Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Grocery Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services henriettalacks henriettalacks henriettalacks  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 287 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 319 reviews
on December 10, 2012
This book is perfect for anyone who wants to throw a Dr. Who themed party (or a sci-fi party with a Whovian subtheme). The recipes range from appetizers to entrees to cocktails, so you can put together a full menu just using this book. The recipes are not just regular recipes with a Dr. Who name slapped on, and nor are they weird concoctions that no one one would actually eat after the pictures are taken. This is a legitimate collection of Dr. Who-themed dishes that will taste good and also look delightfully Whovian. The connection of each recipe to the individual episode makes it extra fun for the hardcore nerds. The pictures of the food are great--especially the crack in the wall! I can't wait to recreate them for my Dr. Who 50th anniversary party! (yes I'm planning this far in advance shut up).
on December 4, 2012
So this is an episode-by-episode series of recipes tied to the reinstated series which began in 2005. Now, I'm a Who fan, but I'm nothing compared to Chris-Rachael Oseland! She has an encyclopaedic (bordering on obsessive) knowledge of these programs; but, she also is a very creative culinary crafts-person. Some of the recipes are in the "funny decorated snack" vein; for example a banana which is carved and tarted up to look like a Dalek. Others are what I would consider to be "real" recipes, like the "Satellite 5 Mystery Takeout Noodles," which I would I wouldn't mind trying out right now.

Each recipe has a name, the episode to which it is tied, a picture, the ingredients, and a long narrative which gives the instructions interspersed with clever and funny (or silly) discussion of the episode, how she came to decide on this recipe, and how best (or not) to present the finished product. The writing is brisk, breezy, and enjoyable. I found that I had to do some research for most of these to get the most out of her text. Hmm, now what's a Slitheen again, and why are beans on toast a good tie-in? Off to Google image -- oh right, I remember --flatulence.

If this were available in print, it would make a fine gift for that Who fan on your list. Actually, I think that the official Dr Who people should license her recipes and text, and produce a version which has official images in it.

Good job on this.
on September 12, 2013
First things first, I love Doctor Who and anything Doctor Who related I will probably jump on no matter the case. When I saw this book on Amazon I immediately had to have it.

As soon as you start reading it, the onslaught of grammatical errors can be incredibly overwhelming and just by looking at it I had this sinking suspicion that the book might have been self published. Maybe I should have really observed the title "Unauthorized Whovian Cookbook". But, that aside, I have to commend Ms. Oseland. She did put a lot of time into creating this book. You can definitely tell she studied almost every episode of Doctor Who and while I'm a fan, some of the things in this book even I don't remember. The pictures of the finished products are grainy and dark and a lot of the recipes end up saying, "Use your imagination and use this instead of that." which I could clearly do on my own if I wanted to. I am, however, excited to try the nifty cocktail recipes.

I find this more like an arts and crafts book more than a cookbook to be honest. Things like, "Find a really straight banana to make a Dalek." doesn't count as a recipe in my book.

That all being said, it's not a complete waste of my money. It's adorable, cheeky, and a bit entertaining if you're willing to devote your creative juices to creating mini villainous Doctor Who characters. If you're going to buy it, buy the Kindle version. Sadly, the print book isn't anything special.
on December 26, 2014
Oh my gosh this is such an awesome book! I got this for my husband who is a major whovian. so much so that there is very little in way of dr who items that he does not already have. so when I saw this I grabbed it, just jumped right on it and I am so glad I did. Looks just like the picture shown, feels decent weight material that will not fall apart (I HOPE) also It has a bunch of great looking recipes. I have not sat down with him reading it through in detail yet to make sure it is not all a bunch of disgusting stuff or even worse it is not a regular cookbook that has regular recipes with the titles of each dish just changed into something Dr Who sounding.

If we notice either of those two things or the book falls apart or the dishes all taste like garbage I will surely return immediately after noticing anything like that and will update/amend my review and take away stars. Till then FULL STARS great job.
on March 31, 2017
I bought this for my daughter for Christmas and we were very impressed by it. She loves it!
on January 31, 2013
I love the fact that the author went through every episode of the new series of Doctors and took the effort to make a special recipe for each one. The thoughtful and comical writing is refreshing in a cookbook. I have tried a few recipes and they are delicious. Looking forward to more.
on June 29, 2013
Youngest daughter and I both fans, we have been having a blast making these recipes!

I just wish I had found this cookbook before her birthday, oh well, there's always next year.
on March 13, 2013
The recipes can all easily be found elsewhere. What makes this book worth it are the little inside jokes and party ideas.
on March 1, 2014
My bf loved it. Thank you! Its been a While since I got him anything. We both love cooking and he is a fan od Dr. Who.
on December 6, 2012
You must be a Doctor Who fan. It's probably safe to assume you also enjoy cooking, although if you don't know how to that's okay too as this cookbook has recipes even Mickey the Idiot could understand. Each recipe is not only a well written recap of an episode (in chronological order), but also pretty damn tasty.

Who doesn't think Nutella and Daleks are a match made in intercosmic space? Are you on a liquid diet? That's fine! There's plenty of cocktail options. If you're a fan of the author's previous book on booze, "SteamDrunks: 101 Steampunk Cocktails and Mixed Drinks", you are fully aware that this geeky gal knows how to make a drink!

The Holidays(tm) are right around the corner, and even a baby eating Atheist like myself would appreciate finding such a gift wrapped up in my Kindle.