Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Engineer-In-Training Reference Manual
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

on April 3, 2001
This refresher provides a thorough and well-paced overview of everything learned in mechanical engineering undergrad courses. Beyond that, however, it presents other disciplines (esp. chemistry and electricity) in a much more condensed and easily understood format than anything in school.
The book is organized using the same subject outline as the NCEE reference book (the only reference allowed during the NCEE FE exam), greatly simplifying recall and retrieval. The practice problems closely mirror the exam, and most importantly (in contrast to multiple textbooks you might use), the nomenclature, variables, and definitions are the same. Use this book and you will NOT be surprised or unprepared when you take the FE!
on November 14, 2003
This book is extremely useful, as the FE exam is based on rapid recall of fundimentals, not in depth knowledge or detailed problem solving. It is very well rounded and is designed to help you brush up on areas where you are weak. As a Chem E. it was necessary to learn the basics of circuit design, statics, etc. and this is the book to do it. The book is laid out in simialr order to the NCEES reference manual, so no surprises on exam day. Remeber, you only have to PASS, you don't need to ace the exam, so the book's few weaknesses won't hinder you from passing.
on May 7, 2000
This book is the best book for FE candidate, I ever read and provides a general review of undergraduate math and engineering for graduate engineers preparing to take the FE examination or seeking to refresh and update their skills.
on April 2, 2004
I consider this manual a very good source of help not only for the FE/EIT exam, but also for future engineering related tasks. I would definitely recommend this manual to anyone interested in the field of math and science.
on August 18, 2013
I've been out of school since 1981, chemE/env engr. I'm using this, the Solutions Manual (see my diatribe on that!), and the NCEES-reference manual to prepare for the EIT. This book can be cryptic if you aren't familiar with a subject; but that's where the internet comes in real handy. I figure the best way to prepare is re-learn (unfortunately) then practice, practice, practice. I'll probably be getting the practice exams.....once I am sure they aren't already included in the books I have already purchased. [They aren't included. I also bought my subject-specific manual envE.]

8/2014 update....I know this late but my method worked and I passed first time! For me, out of school 30 years, 3 months of nearly daily studying first then doing the practice exams...... definitely get them. Hint: Don't get discouraged, when I did the exam I thought for sure I had failed. I skimmed and did the "easy" ones I could do with minimal calculation first; went back and did the next level ones; ran out of time and chose one letter to mark all my blanks (recommendation I saw somewhere). Now I've got a nice piece of paper.
on October 15, 2006
I bought this in 1992 for the State of Washington EIT test at the price of $43. How the hell is this now $134 and it's the same damn edition, not to mention the print quality doesn't merit such a hefty pricetag? [read: it was recycled paper with crappy fonts]

I lost my copy and many books in a storage flood. Hindsight is 20/20 and my careless nature due to a freak flood at WSU one winter is going to force me to fork out a lot more money than this damn text deserves.

Only problem is that Lindeburg has a virtual monopoly on this type of examination.
on February 15, 2010
Ever wondered what your college life would look like in book form? Look no further, the Engineer-In-Training Reference Manual is your scrapbook; very enlightening.

The book is very much a summary of your college engineering classes; all four years, with all the engineering electives you didn't take. Everything reviewed is concise, to the point, and straight forward. There's no creative thinking here. The book is modelled after the weed-out classes of your early college years. It packs information with the expectation of the reader memorizing what's given. If you remember the golden age of the Internet, this book is the "down and dirty guide" to everything you learned. No flowing literary prose anywhere. This is what you wished your college textbook would be like, but wasn't. This of course means you won't find special case examples or anything overly complicated to the topic. Once the foundational basics/ideas/theorems/equations for an area is covered a new chapter will begin.

Because of the brevity, you must buy the solution manual for the book. Without the solution manual, you will have all this information without any way to memorize it. Without the solutions you will not know whether you actually understood the review.

This thing is a monster of information. Even if you don't take (or don't entertain the idea of) the EIT, this book should be in every engineer's library.
on December 10, 2012
I would not recommend this book to anyone. The information is 10 years old, the exam has changed quite a bit. I took the FE exam this semester and passed, but definitely not because of this book. I tried to study with it for about 4 hours and decided I was wasting my time. Yes it includes a lot of material, but I didn't really think the solutions adequately explained the problems. Also, the exam itself was way closer to the NCEES FE Exam practice problems than the problems in this book. They change the exam on a yearly basis, so a 10 year old book is not very relevant. If you're looking for a book to freshen up your technical knowledge before an interview, I would expect there are better books out there. The only upside to this book is that if you used, you should be able to pick up the book and the solution manual for under $50. For those preparing for the FE Exam, good luck! All in all, it really isn't too hard, just long.
on July 13, 2004
I had passes NY state exam using that book.very good book to read and for passing the EIT AM easily. cover alot on all topics. Read it throughly twice.its going to help you alot.
on October 31, 2013
This book provides a very detailed overview of all the engineering topics. It provides very good information, but presents it in a very inefficient manner. I understand that its a "review" book, but several key items are neglected when discussing some of the broader topics. In some cases, too much information is given on a topic which makes it difficult to understand whats applicable to the actual exam. The sample problems are not consistent with the exam questions and are actually more difficult than the exam. I think they're good for general understanding, but do not spend time going through every problem.

This is by no means a bad resource, but I think there are better options available.