Kindle Fire HDX 8.9", HDX Display, Wi-Fi, 16 GB - Includes Special Offers (Previous Generation - 3rd)
- Exclusive 8.9" HDX display with unsurpassed pixel density (339 ppi/2560x1600), plus powerful 2.2GHz quad-core processor
- Breakthrough ultra-light design - Weighing just 13.2oz, it's 34% lighter than the previous generation
- 8MP rear-facing camera with LED flash, plus a front-facing HD camera for Skype video calls and more
- Live on-device tech support is just a tap away with the new "Mayday" button
Top customer reviews
One year in...
This review is for the the no-ad 64 GB wifi-only HDX 8.9.
I use a Galaxy S5 Android smartphone so the HDX is for media / web surfing / offline viewing for travel. Since I had already been using Amazon Prime and Prime Music it was a no brainer for me to use the HDX to fill the role of media / web surfing on a tablet.
Be informed about the download limitations to this device. Amazon has been adding clarification to this which should help would-be purchasers make a more informed opinion. This wasn't as obvious as it should have been when I ordered mine so they're listening which is good.
Be aware that their most popular Prime content *may* not be available to download (and save) to your HDX. You can save certain videos to your HDX but you won't know which ones until you buy an HDX and try it out. *** Edited 12/21/2013 You can now see a list of Prime movies and shows that can be downloaded to the device. That's an improvement and more clearly shows the available downloadable Prime content. +1 for Amazon. ***
I was also under the assumption that you could download as many videos as you'd like with the limiting factor being the memory capacity of the HDX. Also NOT the case. So again, I bought the larger capacity HDX under this assumption. That was dumb on my part as it turns out because you're not limited by storage capacity. You're limited the NUMBER of downloads you can have on your device. Kids' content can be really short so you may find yourself running into that limitation, but most people never will.Read more ›
My profile: I’m a heavy tablet user for personal and business purposes. I work on my tablet around 4-5 hours a day (Email / Documents / Spreadsheet / PDF) & use the tablet 1-2 hours for personal use such as watching movies or reading books/magazine. The HDX tablet is my go-to device for all internet related search I do. It is also my main electronic device, more important than my smartphones and laptops
I have the following and/or used the following before:
1) iPad 1
2) iPad 2
3) iPad 4
4) iPad Mini
5) Kindle Fire
6) Kindle Fire HD
7) Kindle Fire HD 8.9
8) Asus Transformer with Keyboard
9) Nexus 7 First Gen
10) Kindle HDX 7” – which I also have a review you can check out
As you can see, I been through many devices and hope this review with my experience helps users decide if this is the right device for them. This will be an ongoing review for this device throughout this year. For comparison sake, I will use last year's Kindle Fire HD 8.9 and also the Fire HDX 7” as benchmarks
The same chipset is used on the Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 as it is in the Kindle Fire 7” As I mentioned in the 7” review, this is leaps and bounds faster than last year Kindle HD. Last year Kindle struggles to go through any HD video content I put in. This year's HDX able to play seamlessly all the HD 1080p contents I added. It is incredible how much the 2.2Ghz quad processor improved vs last year's model Dual 1.2Ghz.Read more ›
1. Built on Android does not mean you can have Google Play Apps. This is an unfortunate inconvenience, as there are some Google Apps that are just better than their Amazon App counterparts, and a few that I can not find within the Amazon Apps. If you want a fully functional tablet, then buy a tablet and download the free kindle app. If you want to pay more for something that does less, then the kindle is for you. This was a gift, so I will keep it, and continue to use my phone for the rest of my Apps that are not available on the kindle.
2. Camera is less than perfect. Limited settings available. Again, I will use my phone for pics, the same scene with my phone showed the flames, with a small amount of glare. (Husband is a firefighter, so I take a lot of pictures of their exercises for their training.) An old Casio Exilim C721 phone with 5MP camera still takes better pictures at night.
3. Kindle unlimited... I can not find anything worthy of paying a subscription price every month for. The Authors I want to read are not included.
4. Amazon Prime... See #3, They doubled the price, and to me I just don't see anything there worthy of the cost, including Amazon instant video, no shows that I watch are included. Another family member did the 30 day trial, and was quite disappointed when his content disappeared after the trial.
5. Youtube videos work ok, sometimes choppy, could be my connection or the device (computer playback worked fine when I had the time to test simutaneously). Other online video from various sources would not play in Silk Browser, refer to #1 Chrome Browser not available to download.
6. Office Suite... I can not figure out how to unlock documents. I can view them, but I can not edit them.
Somewhere in the middle:
1.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
We bought several Kindle Fires in 2014. All three have died, unable to charge or load within 2 months of each other in 2017. These had much better internal memory. Read morePublished 1 day ago by Zace
I bought a Kindle Fire HDX8.9 with 4G AT T service about 2 and a half years ago. I loved it up until about 2 weeks ago when it crashed and wouldn't boot up. Read morePublished 3 days ago by Paul
This thing is a HOT MESS! I bought it and immediately had problems with it. I should have sent it back immediately, but life being what life is, I got busy and forgot about it. Read morePublished 5 days ago by E. Dee
Stay away from Kindles. Kindle no longer support Hulu. Who knows what will be next.Published 6 days ago by Snake River
Generally I prefer to buy refurbished, but unfortunately after purchasing one of these I began having issues with the unit freezing up, issues w the keyboard typing gibberish while... Read morePublished 7 days ago by Jen Nicholson
Loved my HDX8.9 until it suddenly FAILED TO BOOT with no "fix" in sight! Powers on to Logo then... NOTHING. = I had the same problem with my HDX8.9 as many other comments. Read morePublished 9 days ago by Trinazon
Logged in to see new models,and they just don't compare to this workhorse. Mine still runs great and got it in Jan 2014!
If you candidate's used one, go for it!!
I loved my Kindle Fire HDX 8.9 but after a year or so of purchase, the sound card went out and it completely crashed and is no longer useful, at all. Read morePublished 12 days ago by usafchick31
When I first received my tablet as a Christmas gift it was great. I could surf the web, use Facebook, play a few games, and read my Kindle books. Read morePublished 14 days ago by tlc