Top positive review
You'll never be famous, but you can choose to be "famous to the family"
November 13, 2018
You'll never be famous, but you can choose to be "famous to the family." In other words, you can make a decision to choose a tribe who will care about the story you have to tell, and you can connect that tribe and serve that tribe.
In Seth's words: "If you're a business consultant, a designer, or an inventor, being famous to the right three thousand people is plenty."
If you are new to Seth Godin, his latest book is a great encapsulation of many of his major themes:
- The job of marketers is to change people through stories
- Go for the smallest viable market (as opposed to the minimum viable product)
- "When you know what you stand for, you don't need to compete."
- "People like us do things like this."
- Treat different people differently
- Price is a story you are telling
- "Trust is as scarce as attention."
- Earn the permission to send regular, expected communications to your customers
- "Who would miss you if you didn't show up?"
- Organize and lead your tribe
- "If people care, you've got a brand."
Don't expect a technical guide to the latest SEO techniques. This is a book of philosophical riffs to ponder and reflect on.
I've been reading Seth's blog every day for ~15 years and his insights have helped me build a thriving, global business that gives me the chance to do meaningful work that I love. If you haven't been following Seth, now is a great time to start. Do buy this book, and Google "Seth's Blog" to continue receiving a daily dose of generous insight.