Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning Landline Landline Landline  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Juno (Single-Disc Edition) forum

Am I the only person to realize this movie sucks?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 70 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Mar 7, 2008, 2:03:15 PM PST
A. K. Curtis says:
Or is everyone blinded by the emo music and Ellen Page's horrible dialogue?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 7, 2008, 3:41:20 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Mar 7, 2008, 3:44:49 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 17, 2008, 5:23:17 AM PDT
Al136 says:
Firstly, yes, yes you are. Secondly, the music is not even remotely like music associated with the 'emo' genre and thirdly, Ellen page didn't write the dialogue, Diablo Cody did, so... wow.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 20, 2008, 6:44:56 PM PDT
thames says:
No. Not at all.

Ever heard of "THE FILTHY CRITIC"?

No, you say?

Well do check out The Filthy Critic's review of JUNO and have yourself a good hearty laugh.
I'll tell you what happened with me: I read The Filthy Critic's review of JUNO and it fit so absolutely perfectly with what I had come to expect this film to be like from all that I had read and heard about it that I decided I'll never make a point to see it.

Go to---
http://www.bigempire.com/filthy/juno.html

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 21, 2008, 5:29:42 PM PDT
Al136 says:
Okay, i apologise. I may have jumped the gun with the 'yes,yes you are' comment, i was aware of the aforementioned review but like most people who absolutely adore a particular movie, i dismissed it as someone who clearly wasn't watching that time they saw it. Bob, i am also saddened by your militant attitude toward a movie you have not even taken the time to see. Perhaps you should actually watch Juno, you might not like it, i apologise if you don't, but it is worth seeing even if it just confirms your suspicions.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 25, 2008, 4:59:54 AM PDT
el Hombre says:
No, you're not the only one. I didn't care for this movie much. At least it wasn't as bad as "Garden State".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 7, 2008, 2:52:15 PM PDT
jacinto says:
NO!!!!!!!!!! YOU ARE RIGHT IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 8, 2008, 3:11:52 AM PDT
J. Forst says:
yup, this sucked BIG TIME! I just dont know what was worse - the artificial acting or the repetitive guitar/vocals "Soundtrack" that sounded like a deer getting hit by a car. Worst movie I saw all year. Ellen page gets zero awards from me. The dialogue was the lamest thing i've heard simce "Brick".

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2008, 7:38:04 PM PDT
Camera Man says:
omg!!! Yes I agree that it was terrible. The same for BRICK. I want to enjoy a movie not have it hit me over the head time and time again that it is so witty and self important. Other posters, please check out the bigempire link posted by Bob. The review was perfectly stated. These type of movies need to be called on their BS.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008, 3:49:06 PM PDT
Hahahaha...well thanks for reviewing a film that you haven't seen and never will see....moving on.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 15, 2008, 4:20:34 PM PDT
Marcus says:
Thank you! Finally someone has common sense!

This movie was just dreadful!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008, 1:25:31 AM PDT
T. J. Young says:
This movie wasn't anything special for me. My wife watched it and said it was cute... I just didn't get much from it. It seemed to me like any other "torn between decisions" movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008, 3:19:24 PM PDT
I just thought it was overly idiosyncratic and felt so, so, SO forced.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008, 7:59:30 PM PDT
Ok, so a lot of people liked this movie, some people didn't. Truth is people who like the "indie" music and such probably will like it. The dialogue, I thought, was great, maybe that's because that's how me and all my friends talk. Everyone has an opinion and that's fine with me. It's fine if you don't like it, just don't complain so much. Personally it just makes me think that you have a horrible taste in movies, music, and basically life...sorry.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 16, 2008, 10:27:22 PM PDT
Nope can't say you're the only one who hated this contrived crap. I thought this movie was absolutely hideous and WAY overrated. The fact that it was nominated for an Oscar shows how much the academy awards have gone down the crapper. This movie was just a huge mess of pointless pop culture references and bland performances that doesn't deserve any praise in my opinion.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008, 5:45:57 AM PDT
What are you a 'Rambo' fan? if the genre is not to your liking, don't go in the first place. It was a great movie - and I am not easy to please. The dialogue, written by someone other than the young actress, obviously, was great.

