This cake slice boxtume will rock your world! Wait, boxtume? YES! Put those nifty Amazon Smile boxes to use this season.
This boxtume is awesome because it can be adapted to your favorite frosted confection — a fluffy birthday cake, a slice of flan, ombre cake, a unicorn cake, angel food, red velvet ... you get the picture.
Best of all, I designed it to go right over your head and rest on your shoulders.
Check out my video below to see the process:
- 4 large Amazon Smile boxes
- Duct tape
- White craft glue
- 2 jumbo rolls of party streamers (one for the cake, one for the frosting)
- Scissors or craft knife
- Faux frosting (I used Collage Clay)
- Brush on varnish, brush
- White spray paint
DIRECTIONS FOR CONSTRUCTION:
- Line up two boxes and tape the short ends together. This will be the pointy side of your cake slice.
- Stand it upright and open it to the size you want.
- Take a third box and line it up to make the back of the cake slice. Draw a line where it extends beyond the cake slice and cut away excess using scissors or a craft knife.
- Line up the back piece and tape to the cake slice.
- Take one larger box and lay it flat. Place the cake slice on top. Draw around the shape and cut away excess.
- Cut a hole at the top for the head to go through.
- Place the cut triangle on top of the cake slice and tape in place.
- Cut arm holes on each side.
- Secure all edges with tape.
DIRECTIONS FOR DECORATING:
- Spray paint the entire base white.
- Cut the white party streamers into 16-inch strips. Fold and fringe with scissors.
- Set the cake slice on its side and add a line of white glue along the bottom edge. Set one strip of paper fringe along the glue. Repeat until it's time to add the frosting layer, then use the pink party streamer.
- Continue until the entire cake is covered.
- Repeat for the back of the cake slice, and then the top.
- Add extra ruffles up the sides of the cake to look like frosting.
- Use brush-on varnish to add confetti to the sides of the cake.
- Cut a cardboard triangle and decorate with the faux frosting and confetti. Let dry and glue in place on top of the cake. Add faux icing around the edges.
DIRECTIONS for TIARA:
- Use a plastic tiara and place it around a paper towel roll. Follow the design of the tiara with the faux frosting. Add confetti and a centerpiece.
DIRECTIONS for SQUARE CAKE SLICE:
- If you want something like Tres Leches, wedding cake, strawberry shortcake or pineapple upside-down cake, simply use the square version of the box.
- Wear white leggings or even add a colorful tutu underneath!
Published Oct. 6, 2017