Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Back to School
Customer Discussions > Night (Night) forum

For many readers, the definitive Holocaust experience

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-4 of 4 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 30, 2006 11:47:28 AM PST
I recall first reading this as a teenager, and it was a transformative part of growing up. Since then I have heard from many people that reading this memoir was an experience itself, and the definitive exposure to the Holocaust for them. Certainly the reviews on Amazon reflect that.

The greatness of this thin book is its haunting humanity, even in its plain unembroidered atrocity and quick descent into brutishness. There is no vivid redemption, no real heroes, just survival. When people say "Never forget," they mean the WWII Holocaust -- but this book reminds me that it also means "Never forget what lies under a thin veneer in every man and woman." The humanity is what we make of that veneer, how we maintain and strengthen it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 10, 2006 8:54:19 AM PST
Jay Nicholas says:
I agree with what you are saying, Joseph. I also first read this book when I was a teenager; it was a required reading for my high school literature class. Although I don't remember how I reacted when I first read it, just recently I remembered why I never forgot the name Elie Wiesel. The book is both riveting and disturbing. I agree with what Oprah said when she announced this book club selection. She said that this book should be required reading for all of humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2006 6:33:58 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 3, 2007 12:39:27 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2006 5:03:00 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 6, 2011 12:02:18 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Night (Night) forum
Participants:  4
Total posts:  4
Initial post:  Jan 30, 2006
Latest post:  Dec 20, 2006

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Night; with Connections
Night; with Connections by Elie Wiesel (Hardcover - May 8, 2009)
4.4 out of 5 stars (1,070)