Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Back to School

Do I need to play FF XIII first before I play FF XIII-2?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-11 of 11 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Feb 1, 2012 5:08:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 1, 2012 5:09:33 PM PST
d@_dude says:
Hi there,

Can I go into this game with little background (didn't play XIII) and still pick it up and enjoy the story?

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 7:08:54 PM PST
Cwbys21 says:
supposedly there is a summary in the game somewhere of the first game, so I would say maybe, but I haven't played it yet myself.

Posted on Feb 1, 2012 8:04:03 PM PST
J. Ouderkirk says:
You don't HAVE to, as there is a summary of the game you can read on the title screen, but I would recommend that you do go back and buy XIII first.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 7:39:16 AM PST
I played FFXIII for like 6 hours and lost interest very quickly. I was very hesitant of picking up this copy but I liked the demo so I bought XIII-2 yesterday. I read the Prologue's 14 chapters I beleive and definitely filled me in as to what happened on the first game. By the way, I've had more fun with the few hours played on FFXIII-2 than I did with FFXIII.

Posted on Feb 2, 2012 8:05:44 AM PST
d@_dude says:
Thank you for the replies, all. I will probably take John G's approach and fill myself in with what happened on XIII. I've always been (and still) a fan of FF games, ever since FFII (SNES). But because of the linearity play style that I've read on every post for FFXIII, I didn't bother picking it up because I am the type that enjoys more of the side missions, character leveling up, etc. Remember the Chocobos in FFVII when you hadt to breed a golden one just to obtain the Knights of the Round in an island way off the map). That was frustrating and fun. It's those kind of side quests, not required to finish the game but fun to acquire anyhow, that I enjoy about RPG games.

Posted on Feb 4, 2012 9:21:01 AM PST
dredspider says:
I found FF13 to be a great game, I will admit it was very boring for the early levels, but once you get past that it is quite an enjoyable game, especially after you beat the game and continue on the hunts. I also found the story of FF13 very enjoyable. Yes it was a very linear game, but I'm playing 13-2 and it is also very linear as well. FF13 was an enjoyable game at onlly 9.99-14.99 nowadays it's definately worth picking up and passing through the boring parts to get to the excitement. You don't have to play and beat FF13 to play FF13-2 but the story tells it a bit different than the ending of the actually FF13. I think the hunts on FF13 will satisfy your need for Side quests, especially if you trying for 100% completion.

Posted on Feb 5, 2012 6:42:32 PM PST
B. Kumar says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 9, 2012 6:37:32 AM PST
GarionOrb says:
The stories of both games aren't too interconnected, but playing the first game will familiarize you with the characters. When the first game's characters show up in XIII-2, there's no explanation of their background at all, which is kind of important in a lot of cases.

Posted on Mar 1, 2012 2:07:00 PM PST
Desired FX says:
I think they're actually very interconnected, but most of the connections are small, subtle things that add to the experience rather than being important plot points. In addition, you end up in several locations that you once experienced as part of XIII, so there's a fun familiarity that comes with that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2012 6:20:33 AM PDT
J. Mcdonald says:
I just beat 13 and I'd say no. The story is simple and drug out honestly. I was thinking the same thing so I played through this first, it's definitely not worth spending 40+ hours to see. It even has me turned off from wanting to play 13-2 now, as much as the combat system is decent, I don't think I can stomach another fully length game with the "automated" combat (even though that wasn't my issue with 13, that would be the main thing that carries over to 13-2).

Tip: Just watch the cutscenes on youtube.

Posted on Mar 12, 2012 9:32:10 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2012 9:32:45 AM PDT
d@_dude says:
Hi Janet,

I wasn't asking whether I should play XIII-2 over XIII, I was asking the opposite; but you're saying you did the opposite of what I was asking and now highly suggesting that I shouldn't play XIII-2. I'm confused.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  9
Total posts:  11
Initial post:  Feb 1, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3
Final Fantasy XIII-2 - Playstation 3 by Square Enix (PlayStation 3)
4.2 out of 5 stars (499)