I loved the characters. I didn't expect it to be so good. And the music as inspiring and perfect for the movie. So, it's not everyone's taste. That doesn't make it bad, just different than what you like. Movie critics don't judge things by what *they* like, but by standards of performance, plot, etc. In this case, all were above average.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008, 11:04:24 AM PDT
It was nominated for an Oscar? Lulzzzz. Do you think you are a better judge of a movie than the world renown board of professionals that makes the decisions and judgements for good movies? Now, I agree that people can have their opinion, but If I had to trust the people that dtermine the movies that get awards, and a bunch of buthurtantifolk kids on amazon, well I think you get it.
I agree with Andea by the way. Exactly

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 17, 2008, 10:11:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 17, 2008, 10:25:12 PM PDT
Dahlia says:
I didn't think this movie was all that great. I kind of wondered if I was the only one. I thought it was okay - decent for a first venture into screenwriting - but I found the dialog completely unrealistic for a 16-year-old. Her character is extremely typical of the popular YA literature right now. There's a deluge of "witty" (not really) 15 and 16 year old girls who talk like acerbic adults. It's just not realistic. That's NOT how teens are. It's how they wish they were. I know because I live with some.

Oh and gnawing on that stupid pipe as she's sitting in the chair on the front lawn in the first scene made me cringe. I had a friend in college who used to do that and it irritated the crap out of me every time - it just screams "I'm different! I broke the mold! I'm sooo not a typical girl!" YUCK.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 19, 2008, 10:56:57 AM PDT
Steph says:
Hah. I find it hilarious that all these people are saying "I didn't like the dialogue" or "The dialogue is unrealistic". I'm 17, and as scary as it is, others my age do talk like that! I mean, sometimes I do, but I do it sarcastically. I really liked some of the dialogue...it could get annoying at times, but it was very realistic and funny to me. And the music was brilliant, and nothing was "emo" about it. And also, Bob, maybe you should WATCH the movie before judging it? It may be a "overrated" and people make a big deal over it, but it's still a good watch.

And I am also not very easy to please about movies. I'm very overcritical. So while I loved the movie, it doesn't mean I didn't see some flaws...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2008, 8:51:27 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Apr 20, 2008, 8:51:55 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 20, 2008, 9:43:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 28, 2008, 9:42:37 PM PDT
I don't understand one-star reviews of this film or people saying that it "sucks". When you look at all of the films that come out in a year, or in any given time period, you can find a lot of them as being really bad for one reason or another. A lot of movies are dumb, pointless, vulgar, insulting to taste or intelligence, or just plain not entertaining. It's staggering how bad movies can get. Juno at least is unusual. I found a lot of the dialog to be funny and/or charming. I found several characters to be interesting personalities. I thought the acting and direction were good. Performing witty comedy is hard as hell for an actor to pull off without a hitch, and Ellen Page did a great job of handling that dialog without awkward delivery and without stepping out of character. I thought the situations the characters faced to be thought-provoking (as in, what would I do in this situation?). Compare that level of story, dialog and character detail to the many vapid, unintellectual comedies released each year, or pointless, plot-thin action or slasher flicks that have no fully-developed characters at all. Clearly, some films are truly one-star (or no-star) films. I wouldn't expect that everyone would like this film. It's fine if you don't. But, given all of the horrible, horrible dreck out there, I don't think it is reasonable to rate this one so low. Most people who have seen it like it a lot. Same goes for the professional critics. And the Academy. I don't always agree with the Academy or the critics, but I doubt all of those people would have rated this film so highly if it had no merit on any level. At least give it some points for originality and technical skill. Heck, if nothing else, it provokes more discussion than most films do, which most good art does - a sign of quality. Yes, there are definitely one-star and no-star movies out there, but there's no way that Juno deserves to be considered as one of them. You may not like it, and that's fine, but no doubt it's got more going for it (and more going on in it) than most films out there.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 21, 2008, 10:23:55 PM PDT
I thought it was a wonderful movie. It's the first time I ever saw Ellen Page in a movie, and I think she did a great job.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008, 8:28:43 PM PDT
Breanna says:
emo? get a friggin dictionary. ellen page is an [awesome]actress, she didn't write the dialogue. & yes i think u& like 3 other people in the whole world r the only ones tht think this movie sucks because its AMAZING. you would probably be more into like Mrs. Doubtfire or I Know Who Killed Me or other terrible movies like that.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 22, 2008, 11:08:59 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 25, 2009, 9:00:04 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2008, 11:33:59 AM PDT
Elizabeth says:
Zinnia, that is how many teenagers speak. I was one not so long ago.
And what's wrong with being different? I was definitely not the typical girl as a teen and I wasn't trying to be that way, it was just the way I was.
Just try to be open-minded.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  51
Total posts:  70
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2008
Latest post:  Mar 30, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 6 customers