Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 302 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 359 reviews
on July 8, 2017
Good inspiration for me, and those interested in a vegan diet to prevent inflammation, improve performance, etc. As a 69 y/o runner, I have learned the practical benefits of a plant-based, low inflammation diet. I still log in 25 miles a week in Phoenix AZ (even with the heat) and the anti-inflammatory diet makes a difference. It got my lupus into remit.
on July 6, 2017
I am a triathlete myself and this book changed my nutrition plan and my recovery time. I feel so much better and not so tired after every sessions. Only thing is that I don't cook (very little) so it behooves me to find vegan bars etc...in my store. VEGA is my favorite powder so far.
on January 30, 2013
This book has such depth of information, rarely have any books blown my socks off and Thrive just happens to do that! I love what he states in his book.

BB shows two charts about stress and how there are uncomplimentary, complimentary and production stresses and the common sources of uncomplimentary stresses are nutritional, psychological and environmental (page 21).

On page 31 BB states this:

"If stimulation is used when it will not help you achieve something of value, it is an uncomplimentary stress. I consider coffee an uncomplimentary stress. I view it as a form of credit, similar to shopping with a credit card. You get your energy now that you don't actually have, but you pay for it later - when the "bill," or fatigue hits. (Simply drinking more coffee to put off the inevitable is like paying off one credit card with another: It will catch up with you sooner or later.) You'll most likely pay a high interest as well, needing more time to recover than if that energy had not been borrowed in the first place. This is the beginning of a vicious circle. In the next chapter I provide strategies to recalibrate the body, and in doing so, get maximum energy from eating natural food."

Run and get this book, you won't regret it. There is only one dessert but as BB says in his book, you won't get sugar cravings as much and his one dessert is so healthy you can eat it as a snack rather than a treat...Coconut Cream Pie...YUM!
on February 3, 2015
I love this book. The recipes are great (although their earthiness probably will not suit everyone). Love the pizzas and the burgers. The recipes are extremely caloric and high in fat, so you need to watch it a little if you are eating this type of food alongside standard american diet type food. If you eat Thrive type foods, your appetite will subside quite a bit, so although the foods are calorically dense, you will not be as hungry. But, if you're eating "regular" food too, you really do have to pay attention to portions.
I'm an athlete (runner) and I've never felt better, had lower body fat, and had better endurance than while following Thrive.
on August 12, 2014
I love this book. It's easy to understand, and since I've begun implementing the Thrive diet into my own, I've noticed huge differences. I've been vegan for almost 11 yrs, but have never paid too much attention to nutrition per se. Using strategies and foods from this book has helped me cut my recovery time between runs in half. It was almost miraculous that I had a long run, stuck with Brazier's recommended recovery nutrition, and had zero soreness or stiffness from a run that usually would have me icing my hips on the couch all afternoon. I highly recommend this for anyone, regardless of current diet, lifestyle, or fitness level. Brazier presents the information without judgment, and suggests phasing in changes slowly, one step at a time. I don't feel guilty if I fall off the wagon. The tone is very informative but also encouraging and inspiring. I will keep this book by my side for months until I am finally comfortable fully immersed in my new, healthier lifestyle!
on March 12, 2010
Brendan Brazier has found a brilliant way to incorporate science, sports and culinary arts into a magical masterpiece that is both practical and compelling. Through his years of experience and study, Brendan has truly achieved what few have been able to by presenting an authoritative reference for the athlete or active person. He utilizes a holistic approach by incorporating definitions of stress, fitness, environment and nutrition. The facts are thoroughly researched; the recipes are delicious and nutritionally dense; and the inspiration is undeniable. Anyone venturing into fitness or already at a professional level must include this book into their training. As a Personal Trainer for 14 years and a Registered Dietitian, I recommend this book as the gold-standard guide to sports nutrition and optimal health.
on July 6, 2011
In 2004, when I was promoting my second book The Raw Secrets, I met Brendan, as he was starting is career promoting the benefits of the vegan diet for athletes. At the time he was already a very strong athlete and I had no idea that his various businesses would become so popular.

Thrive is an absolutely useful guide on improving physical performance with a carefully designed vegan diet.

What I love about the book is that it goes way beyond typical vegan information that you're likely to encounter in other books, like those by McDougall, Fuhrman, Barnard and other vegan others, as those are written for an audience with health and weight problems.

Thrive is really about an optimal diet for optimal performance, but it contains more than simple nutritional information. Brendan has lots of tips and tricks I would never have even thought of, on how to gain a competitive edge while staying healthy.

The recipes in the book are unusual, but not in a bad way. If you are tired of rice and beans, minestrone soup, bean dishes and oatmeal with bananas, you'll love the recipes in this book that emphasize "Superfoods," without recommending a ton of useless supplements.

Don't pay attention to the few people who gave this book bad review, especially the blasé reviewer who claims that he doesn't learn anything new from diet books. I'm certain that even if you've read a lot of books on the vegan diet, you'll find something interesting and immediately usable in Thrive.
on April 26, 2017
I found this book so useful in creating a structure for my health goals! I am already vegan and I train but this book really gave me nice guidelines and things to be aware of when choosing my meals before and after my workouts. I would highly recommend!
on July 20, 2009
Brendan's books are a must-read for everyone who wants to thrive versus just survive. You do not have to become a radical vegan to enjoy the nutritional guidelines in Thrive Fitness. Anyone can benefit tremendously from implementing the pre-, during, and post-workout recipes.

I am training for a triathlon, and simply cannot believe how much more quickly my body recovers from strenuous exercise now that I am following Brendan's recommendations for what to eat before I work out, while I'm doing it, and after the fact.

A bit of advice to all you animal product consumers: Even you will LOVE the sport drinks, puddings, and smoothies. Try them -- your body will thank you!
on July 23, 2013
This is a great overview and detailed guide for ramping your healthy eating habits and shifting to a fresh, whole food diet. I appreciated the fact that Brendan is an endurance athlete and as such what he eats matters and sows up in his performance - sort of tested that way so gave credibility in my view.

He delves into some environmental essays that are interesting but not really a part of the main point about health, nonetheless it's easy to breeze through that if that isn't your thing,

Beyond just describing why his eating practice is good for you the book includes all the resources, recipes and preparation to implement the diet he describes. So more than education you can get up from the chair and Lau ch into it!