Your Garage Beauty LyingGame STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno
Customer Discussions > Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC forum

are all the positive reviews done by "professionals" or is it just me?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-14 of 14 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 27, 2010, 9:33:36 PM PDT
J. Harper says:
almost all the 5 star reviews are "too" polished to be true reviews. IMO

Posted on Oct 28, 2010, 1:18:59 AM PDT
Are all the 1Star reviews done by trolls having never played the game....They all repeat the same mistakes.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010, 9:17:58 AM PDT
H.Le says:
Substitute 'some' instead of "all" in your sentences, and both of you will be right.

Posted on Oct 28, 2010, 2:17:03 PM PDT
DrXenos says:
What I want to know is WHY are all the so-called "professional" gaming review sites gushing over this turd?

Posted on Oct 28, 2010, 11:22:04 PM PDT
John Y. says:
Yeah, its unbelievable. The "professionals" lose all credibility when they rate such a poor game so highly. I guess they are dazzled by the flashy graphics and don't pay attention to the dramatic drop in game-play from this game compared to Civ4 and Civ3. Sid Meier, you ought to be ashamed of yourself.

Posted on Dec 16, 2010, 7:46:38 AM PST
Brendan2k5 says:
As for the "Positive Reivews", they're PAID by the game companies to give those reviews. Read this carefully:

DO NOT TRUST REVIEWS IN MAGAZINES OR GAME SITES.

They're always going to be biased without exception. Case Example: Gamestop owns Game Informer. If you've ever bought from them (Gamestop/Funcoland/EB Games--They're all the same company) and have been asked about getting a membership, they'll want to push that horrible magazine on you. Many people swear by the reviews from Game Trailers but I prefer to hear from people who've played the game post-release. You're more likely to get a more raw review that way.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2010, 9:19:43 AM PST
01101110 says:
Brendan is right. I've been reading game magazines since there were game magazines, and they all screw their consumer for the ad cash. They almost always leave themselves an out though, you have to watch their language carefully. Like a politician, they almost always review a 'prerelease copy' and then say OMG I had no idea!. The reviewers in the media are like the news media and the politics media : corrupt and untrustable.

Posted on Dec 29, 2010, 12:34:08 AM PST
NeuroSplicer says:
Most major Gaming Sites and almost every single Gaming Magazine are caught between pre-release access of upcoming games and all-paid-trips to game presentations and conventions on one hand, and being able to publish their honest opinion on the other. Guess which sides always wins...

StarFORCE was wrecking havoc on our systems for years (precipitating a class-action suit against UBISOFT for bundling it with its games) and not one of them had the spine to utter a pip. They kept rating SPLINTER CELL and TRACKMANIA games above 90%!
SecuROM was blocking our drives and crashing our systems (not to mention spying on us) for years but for anything to get printed the grassroots gamer' backlash had to strike from AMAZON.COM. Until then BIOSHOCK and MASS EFFECT were basking in raving reviews.

THAT is why peer opinions and Amazon reviews are so important.

After all, if it weren't for these reviews only a handful of us would now what DRM is.

Posted on Jan 21, 2011, 6:54:53 AM PST
dln says:
I just wrote a in depth review for this game as I was dissapointed on the positive reviews which didnt really go into detail about whats good, and the negative reviews which were kind of lame and mainly focused on Steam or emotional knee jerk reaction.

http://www.amazon.com/review/R1R7AA82Z4Q4IW/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0038TT8QM&nodeID=&tag=&linkCode=

Posted on Mar 22, 2011, 10:24:34 AM PDT
Shrapnel says:
PC Gamer gave DA2 a 94%...
Players are trashing it left and right. Like others said, the 5 star reviews dont say why it's so good, they just give off buzz words...
Unless Consumer Reports starts reviewing games, listen to the players.
Professional Reviews mean they are pros at taking money to repeat what the game makers want you to hear/know about their game, and to cover up what the DONT want you to know.

Posted on Apr 7, 2011, 6:52:07 AM PDT
I'm usually the last one to cry "corporate conspiracy", but I can't for the life of me figure why Civ V was rated highly by anyone. This game is mind-numbingly boring. It is a crushing disappointment to long-time Civ fans and I can't imagine a newcomer to the Civ series being entertained for more than thirty minutes by that game.

Posted on Apr 1, 2012, 5:50:58 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jun 22, 2013, 3:01:20 AM PDT]

Posted on Jun 18, 2012, 11:37:07 AM PDT
Honestly, I don't understand the outrage against the high reviews of this game. I have never really sat down and played any of the previous Civ games, but I watched my brother-in-law play Civ II for a few turns and was instantly turned off. Why in the heck would anyone want to play THAT? But when Civ V came out and I got a copy as a gift, it just instantly clicked with me. It was addicting as chocolate-covered crack sprinkled with diamonds! I played through three complete matches before my attention got diverted by something else. My total time logged (according to Steam) was 35 hours (I have a very short attention span).

Now, that's not bad for a $50 video game! It was thrilling, addicting, super-fun, and then done. You just about can't ask for more than that. And just yesterday, I decide to pick it up again, only to find out that they have a huge new expansion dropping tonight. What great timing! I'm sure I'll devote another 35 or so hours to it.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't play this thing at a chess championship skill level. I hear people say that the AI can't play the game. Well, I guess that sits well with me, as I kind of like to steamroller the competition and feel like the boss without having too much frustration. So maybe all the "professional" reviewers are a lot like me and they like that kind of thing too.

By the way, I write reviews for an online review site now, so I'll probably be publishing a review of Gods and Kings in a few days. I would expect high marks!

Posted on Feb 9, 2013, 3:42:56 AM PST
Mark LaJoie says:
I have been playing Civilization since it was a board game. I still play Civ II, III, IV and Alpha Centauri. I found Civ V to be slow, boring, and awkward. As far as I could tell, Steam was there to sell me stuff. After sitting through the uncancellable intro movie three times I uninstalled Civ V and Steam and tossed the disk into the pile of unused software.
This is what happens when the marketing mavens and bean counters take over from the creative gamers. I have watched the process evolve in other software companies. Farewell. Firaxis!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  14
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2010
Latest post:  Feb 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC
Sid Meier's Civilization V - PC by 2K (Windows 7 / Vista / XP)
2.8 out of 5 stars (1,549)