the box. I had to walk through some challenges to get the device working and it was worth the frustration. Now, if someone could please tell me how to turn off the Wiki notes that keep appearing whenever I highlight...you'll be my very best friend! I did pay the upgrade to remove the ads and I still have those Wiki popups. Ugh!

Please, if you have time .....comment on my review below so I know what information you find useful or what you would like to see added to my review. Or just click the "like" or "dislike" button to save time. Your input is valuable feedback for me!

UPDATE: 23 days after returning my Christmas Kindle gift, I received a refund on my first Kindle and also was charged this: Restocking Fee Refund Deduction: ($25.94) although I was not informed of any restocking fee during my four phone conversations with Amazon. Amazon needs to be more specific on their "one year warranty" and their "restocking fees."

Thumbs down for the SIXTEEN PERCENT RESTOCKING FEE FOR A BRAND NEW KINDLE DEVICE!
1212 comments| 223 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 7, 2015
I'm a huge fan, and customer of Amazon! Everything I buy online is strictly from this site! Kindles are amazing, but I was a little disappointed with my new one! A few years ago as a gift I got one of the first kindles and loved it. I asked for this new one for Christmas, and it's great as well for what I wanted it for (reading) but I HATE all the flipping advertising! My parents bought this product, I buy books to read on this product and you're going to continue to throw apps in my face every time I go to look at my kindle? Sure I can have them removed for an additional cost, but that's ridiculous especially since this was a gift! I get keeping the adds on there for maybe a week after its first start up so people can really realize what all they can do on the kindle, but I've already downloaded apps, and a crap ton of books why must i keep looking at pointless crap that I'll never buy? There isn't another tablet on the market that does this. My next table purchase will not be a kindle-- it will be another tablet, and I'll just download the kindle app!
review image
on December 22, 2013
I purchased this kindle for my husband for Christmas because he enjoys reading books on my Nook tablet. It arrived on Dec. 5th and I kept it hidden and unopened until Dec. 17th. I wanted to have it charged and ready to use for Christmas morning so I took it out and turned it on. Immediately it began to flicker, it worked for about 1 minute then went blank with lines running through it. I turned it off and on a couple of times but the lines remained.

A quick call to Amazon and they transferred me to Kindle. They said they would ship out another one immediately and email a return label. When I checked my credit card they charged me again for the replacement kindle and $13 for shipping! Another call to Kindle and they stated that I may have dropped the 1st unit and damaged it so they may not refund my money.... I informed them that I had not dropped it, I had just taken it out of the box for the 1st time! I am very disappointed in the treatment I have received. After losing control of my temper and my blood pressure flying off the charts I finally got them to remove the fee for the replacement unit. The new one arrived promptly and I tested it for a few minutes before wrapping it. I guess we'll see if it holds up when I give it to him on Christmas day. I will never order from Kindle again. I have never had an issue with my Nook and would totally recommend it over the Kindle fire.
review image
22 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 25, 2014
I don't leave a whole lot of reviews... but after my dad's experiences with the Kindle Fire, I thought this is something that others might want to consider as a family tool. My dad is 74 years old and is not techno savvy. Bless his heart, the dvd player still gives him troubles. He lives on his own which for a while made him somewhat depressed because he felt like his days had passed and no one appreciated his era anymore. I tried to get him to go to music/video stores to get some of his oldies but goodies tunes-- but it was always more depressing for him to have the 19 year old clerk have no idea of who he was talking about. All of his favorite books had been deteriorating. So.... I got him a Kindle Fire. I preloaded it with some really neat country classic music like Anne Murray, C.W. McCall, and the early versions of Chris LeDeux. I also loaded it with some classic movies. I found an app that played serial radio westerns. I also found a ton of books by his favorite authors--audio and regular. He was a little intimidated at first, but this is one of his favorite things now. My teenage daughter gave him several tutorials. What was neat about the exchange was that my daughter was able to share things of "here and now" with him... but he was also able to share things with her "about the good ole days" as they were going through the books and the apps. He loved talking to her and she loved listening to the stories. He is not afraid to call her on the phone to learn new features. He's now a pro at the weather app. He likes reading the customer reviews on the books that he likes because now he sees that his era really isn't gone, it's just in a different format and location-- and people still appreciate the classics. He doesn't have a computer or email-- but each of our kindles do have an email address where you can email documents (including pictures)-- so we can email pictures of the kids events or news articles that might be helpful to what he has going on. He doesn't have to wait for it in the mail...it's instant sharing. It's also very easy for him to access because it pops up immediately when he turns on his Kindle. He doesn't have internet at the house... so he goes to McDonalds to have coffee with his crowd and download his latest books. He is now the envy of his McDonalds crowd. We did put parental controls on his Kindle -- but we explained that we did so that someone else couldn't do things with it should he lose or misplace it-- and we explained that we have the same controls on ours for the same reason.... so he didn't feel like we were treating him like a kid. I know this is a long review, but the bottom like is that it opened up a whole new world for my dad that he thought was gone. It has also had an awesome side effect of really giving our entire family a way to share more ideas and experiences with him. I just thought others might like to know that this more than just a toy for the younger generation, or a tool for the working generation....it's also a wonderful connection for seniors who need to know the are still remembered.
on October 4, 2013
This new KFHD replaces last year's basic Kindle Fire. Although it has some cool new features, it lacks a camera, microphone, and HDMI port. For this reason, I'm glad I kept my 2012 model since it does have these 3 features!

