Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now STEM

I know that the Jedi Code forbids romantic love, but do you know why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 12, 2009 7:11:13 AM PDT
Do you think the fear of loosing someone close to a Jedi could cause him/her to fall to the Dark Side of the Force? If you have a possible reason, please feel free to post it. Anything!

Posted on Apr 14, 2009 9:51:36 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
I think "Revenge of the Sith" answered this question, Love makes us do dumb things, anyone who has ever been in love knows what I am talking about, as in "Sith" Yoda explains it clearly>>> "The fear of loss or attachments is a path to the dark side" to qoute him from "Phantom Menace" >>>> "fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering".... as demonstrated in "Sith", this is why I have never understood those who hate EP I, seeing Anakin as a innocent kid made his turn in "Sith" all the more powerful & sad!!!, If Lucas would have began with "Sith" I doubt the impact would have been the same!!

Posted on Apr 15, 2009 5:32:09 AM PDT
I see. My half-sister also thought it would also distract them from their duties, I guess. I thought that was nuts. That was why the Jedi population was limited. Was that romance restriction used in the original trilogy? No.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2009 5:26:39 AM PDT
Roman85 says:
Yoda & Obi-Wan were the only surviving Jedis in the "Original Trilogy" however Luke broke that rule with Mara Jade in the "New Jedi Order" book series

Posted on Apr 16, 2009 5:00:19 PM PDT
Well, Michael. I am not sure if that romance ban was used in the books. I thought they learned what went wrong in Revenge of the Sith, the hard way. I don't really read the novels, so I don't know.

Posted on Jul 6, 2010 8:29:22 AM PDT
Chet Fakir says:
Because otherwise the stupid plot point of forbidden love between Princess Coo Coo and Dark Helmet couldn't be made.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011 3:03:54 AM PDT
David Frost says:
Most people can't love without attachment. Attachment clouds your mind and judgment; attachment leads to suffering. I think you know where the rest of this goes.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2011 1:46:56 PM PDT
Chet Fakir says:
I think that non-attachment leads to a lot more suffering than loving someone and being loved. I wonder what the rate of child molestation is in the Jedi order? Perhaps its on a parallel with the Catholic church.

Posted on Apr 17, 2012 8:20:55 AM PDT
John Davis says:
Personally I think the entire thing is stupid. I fail to see how caring about somebody or forming an attachment to them leads to the dark side. Sure you can go on about the whole attachment to jealousy to anger to hate thing all you want, but I think the answer to the question lies not in forbidding attachment and love, therefore leading to the inability to go to your superiors or those around you about your problems, to help you, so you end up having to bottle them up and eventually they are let out in an unhealthy manner, that's what leads to the dark side. The answer is to teach how to accept the loss of those you love and deal with your more volatile emotions instead of suppressing them.

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 8:45:12 PM PST
This is a no brainer. Romantic love is forbidden due to its attachment. George Lucas based the Jedi on Tibetan Buddhist monks. Remember, Episode V - Empire Strikes Back - where the city in the clouds - Bespin- is a Tibetan gas mining colony. (Note - The city of Lassa in modern day Tibet is sometimes referred to as the City in the Clouds).

Also Yoda's musings in Episode 1 where he tells Anakin that fear leads to anger; anger leads to hate and hate leads to the Dark side. This is straight Buddhism.

I am currently studying gnosis. We carefully observe attachments because most attachments stop us from self realising. There is nothing wrong with love. that is divine love or love for all humanity, BUT, romantic love has the dual elements of fantasy and selfishness.

It is the selfishness of attachment that leads Anakin on the dark side as he is "scared" of losing Padme. Anakin marrying Padme from the Force point of view in effect meant that Anakin had dissolved his Jedi vows (you cannot serve God/The Force as well as his opposite in this case the Dark Side/Emperor). In the novel Attack of the clones the Emperor "grimly smiles" when Anakin marries Padme knowing full well that the Vader persona was being rapidly created. Palpatine encouraged the ill-fated union knowing it would "cut" any links to the Jedi order.

It is the same for the Jedi and for the Sith. The Jedi are selfless by NOT forming emotional attachments. The Sith are selfish and power mad. A love interest would distract them from their ultimate goal .... power. Palpatine/Emperor tells Anakin this in Episode III just before he recites the story of Darth Plageuis the Wise is told.

Posted on Jan 29, 2014 8:45:24 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Jan 29, 2014 8:45:38 PM PST]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Apr 12, 2009
Latest post:  Jan 29, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Test Big Data 1737
Test Big Data 1737 (Theatrical Release)
3.6 out of 5 stars (2,610)