Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > This Year's Model forum

An open letter to Elvis Costello (not that he'll ever see it or read it).

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-7 of 7 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 18, 2008, 11:31:52 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2008, 11:33:29 AM PST
Wayne Klein says:
Dear Elvis,

I live in a world where there are children, expenses and other things that consume most of my budget. Like you I love music and like you I have a finite amount of money to spent (although yours has increasingly gotten larger with time).

You should make these deluxe editions with the concert discs available to fans in a separate single disc edition as well. Not with the original album only (which UMG did in a bizarre move that, frankly, doesn't make sense) but with the concert recordings available separately.

No one wants to become a music pirate but these type of triple dips (previously confined to companies where the artist had little to no input in that decision) is insulting to your fans.

Honestly, we love you but tough love has got to rule the day here otherwise I'd have yet another Elvis album duplicating the others I already have.

Do the right things for your fans (and there are many of middle aged ones that are giving up on artist such as yourself because of the exploitation of their fan base by these re-releases).

If nothing else, price them so that they are like a single disc release. I realize that economics play into this as well as supporting your family but your fans have supported you for a long time (in my case since 1978).

Follow Andy Partridge's suit with his demo series "Fuzzy Warbles" and release these separately so fans don't have to buy what they already have purchsed (Andy's compilations did not overlap with ANY of the Virgin releases of XTC's back catalog--the right way to do things IMHO).

Thanks

Wayne

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008, 10:19:03 AM PDT
Bart Fargo says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2008, 12:55:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2008, 1:29:06 PM PDT
Wayne Klein says:
Gary,

If you did a bit of research you'd discover the following:

Elvis Costello owns all the rights to his back catalog and he elected tohave them all reissued in two formats the first a single disc and the second "deluxe" editions that mimic the Rhino 2 disc editions. My issue is that EC has reissued these three times since he took control of his catalog (not to mention the Demon and Columbia reissues)and keeps reissuing them with different bonus tracks/live albums so that fans (who might not want to pay for a two disc set but might want the live album)end up having to buy the whole thing again.

That's the gripe. It dosn't treat fans well. It smacks of an artist taking advantage of his fans in the worst possible way (why not issue them as live discs alone? Fans will buy them but in this set fans have to pay an inflated price to buy something AGAIN--in some cases the fourth or fifth time not including vinyl just to get the live material). You're right no one HAS TO BUY THEM but fans who do buy CDs (and there are fewer and fewer of us out there sadly) shouldn't be FORCED to purchase the same product they already have to get something included that wasn't part of the package in the first place at an inflated price (you're paying for a two disc set not one).

It's as simple as that. Hopefully that answers your question. Perhaps you're happy buying the same thing again and again but many of his fans are not and have been very vocal about this.

I should point out that these are available on itunes but there are many of us that aren't happy with the sound quality from itunes. It would be nice if they were available with higher quality lossless sound. There is also the issue that, depending on the number of tracks, it would cost roughly the same as purchasing the album AGAIN. It's also the principle of the thing--to do the right thing by fans even if that means making it available much how Andy Partridge did with his Fuzzy Warbles series of releases.

Heck, he could release a boxed set of these concerts AND fans would buy them.

I'm not against EC makking a buck I am, however, against the exploitation of fans.

In reply to an earlier post on May 21, 2008, 2:31:31 PM PDT
jed clampett says:
Good for you Wayne I'm totally with you on this. As a fan of Elvis going back as far as the 78 winterland show with nick lowe and having seen him play probably close to 50 times i've noticed a certain attitude among some fans that reminds me of watching letterman (who i also dig but lately i've noticed this as well with him) which is no matter what they say or do people will laugh, with letterman, or bow down, with Costello. This started actually early on with elvis when he demanded that people stand up (i think it was an early berkeley community theatre show that i remember this from) and lo and behold they did so really there is an element of arrogance there that some people fall right into feeding and it seems, to me anyway, that this blatant mechandising with having to re-buy albums to get some extras is another example of it. Like you said Wayne, if he was putting out just the concert albums that would be one thing but why gouge what are probably his most loyal fans? Sounds like greed to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2008, 6:31:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2008, 6:33:06 AM PST
Right on Wayne & Jed--
I, too, am a devoted EC fan (1st show 1979 Long Beach), and I have probably seen him about a dozen times over the years. He lost me sometime in the mid-90s with all the operatic warbling, and I prefer to just work with the large cache of amazing pop albums from '77 to about '95. Where I join you is on the audacious rip that he and the record companies have engaged in on the multi-reissues of his music. Honestly, the best cds of his that I had were the Demon imports from the late 80s, some of which I stupidly sold/traded for the Rhino releases in the early 90s--wish I could get them back!! I think Elvis is among the most exploitative of artists in this regard, up there with Bowie and the people handling Hendrix.

It just sucks to shell out for the same stuff over and over--so I typically do not do it. Just can't condone it. I want him to make a living, and I understand that the well has perhaps run dry--but not this way, not by pushing me retreads.

I agree that Elvis should just start selling the live shows as separate cds, or market the live & out-take versions as Dylan has done as official bootleg versions, something of this sort. I'd buy a big multi-disc package, or several 1-2 disc issues--no problemo!!! But I don't need another My Aim is True, Armed Forces, etc. Done that x5 already, Declan. There is some really cool old live concert & TV footage on You-Tube--why not put out a DVD package of some of that? Well, let's hope he listens to reason....

Posted on Jul 4, 2011, 8:37:24 PM PDT
Got to agree with the general tenor of these reviews. It'd be a gesture of respect to the handful of fans who actually buy CD's if these live recordings could be marketed separately for those of us who already have vinyl and (multiple) CD versions.

Posted on Jul 4, 2011, 8:38:40 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Jul 4, 2011, 8:38:59 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  This Year's Model forum
Participants:  5
Total posts:  7
Initial post:  Feb 18, 2008
Latest post:  Jul 4, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

This discussion is about
This Year's Model
This Year's Model by Elvis Costello (Audio CD - 1993)
4.6 out of 5 stars (139)