Here are my initial impressions of the 2013 Kindle Fire HD: I like the placement of the on/off & volume buttons. Being on opposite sides makes it unlikely to hit the wrong one. I never cared for the carousel (this is what you see when you turn your Kindle on and it contains all the books & apps you have recently accessed), and now there's an option to have favorites showing on the home screen instead, and the apps/books can be rearranged to your liking. I was very surprised that web pages can no longer be placed in the favorites bar (which is now being called "home"). I don't know why Amazon removed this option, and we also are unable to have the last accessed web page appear in the carousel. But you can still bookmark your favorite web pages & YouTube videos for easy access.

When I play songs purchased from Amazon's MP 3 store the lyrics scroll down karaoke style. Nice feature, but it doesn't work on every song. This device has a cool new feature called "Quick Switch", which allows us, when reading or using an app, to bring up recently accessed items with a swipe instead of having to exit the book or app you were using and go back to the "home" screen to open up another one.

In terms of sound, I find it to be tinny and not as rich as it is on the original KFHD. But you can really improve the sound of music by wearing a good set of ear buds. Ironically, music sounds muffled unless you hold the device in landscape mode with your hands covering the speakers. Holding it this way projects the sound out to you.

In terms of speed, this new model loads web pages and email faster, which isn't surprising considering that it has a 1.5GHz processor compared to 1.2GHz on the older model.
I like the placement of the USB charging port. It's now on the upper left hand side (when in landscape mode). On the older model it's on the bottom, which makes it awkward to stand it up while charging.

**AMAZON PRIME VIDEO DOWNLOADS HAS ARRIVED!! If you have an Amazon Prime subscription, in addition to being able to stream videos on your Kindle you can now download many of them. I love being able to watch shows offline when I'm away from a WiFi connection! It took about 5 minutes for a 45 minute television show to download. We can choose the picture quality we prefer (either "good", "better", or "best"), and the higher the quality, the longer it takes to download & the more storage space it uses. A 45 minute show at the "best" resolution used up a whopping 2GB of storage space! No worries though because it's a cinch to delete the videos after watching them. Most of the Prime tv episodes can be downloaded, such as Chopped, Nova, Twilight Zone, and the The Universe, but only a fraction of the movies have this capability so far.

Amazon promises a software update in mid-November that will allow us to sort our books and apps into "collections"! This will be a wonderful feature to have because now we have to scroll through all of our content to find the book or app we want to access.
***UPDATE***
My device received the software update, and now I can organize all of my books and apps into collections!! And we can put the folders on the home screen, not just in our content libraries!! This is a great new feature that I've wanted for quite a while and it adds to my enjoyment of using the device.

Many people are complaining about the lack of a user guide, so I wanted to mention that it can be accessed from the device itself. (You need an active WIFI connection to complete this task)!! Just swipe down from the top of the screen where the time is displayed & tap on "help".
Here's a link for Amazon.com help:
Then tap on "Get help with your Kindle device or Reading App", and then tap on "Kindle Fire HD 2nd Generation". This should help get everyone started!
3535 comments| 3,058 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 23, 2014
The Kindle Fire HD 7" display, WI-FI, etc lasted around 2 weeks before it stopped opening files I purchased from Amazon and other sites. I tried using Calibre to manage my books as well as Windows and ended up having to back up all my books, reset to factory settings and reload all the books. It lasted another 2 weeks then after purchasing two books from Amazon dot com, not only did the books fail to open, I got the DRM notice and was told to purchase another copy. Not sure about other folks, but I'm not spending $10 for two books only to have them not open and being told to buy them again. If that wasn't enough, as soon as this happened, ALL the other books I had bought from Amazon or other ebook sites gave me either the DRM notice or a cannot open notice.

Amazon's Kevin was wonderful in getting the one month old Kindle RMA'd and a replacement one sent within days. Unfortunately, despite the Kindle being a MONTH old and despite having PAID for the extra 2 year coverage, the Kindle replacement was a refurbished model, the USB cord non-functioning and the USB port already used to the point that the USB cord from my other Kindles (this is number 5 now) connects to the computer sporadically and in order to charge it I have to hold the cord, wrapped around the Kindle and plugged into the male plug to AC power plug.

