Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Shop Now STEMClubToys17_gno

Format: Hardcover|Change

Showing 1-10 of 370 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 591 reviews
on October 23, 2013
This is my all time favorite children's book. Long before the animated movies came out, I used to tout the virtues of this book. In college, when my friends with education majors had to read and review 50 children's books, I'd tell them all to be sure to include this one. Now, every 1st birthday of any niece, nephew, or friend's kid, I buy them this book and write a little something on the inside cover. While 1 year old is a little young, we just kind of tell the story while looking at the pictures rather than read every word. It is my 1 year old nephew's favorite book and my 4 year old niece always remembers I gave her the book each time her parents read it to her. I'm very happy that they turned this into a board book. It is much more durable now for little ones to hold the book themselves. I cannot recommend this book more highly.
on April 23, 2017
This book is a classic! I used this as a creative part of a weather unit in Kindergarten and my students wrote (drew) their forecast for the town of Chew and Swallow. A great story about what would happen if it rained food!
on August 20, 2015
So happy that this book is still being printed! :)

This was my absolute favorite book as a child. The story line is unique & original does not "talk down" to a child's level and so very enjoyable to be read by adults also. However, It's the illustrations that truly make this book a true treasure. Each page is filled edge to edge with the most detailed illustrations in an artistic crosshatch style. You can tell true passion was given to this book when it was written back in the 1970's! :)

((If you've seen the movie by the same title but have not read the book, please give this book a chance!! The creators of the movie took some creative liberties and went off in a completely different direction. In my opinion, the movie was off-putting because of my love for the original storyline & illustrations.))
on July 17, 2017
I would this as a gift for a family friend (an adult) who was so happy with it! Great quality, funny book, and would order again if I ever needed! This is a children's book but I would recommend it for adults as well. There are lots of beautiful and interesting pictures to go along with the story!
on August 30, 2017
We've seen the movie, just read this book to my son for the first time- he really enjoyed it. The illustrations are lovely and very fun. We look forward to many bedtime stories of this book
on September 20, 2017
This book is a wonderful way to engage a child's imagination with literature and the child. The story within the story is so outlandish, and yet relative to a young reader, that my 4 year old son kept saying "Keep reading! Keep reading!" (a sure sign they're into the storyline). What might be special to parents, caregivers and teachers is that book is told from a grandfather's storytelling.
From the first time we read this at home, to one year later, we love this book!
on March 4, 2014
First of all, I was amazed by Judy Barrett's imagination. I read that the Israelites ate manna in the desert for 40 years, but left over manna melted at the end of the day. The author describes a small town with only 300 people, plus dogs and cats, that has no snow or rain. Instead, juice or mashed poetess fall from the sky! What if hamburgers, soup, cheese and so on really did come from the sky three times a day? This is a super unique idea. People could just bring plates or cups and receive food or soup from the sky. But the sanitation department would have a lot of work to do. But is this really a good way to get food? I couldn't stop laughing at Ron Barrett's illustrations. Thank you Judi and Ron Barrett. This book has sold one million copies. I understand why. I am going to buy this book for Christmas gifts this winter.
on May 11, 2016
I am very unhappy with the format of this ebook. The pages are small and do not fill the screen. Sometimes there are two pages on the screen and it is extremely difficult to to understand the illustrations, which are very detailed. They are just too small and they cannot be enlarged. It is difficult for my granddaughter to follow the story in the pictures while I read the story to her.
on March 27, 2017
Love love love these books. My mom read the first one to me as a child, I had no idea there were sequels!!!! Was so very excited to get all three so I can have them to read with my daughter. The family tradition continues!
on August 4, 2017
REALLY DARLING HILARIOUS BOOK I JUST LOVE IT. WISH I COULD HAVE SEEN THE MOIVIE. I LOVE THE BOOK. GREAT.