Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $10 on Fire 7. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on May 15, 2011
I just finished reading the entire 7 volume series and I'm not entirely sure if I like it or not. The Invisibles raises many fascinating issues and makes us question our beliefs and perceptions of reality. I like that part. I've spent a lifetime studying topics such as religion, mythology, and mysticism; everything from new age to gnosticism to kabbalah to buddhism to conspiracy theories, et al. This series definitely addresses my interests.

My only reservation is that the series got a little hard to follow towards the end. So many little subplots going on in the past, present, and future, in hyperdimensions, in alternate realities/universes, in dreams, in hallucinations; characters changing allegiances or turning out to be other than what they appeared to be; hidden agendas.

Yikes, I got confused and more unsettled than a boy scout lost on Brokeback Mountain. I didn't know what was real and what wasn't, anymore. And I suppose that was Morrison's intent all along. The bastard! If Grant Morrsion is as twisted as his story lines, he can swallow a nail and poop out a cork screw.

Like Neil Gaiman, his work demands several rereadings with new insights emerging each time. I'm probably going to buy that 364 page commentary by Patrick Meaney before the next time I wade thru this material. But wade I must, because I sense there's a lot of "meaningful stuff" that slipped by me the first time.
on November 3, 2014
Picked up both Book One & Book Two, both are very good quality. The size is a bit bigger than the comic format and the paper is great, the art and colors look wonderful. If you have not read the Invisibles, I highly recommend the series, I think it is Grant Morrison's best work to date. The plot is much too intricate to describe in detail here, suffice to say it is a psychedelically fueled time traveling psychically powered occult alien Cthulian conspiracy story with humor and action thrown in for good measure. If that sounds like your cup of tea, by all means check it out.
on May 30, 2012
I'm a huge grant Morrison fan and I think this is his best work. this volume is great but you really have to read the series as a whole to understand any of it, and maybe read it a couple times over to really understand it.(trust me, if you read it once you will want to read it again) If your looking for a series for your kid you may want to hold off on this until they are at least 14. it's pretty adult themed (sex drugs and violence) and I don't think a young kid would like it much anyway.

However if your looking for a graphic novel that makes you think about the world around you, sucks you in to it's reality and makes you question your reality this is the one for you. but like i said, to truly understand it start with volume one.

this series is the pinnacle of Grant Morrisons' psychedelic phase before he was big in DC so if you've been reading his more recent stuff don't expect super hero antics. It's not as disturbing as the Filth but it has it's moments so if you can't stomach a little violence and some hard hitting social commentary it's not for you. With that said I think this is a must have for any serious adult graphic novel fans collection.
on November 2, 2009
Once in a while you pick up and read a graphic novel series that absolutely changes your life. This is one of them. Along with other graphic novels like Watchmen, Sandman and V for Vendetta, this series of 7 graphic novels chronicles the adventures of a group (or cabal) of mystick modern-day sorcerers. It is a journey into modern-day occult practices, anarchy, time-travel, sado-masochism, deviant sexuality, transgenderism, anti-capitalism, anti-monotheism, ancient religions, alien abductions, magical-hermetic praxis, LSD and protoplasmic-alien horrors from the beyond. I promise you its unlike anything you've ever read before. I wont belabor this review other than pick it up at your local comic book shop and if you like it, invest in buying all the collected graphic novels. Word of warning: this is not for juveniles or children. This is very much an adult comic book.
on August 20, 2011
I have become a big fan of Grant Morrison over the last 2 years and have been catching up on a lot of his older work. I would consider Morrison to be in my top 2 favorite comic book writers (the other one is Alan Moore). The Invisibles is probably the most complex work I have read by Morrison. I am a big fan of the central story that revolves around Jack Frost. It reminds me A LOT of the original Matrix film. Since The Invisibles was released about 5 years before The Matrix, I can't help but think the Wachowski Brothers lifted some of the ideas from this book for their movie. And this book is full of ideas. It is great to read Grant Morrison books and see that his imagination is full of so many "out there" ideas. Trying to explain this story here would be almost impossible. But I will explain why I gave the book a 4 out of 5 instead of a 5 out of 5. It is simply because there are certain scenes that are put in this book that I don't know that I fully understand. Like the scene with the psychedelic god of John Lennon. What was up with this scene? I hope it is better explained in a later book because I found this part interesting but confusing. And that is how I felt about other parts in the book too...interesting but confusing. If you can handle that, this book is worth checking out.
on July 11, 2016
It's like if terrance mckenna wrote a 70s spy fiction. Very weird in a good way. The characters and villians are demented and occult, so if you're into that you should go mad on this gem.
on May 25, 2013
I actually chose this for a school project and was unsure after I first read it whether I liked it or not. After being away from it for a few days, I wanted more and could not stop thinking about the characters, etc. It definitely requires a somewhat deeper level of knowledge to understand the complexities of the stories, or at least the motivation to look something up if you don't understand the reference, but it's totally worth it.
on July 20, 2017
Good books. But need to spend a lot of time to review the book again again
on January 28, 2017
One of the better comics from DC.
It"s for anyone who thinks comics are more than superheroes. It is one great read
on December 28, 2010
The world Morrison created with The Invisibles is nothing short of life-changing. The religious, metaphysical and historical references are many. I only fully, if I'm there yet even now, appreciated the entire story on the third or fourth reading. Epic in scope, with a poetic ending that gave me chills. I cannot recommend this work more highly. I've read all the big graphic novels, Watchmen, Maus (Pulitzer winner), but nothing touched me like this story. Read it all.