Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop Popular Services twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2 twinpeaksv2  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Ellen

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 20 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 26 reviews
on September 27, 2016
CPAP is an ambitious effort. Somewhat rough for a 3rd edition. I find many of the coding examples lacking in focus and consequently didactically weak. They should be shorter, clearly illustrating core techniques. For example, the Python/Database chapter takes a non-trivial example and rewrites it for several relational DBs--challenging in itself. It also includes considerations for porting to Python 3--diverting from the main focus. Lastly, we find ourselves extending it for two Object Relational Mappers (SQLAlchemy and SQLObject)--intriguing but meriting considerably more coverage. These are extremely useful examples to be sure, if the preliminaries have been addressed sufficiently first. As is, the reader must struggle to remain engaged, consulting other sources to provide the background the author failed to adequately address.

In spite of these weaknesses, I haave found CPAP a much needed exposure to many important application areas for which Python is ideally suited. I appreciate Chun's hard work at assembling this montage. I'm up to the challenge.

I'm convinced there is a better book dying to get out of CPAP. I hope Chun eventually discovers it.
on February 3, 2013
I met the author at Pycon 2010. We discussed some things that I really wanted to see in the next edition and he really delivered. My only complaint about this book is that this edition took so long to release. He spends a good amount of time getting you to understand the background/foundation of a subject area before you just jump into the code. This book isn't for beginners. It's for that person who already has a basic grasp on Python and wants to take it to the next level.

My advice check out the Table of Contents. If you see something in it that interests you grab this book. I bought ebook version first, but honestly when it comes to programming books I need the print copy....so I bought it twice. ./sigh

I'm happy with this purchase.
on March 11, 2014
I needed a book which served as a reference as well as something with lot of examples. For an intermediate python programmer,this book is the best I have come across. Most python books I have encountered are full of bland examples without any real world applications. I could name a dozen of those off the top of my head but thats beside the point. This book wants to make you program and you feel you are learning something useful rather than jut theoretical concepts. Look no further, click buy.
on April 8, 2013
I bought this book to get up to speed quickly for a project because there were a number of chapters that specifically covered my areas of interest. It's well written and segmented with good code samples and is a strong learning guide.

I'm new to Python, but not a programming novice. I supplemented the advanced content of this book with other intermediate reading material from the Python dot org site to get where I need to be. This isn't a beginner's book, but at some point, you're probably going to want to address most of the topics covered in it.

I'd definitely buy again from this author.

UPDATE 2015:
I have come back to this book many times for guidance since the above review - picking up on topics that I hadn't expected to need at that time, my point here is that this book is an impressive single resource for so many powerful areas of Python development, it is still the only Python book I need to own.
on May 3, 2015
If you're a primer in Python, better go with this book rather than any other books (including the fat-scary so-called "Learning Python"). I like the way the author approaches to inform his readers in a gradual process (eating an elephant bit by bit) which, to me, is the way I would like to learn anything. Again, it may be sounding too opinionated, but that's the way I feel after going through other Python books. To me, I think I'll stop here for the basic foundation of this language and since I'm not looking for any advance and convulated topics, I'm happy and satisfied with this book.
on July 9, 2015
I like how well laid out it is and I've learned a lot. What I don't like is about one-third to one-half of the practical assignments do not all completely work. Not sure if that is because of the lack of consistency in Python or just newer versions wiped out some of his workflow or maybe inconsistent directions (hard to believe that, though - I've learned so much about all sorts of things even beyond Python).
on April 4, 2014
Probably the best book I have read on python, I can highly recommend this one for all people interested in the language.
on February 21, 2013
This book has samples with useful descriptions of what is going on for many major tasks that would take much effort to research and develop through trial and error.
on March 14, 2013
So there are some things a book cannot do, and should not do.
That is give you practice with the syntax and the language. I would just get on code academy and do a bunch of exercises and get the feel of the language down. This is a bit like doing scales when you first start a language.

Then there is the music theory which is the computer science part. I think this is essential but really there is a lot there and you need a general book.

But finally, you want to do something useful like write a song (that is a metaphor). Adopting projects that you actually want to accomplish is the best way to learn and also probably the reason you are learning the language in the first place. This is the best book for that. If you want to write a little program, or set up a site, or learn test driven development or something, this book has all the major areas that I can think of covered. And I can think of a ton.

Anyway, I loved this book. What you Chun.
on April 3, 2014
This book is very useful, it has contents that help me to develop an application and practice programming with this language