Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: America Again: Re-becoming the Greatness We Never Weren't
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEM

Format: Hardcover|Change

HALL OF FAMEon October 5, 2012
Stephen Colbert could be standing in the middle of the Sahara and find something funny about every grain of sand - it's non-stop with him in this book, even more so than his nightly program. His thesis here is that as perfect as America is in every possible way, our country is broken! And we can't exchange it because we're way past the 30-day return window. We don't make anything anymore and we've mortgaged our future to China. 'America Again' provides readers with the Truth we need to get back on the right track that we're already on.

Unfortunately, per Colbert, mere ownership of the book constitutes a non-disclosure agreement not to share the contents with anyone. The book is to be purchased only at full price, and if taken out of a library, the borrower is immediately to call the library, pretend to have lost it, and offer to pay for the copy.

I've often wondered about the numerous claims of 'American exceptionalism.' Colbert clears that up using a quote from Newt Gingrich. "America's exceptional greatness . . . (is) the result of American Exceptionalism.' I really liked getting that cleared up.

Colbert credits our growing into an agricultural power to our Unpaid African Internship Program.' 'We've defeated the Native Americans, the Nazis, and even the metric system' - I particularly appreciate the latter.

Colbert even provides readers with insightful economic philosophy via his parable of "The Aynt and the Grasshopper.' According to Colbert, the ant took what he wanted and did not apologize for his success, while the grasshopper fiddled. When Winter came, the ant heard a knock at his door - the grasshopper was pleading for food. They were then both crushed by the foot of Ayn Rand because the way all the ants worked together in their colony reminded her of Socialism.

Example of the Protestant work ethic - Martin Luther's posting 95 Theses on the door of the local Catholic church. Colbert points out that most of us would have stopped at 12 or so theses, but not Martin. He labored on and on - even without Wikipedia to explain phrases like 'plenary indulgences,' or Spell Check.

His chapter titled 'Healthcare,' appropriately has a $50 co-pay and points out that one of the reasons our healthcare is the world's best is because it is exclusive, with comprehensive care reserved for the elite. On energy, 'we need to stop listening to liberal environmentalists and get that oil out from under the ocean - our children swim there!'

'America Again' doesn't lack for solutions, either. In his 'Easy Solutions,' he suggests retracing our steps to where we last saw our thriving economy, spicing up one of our clunker states (eg. new windows and rat traps) before selling it to a Saudi Prince, limiting maternity leaves to 15 minutes, and singing the National Anthem twice before football games.

My suggestion - read 'American Again' slowly, for full comprehension and appreciation.
77 comments| 176 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 5, 2012
Writing a comedy book is hard under even the best circumstances. Comedy is so much about timing and intonation, and none of that comes through on the written page. And making comedy work when you're putting on a persona can be even harder - how can you remind people that you're winking from behind the character, or that maybe you're not entirely serious about it all? And yet, here's America Again, the second book from Stephen Colbert in character as his gleefully conservative, insanely rich, condescending persona from The Colbert Report, and I'll be damned if he doesn't pull it off for a second time. I absolutely loved I Am America (And So Can You), but America Again may be even better, given how it's focused itself on the current economic situation and offers advice on what America is doing well (just about everything) and the problems with it (mainly regular people). America Again is one of those books that I almost hated to read in public, because with all the time I spent giggling and cracking up, I'm sure I looked like a moron to people around me. But it's all but impossible not to laugh on just about every page of this, from the odd footnotes to the numerous "regular" voices in the book to the gloriously insane methods to help people with things like insurance forms and resume work. Trying to explain just about any of the jokes or commentary here is a losing battle in this small space; suffice to say this is a book that ends with a chapter in which Colbert has transcribed his increasingly drunken celebration that the book is done, complete with doodles of everything from his book to the Statue of Liberty, all with massive breasts attached. And that's not even the weirdest parts of the book. If you're a fan of Colbert and his show, America Again doesn't disappoint in the least. In fact, it may even be better than Colbert's first book - and that's really high praise coming from me.
on October 15, 2012
This book is hilarious, and as American as apple pie baked and flash frozen in China and shipped to America at a competitive price.
on October 8, 2012
Help! I can't put this book down! Somehow it got stuck to my hands (I am typing this with my nose).
on October 16, 2012
I was so excited to buy this book, I downloaded it to my Kindle the first day. I should've realized there was an issue when there was no pre-order available for Kindle before release. This is a mixed media book. There are 3D images that don't appear in 3D, but as two pages on your Kindle. There are footnotes and other small print that you CANNOT zoom in on. As much as I love the humor of Stephen Colbert, I am marking this down because it is not formatted correctly for Kindle users. Buy a hard copy if you can't wait.
33 comments| 83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 2, 2012
After a long, hard day of poaching Grizzlies in the ferocious Alaskan Klondike, it's great to sit down and read the TRUTH. I've been an American since conception, and I'm damn proud of it. Just ask my workers, they're El Salvadorian.

When I'm not watching the O'Reilly Factor or producing high tech weapons systems for Uncle Sam, I'm catching up with my blood brother Stephen Colbert. When he's not on TV, I find life to be a real bore. NASCAR season doesn't last all year you know. So to be able to carry the man's work with me on my trips to the Cayman Islands, it's great.

Admittedly, I never finished I AM AMERICA (AND SO CAN YOU!). My ex-wife brought it back to Russia when she decided the allowance wasn't enough. Took my golf clubs too...

Anyway, the 3D is great, except for one thing. Fearing that the images popping out at me would cause harm, I broke my knuckles punching the page back. You live and you learn.

The LAMEstream (get it, LAME instead of MAIN) media will probably tear this book apart. What we should do is burn every book that isn't AMERICA AGAIN. People won't compare us to Nazis when every ash mentioning that crap is sitting in a landfill.

So if you love America, and speak fluent enough English to read this, do your part. The fate of capitalism depends on you. BUY THE BOOK.
99 comments| 142 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 13, 2012
I know I did. A great value when cost versus laughs ratio is factored in. Frightening news analysis contextualized into base comedy and satire--this is Colbert's (and his writing team) strength, and he sticks to a proven formula here. If you like the show you will like the book. Enjoy.
on June 7, 2014
As a VERY loyal Amazon customer, I am saddened and a bit insulted that Amazon is in this childish battle with Hachette publishing. As a Prime member, I believe you are breaking our trust when I cannot get a book in two days, when I KNOW that it is available EVERYWHERE else, Quite frankly this is beneath your business model. As one of the biggest Amazon fans that I know I ask that you please reconsider and again become an equal opportunity publisher.
55 comments| 26 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2012
All things awesome. If you love Colbert and can laugh at yourself and politics today -You will love this book. If you have no sense of humor or are easily offended you better stay away.
on June 10, 2014
I'm a huge fan of Colbert, and Jon Stewart as well... but for some reason just couldn't get into this book. I only laughed two times, and I came to realize that what's missing, is the man himself. Without the voice, mannerisms, and overly dramatic facial expressions... this witty prose just didn't impact me in the same way the show does. Fortunately, I bought the books used. Where Jon Stewart's "America" was somewhat educational, while being sarcastic... I found Colbert's books to be missing an important ingredient, HIM. It was like reading a script for Seinfeld, without the benefit of the actor's portrayal of the characters.