Lyft Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Month Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18_gno

Superflare: The Fortunate Ones
Format: Paperback|Change

on September 6, 2017
Superflare: The Fortunate Ones stands out from the horde of disaster novels focusing on impossible events. Unlike many novels, which focus on the devastation, this story is grounded with the cast as we go alongside them in the aftermath. The characters are incredibly lifelike and the book is a ride you don't want to put down once you pick it up.

The Carrington Event of 1859 that wreaked havoc with the telegraph system is mentioned within the novel. A modern day Carrington Event would cripple our way of life and in many ways our very survival. This book paints a picture of what could happen if we weren't prepared for such a disaster and what skills might be needed to be one of the fortunate ones.
on September 14, 2017
I started reading and couldn't put t down. Couldn't wait until the next night to read more. It left me wanting more....want to know if the cousin finds his parents. And what happens with the rest of the family? What other 'adventures" do they encounter? What happens with the Claggits? I hope there will be a sequel! And maybe a mini-series! Ooooh, that would be worth watching!! All in all, a VERY good read and kept my attention throughout! Good job , Lisa, on your first novel. Can't wait for more!!
on January 4, 2018
It's hard for me to find a book I can't put down! If it doesn't have me interested in the first chapter or two, it gets a marker and sits on the shelf, I just passed on 7 books that I never got back to.
Superflare: The Fortunate Ones is not one of those, this is one that kept me reading from the first page!
The way the characters are introduced, for me, was perfect and as each became more and more involved in the situation, I came to know them like neighbors. I even found myself wanting to smack one of them several times!
It's a novel about survival involving family, friends, and neighbors and what resources and knowledge they had to use. A family that was as prepared as they could be and how they survive hardships, and life threatening situations!

The author, Lisa Poche Calhoun, did her research on the subject matter, what would you or anyone do if an EMP wiped out all of the modern electrical grid, no lights, cell phones, dish like television reception, maybe even most radio signals, what Would you do??
This Is a must read, you never know, you might learn something from it while truly enjoying an excellent read!
I will be on the edge of my seat waiting for a sequel to this!

(get your chores done before you sit down to read this!)
on November 5, 2017
Heard how good it was from friends in the States, so ordered the first copy to hit Australian shores and Loved It!!! Hope the rest of Australia catches on....
Captivating, Realistic & Couldnt put it down!! The characters definitely made you want to take the journey with them... Found myself wanting to finish & start the next chapter to find out what happens next - I thank Lisa for getting me through my night shifts...
Hoping for a sequel & am lining up for the mini series... am already thinking who I would like to play 'Colt' & 'Abby'
Being your 1st novel Lisa - I can't wait for your next - I'm not a huge book worm but this was absolutely a page turner for me....
on February 2, 2018
Not only is this book written to keep your undivided attention with great characters you come to know like they are living next door, it uses fiction to make learning interesting. Ms. Calhoun teaches us in some great and detailed ways tactics of survival and being prepared in many kinds of emergencies and trials. From reusing bathwater, fortifying the land, heeding the sage advice of elders, and continually retaking stock of their situation they were prepared for a fight - with a love triangle, with thieving neighbors, and with a world that had taken away all the accommodations to which they and others had become accustomed. They were utilitarian in fixing water pumps, laying traps, milking cows, mending fences trying to stay alive so that this book is about survivors, sacrifice, soul searching, and sustenance for this Louisiana family as well as for the rest of us.
on September 19, 2017
What a GREAT story. Very well written and I love it that it's not full of curse words. The story is told in "present day" and in a way that everyone should relate to. The romantic interest adds to the detailed daily life of the survivors. I will recommend it to my friends and family and will definitely want to read her next book!
on September 20, 2017
Superflare: The Fortunate Ones is one of the best post-apocalyptic true to life possible events of the future. This book sucks you in and does not let you go. Wonderfully written and makes one think "is my family prepared"? This book is a must read and would love to see it turned into a movie. Left me hanging for more! I hope Lisa has one or more sequels planned or turn this into a series/mini series. Wonderfully done.
on October 10, 2017
A great entertaining novel about a family dealing with a very frightening situation! You have to try this one out! It's got adventure and enough romance to make it enjoyable for anyone!! A must read!
on December 16, 2017
The story is not one I would be drawn to but it maintained my interest. There are parts that I found redundant especially in the beginning of the book. I think it could be shorter.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 25, 2017
This is a well researched book. It's apparent that Mrs. Calhoun knows farms and horses. Unless she as an astrophysicist, she'd done an excellent job of researching her material about solar flares, EMPs (electromagnetic pulses) and their effects on electronics. The story line is mixed with both family life and romance. The plot is well thought out.

I highly recommend this book.