Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou MeBeforeYou  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Do not buy the Bundle, Guitar is poor.

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2011, 5:50:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 27, 2011, 5:51:18 PM PDT
moogle_kupo says:
The reviews of people saying that the included guitar is awesome or plays great must be from newcomers that haven't had a lot of exposure to the instrument. If judging by looks only, I'd say its a 10. It looks like a nice guitar and feels like a decent guitar. That's as far as the complements go however. In fact, I would say this guitar hurts the game and could possibly turn people away from wanting to learn how to play altogether. Nothing is more aggravating and frustrating than trying to play a guitar that can NOT be played in tune. Especially when trying to learn, because you don't know if its something your doing wrong or just the fault of a cheap guitar.

The intonation on the guitar that I received was terrible. When tuned perfectly in standard tuning (E,A,D,G,B,E) the notes would be off as i played further up the fret board. The guitar did not have an adjustable tune-o-matic bridge, so there was nothing that could be done to adjust the intonation of the guitar. Chords played in the open position are fine, but when playing bar chords it would sound terrible.

I can't comment on the the game yet because i wrapped this thing up and sent it right back so I can just buy the Game alone. If you are considering on buying this bundle, DO NOT. You will only become frustrated and detoured from practicing because you will sound terrible and think its because of your lack of ability. In fact it is just do to the fact that this is a cheap imitation of a guitar. You can look at your local guitar store and try guitars you feel comfortable with. Then write down the type of guitar it is and its model number. You can then shop around or hop on ebay and get a GREAT used guitar with a case for $200~$500.

Posted on Nov 5, 2011, 1:29:06 PM PDT
SportingBlue says:
Thanks for the advice. The reviews seem to indicate the same thing you're talking about.

Posted on Nov 6, 2011, 4:32:45 PM PST
Tommy says:
ARGH. I have heard nothing but back and forth info about this guitar, and I've checked everywhere. I looked up the guitar itself only, and it has mostly positive reviews everywhere. THEN I read about the guitar that comes with the game and I've heard about four bad reviews including this one. The problem is the reviews are all quite detailed in what is wrong. So I STILL don't know what to do. Maybe I'll just buy the version that has gotten good reviews separately.

It's just as well cause Amazon no longer has the bundle in stock. I'm not paying these outrageous prices from the other vendors either.

Posted on Nov 8, 2011, 1:11:15 AM PST
Victor J says:
Doesn't the game come with a REAL Epiphone Les Paul? Can't see how a real guitar is awful with a game that requires a real guitar.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2011, 9:01:09 AM PST
Tommy says:
I don't think you understand mate. Guitars are like anything else that's made, some are great and some are bad. I'm hoping that the bad reviews are from people who just happened to get a poorly made one, but in that situation I'm still uncertain on my next step atm.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011, 11:36:35 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011, 11:47:03 AM PST
moogle_kupo says:
Tommy, I totally understand your frustration about the back and fourth info on the guitar. I ran into the same thing when researching it, which is why i decided to go ahead and try it out for myself. I searched here on amazon and found a guitar similar to the one that's included in the bundle at about the same price.

Epiphone Les Paul SPECIAL-II Electric Guitar, Vintage Sunburst

Just judging by the picture alone(which is not a good way to solely judge a guitar), I would say that this guitar would be better because it has a tune-o-matic bridge. which allows each string to be adjusted for proper intonation. If you look at the picture of the guitar included with the bundle it only has a single medal bridge that can NOT be adjusted. Looking at the guitar in the pic i posted, you see 2 medal units. The one closest to the pic-ups has 6 screws coming out the top which allows you to shorten or lengthen each individual string. By no means am I suggesting you run out and buy this guitar because i haven't actually played it to verify its playability. Just referencing it so you can see what I'm talking about with the tune-o-matic bridge. Also the reviews of the guitar seem good as well.

Posted on Nov 11, 2011, 11:46:29 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2011, 11:56:17 AM PST
moogle_kupo says:
And yuppers Victor this game does come with a "Real Guitar" but it is more a representation of what a guitar is than an actual playable guitar. After a few months of practice all of its flaws would be painfully evident and you'd be running out to buy a better guitar anyway. I actually own an Les Paul Epiphone guitar that I love and it plays great! It cost me $400 and came with a case as well. A guitar is an instrument that Demands expert craftsmanship in order for it to be playable, and you aren't going to find that craftsmanship in a $100 guitar.

Even though i posted a link to the guitar above, id highly suggest staying away from any guitar that is less than $200. Don't be intimidated by stopping by a music shop in your area. It'll only take you a few minutes and you'll be able to get your hands quite a few different types of guitars and help from people that are knowledgeable enough to help ya understand what to look for. You aren't obligated to buy anything from them. When ever I see a guitar I like, i write down the model number, make and price of the guitar and then look into it a bit online at stores like musicians friend, here on amazon, ebay etc. I've even been able to have guitar Center price match for me so I didn't have to buy online.

I'd hate for anyone to feel overwhelmed to the point where they end up not picking up a guitar, but wanted to warn those that are new to the guitar that the one in this bundle is NOT a quality instrument. With that said, it is better than my first guitar that my mom bought for me at walmart 16 years ago for $150 lol. If you love the instrument, nothing will detour you from learning, but like me you'll eventually have to buy another guitar that will match your understanding, skill and ear. ...but if you end up enjoying the guitar, having more than one isn't going to be a problem anyway!

Posted on Dec 22, 2011, 4:28:35 AM PST
Gman says:
The guitar that comes with the bundle is a real guitar. Maybe not a great guitar but for absolute beginners, you can't beat it really. I bought the bundle and I'm a beginner. In my opinion, the guitar is perfect for beginners. Yes the tuners are cheap and have to be tuned alot but the way the game is set up you have to retune every song. There is only one humbucker and one tone and one volume. But when you are a noob like me, the more simple the better. Now if you are good at guitar and been playing for a while this guitar will probably disapoint you. But then again if you are great at guitar, You probably know your guitars and you wont buy the bundle anyway. The game amps the sound to the song you are playing and sounds pretty good to me. I wouldnt go out and purchase a high dollar guitar to learn and pracice with this game. Get a better one later when you are ready.

Posted on Dec 22, 2011, 8:01:25 AM PST
Hard Maple says:
Any guitar needs to be adjusted over the factory setting. Its called getting "set-up." As electric guitars are made of wood, and every piece of wood is different (I build electric guitars and furniture), each guitar has individual characteristics. This process adjusts the neck, strings and pickups to the particular characteristics of that guitar. The bundle comes with an Epiphone Les Paul Jr. While the neck and [single] pick-up are adjustable, the bridge adjustments are so limited, they don't really count as adjustable IMHO. The Epiphone Special II that moogle suggests is not bad, its actually the first guitar I owned. I learned on it for about 2 years before stepping up and building my own. My suggestion is to buy the game seperately, the Special II (I think the ebony version is even cheaper), and spend the $75 +/- to have a professional set it up. You'll pay more in the short run, but I believe you will get more satisfaction and enjoyment in the long run.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2011
Latest post:  Dec 22, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

This discussion is about