The USB port is flimsy and if someone tries to insert the USB cord incorrectly, it deforms the port in the Kindle, making it difficult for the USB cord to get a good connection with the computer or power supply.

All in all, I am very disappointed in this Kindle and the Warranty. I had expected it to last longer than 2 weeks and once returned to Amazon via RMA, I had thought a month old Kindle would be replaced by a new, never used unit and not a refurb with issues of its own. Amazon, you dropped the ball on this. The only thing about the entire thing is the exemplary service of Kevin.
on July 16, 2014
This was a supposedly new Kindle, however when I went to register it, the registration kept erroring out. Had to call Amazon to have someone there register it. A week later the charging port broke. Called Amazon again to ask about warranty. When they went to look up my kindle, it was registered to another account....meaning my brand new kindle was actually a refurbished kindle that been rebuilt, but never deactiviated from the original owners account. That's why I couldn't register it in the first place when I received it.

Highly disgusted with Amazon right now. They are supposedly sending me another new Kindle, hope it is new and not another refurbished one that will break in a week.

And yes, I purchased the Kindle directly from Amazon, off of the Amazon website. There was not any third party involved, so this is directly 100% Amazon that is selling refurbushed equipment under the 'new' equipment category.
on March 28, 2014
I've taken a while to write this review and use the product because I wanted to be as accurate as possible. If you're an average/occasional reader and are looking for a devise to browse the web, read books and play games, I'd say your money is better used for an iPad. If this is a purchase solely as an ereader and in addition to your usual tablet, then it is a great product and worth the money.

Pros
-Great portable size that can easily be placed in a purse or travel bag
-Vibrant colors and fast graphics
-Very easy to read in all light setting (artificial, daylight by the pool, reading in bed at night)
-Amazon Prime enables downloading of one book at a time, for as long as you need to borrow it
-Good battery life which allows you a lot of usage without frequent breaks to charge
-Easy grip style allows you hold in one hand with a no-slip function

Ebook Pros
-Hold and define words function. Super user intuitive and great, especially for young readers who don't want to get out a dictionary and may just skip over a word they may not know
-Great to read in all light settings: dark, light, natural light. Unlike other tablets, can adjust the backlighting to compensate for where you are and your viewing preference
-Numerous ebooks available to borrow for free through Amazon Prime program

Cons
-Hard to type for a period of time, especially if you have larger hands. My hands are tiny, I wear a size 4 ring, but I noticed browsing the web is almost a tedious task. Forget paragraph emails; I'd rather use something else than this. Yes, it is bigger than an iPhone, but the in between size of not big-not-small product makes for awkward keyboard usage
-Not user intuitive. This may be because I'm used to using an iPad, however when I got it out of the box, I expected to be able to figure this thing out in minutes. Unfortunately, it's not that easy. It took me quite some time to figure out how to use the borrow function of books on Amazon Prime. I would've like to have seen a home screen button which would take me straight to it as soon as I opened it up. I also think it would give Amazon another place to capture an audience for the Prime subscription
-As a tablet, it just doesn't cut it. I bought this as a supplement to a tablet for reading so I could just throw it in my purse while on the go, but I hoped buying the Kindle Fire HD would provide a bit of extra umph so I could phase out my tablet and just use this portable device. The apps aren't as great nor nearly as many, however maybe it's just timing and once developers realize they need to expand their platforms, better games and apps will be available.

Overall, if you have the extra money and are looking for a strictly reading device, I'd say you can't go wrong with the Kindle HD. It's reasonable priced and very portable. The ebook functions are easy to use and user friendly. A great product made by Amazon.
on October 9, 2013
UPDATED REVIEW: 10/18/2013 Well, I did call customer support, and they were awesome. They quickly replaced my Kindle and the new one has NO PROBLEMS and is absolutely everything I expected and wanted. I've had it for a week now and it's been smooth sailing, so I feel safe in updating my review to full marks - five stars!

ORIGINAL REVIEW 10/9/2013:
I love all the features and what it can do - so much access and connectivity. Being able to do email, supposed to be able to do office work (haven't found that app yet), video streaming, all my books, and so much more.

Biggest problem. It keeps rebooting. If it takes too long to try and authenticate (hangs up or freezes) then it's like it overloads the processors and so it reboots. If you take too long to make a decision on something, it might freeze up and reboot. Then, it gets stuck in this reboot loop where it will reboot every 20-30 seconds no matter what you do. You have to catch it before it does one of these reboots and do a hard boot on it - hold the power button for 30-50 seconds - and then let it sit five minutes before you turn it back on. Very annoying. I emailed customer support on it but have not heard back. So much for their automated "you'll have a response from us within 12 hours." I've had the device for 5 days and we'll see how this goes. I certainly haven't been scared off - I'm more tech savvy than that. It's just glitchy and I need to call the support team instead of email them. I'll do that and then update this review. For now, 4 stars because of the glitches. 10/9/2013