Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 15 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 22 reviews
on September 29, 2009
If you're looking for a source where you can practice many example reads, this book isn't for you - Elaine Clark's book is even though some of examples are rather dated. But if you're looking for a breakdown of (dare I say) insider procedure and industry protocol, the Thomas/Rofe work is invaluable. What ways (and how many times) to contact an agent if you're demo hasn't been acted upon? They'll tell you. Ways not to antagonize your fellow artist when doing multiples? They'll tell you. Instruction on what to do/not to do at auditions and (hopefully) subsequent bookings? They'll tell you that too.

Different books are published for different purposes. It's not the first book I'd buy but it's in my 'ready reference' briefcase. This is the one that proverbially-speaking guides me as what time to wake up and be ready for school, what to wear, and how to act when the teacher calls on me!
on June 15, 2012
One of the authors is someone I've known through the business and she has written a very interesting and informative book covering many genres of voice over with special focus on promo work since that's her area of emphasis. I enjoyed learning about her path and just having parts of the business discussed in a very easy to understand way. the companion cd is also very helpful and as a voice over and coach, I recommend this book to students getting into the business today.
on August 25, 2009
I thought this was an interesting and informative read. I say it was well rounded because it cover many aspects of voice-over and included input from other experts. I liked the CD that came with it. If you are beginning voice talent, this book is especially good. If you are a seasoned professional, tidbits in the book are always a good thing to add to your knowledge base.
on February 1, 2013
An honest appraisal of what it takes to get started in this business, telling both the good and bad sides. Having been a radio personality for over thrity years and working for one of Randy's clients, I knew the book would be insightful, but it suprassed my expectations. It demystified a number of things for me and put things together in a way that finally made sense. Giving it a second read just to make sure I don't miss anything!
on April 26, 2012
Randy Thomas has written a personable and exacting view of the voiceover industry. Voice For Hire is a great read. It engages you. You want to do every exercise the moment Randy mentions them. It is extremely useful for newcomers to voiceover and will add to the information that seasoned talent already have. I love the cover. It's a great design!
on September 13, 2012
This book may not be the perfect tool to become a voice-over artist, but it's definitely one of the best guides to help you attempt to become what you truly want to have fun on. I totally recommend this book as it may help you on your journey to be a voice-over artist. If you get this book, it is best to reread it a couple of times, but its totally worth your time. 8.5/10. :)
on November 18, 2010
Working through Voice for Hire has demystified the voice over business and enabled me to have the confidence to approach my first voice coach. Great job!
on December 2, 2015
Written in 2008, it's a little dated now, but it still contains lots of great information to help you decide if voice over is a road you want to travel down.
on April 6, 2013
I thougth this book presented alot of information and practical tips in the VO industry. Found it helpful in the insite into the workings on the industry.
on September 6, 2012
Delivers what is promised. Being new to the industry, this book gives you a great foundation for making it in the VO world.