Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services americangods americangods americangods  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 54 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 65 reviews
on July 25, 2014
DID NOT GET THE BOOK PICTURED! Be aware, the edition of this book in the photo is the 2009 edition and I received an earlier edition (white cover) that I was not overly-impressed with and, as others have said, it is pretty misleading for the authors to label this an "encyclopedia". At best, it is what I would call an Introduction to the top 100 chicken breeds with some husbandry information thrown in. Specifically lacking is up to date information on diseases / health care and very little information for anyone interested in exhibiting. The breed descriptions do give you some idea of the accepted standard of most breeds but the inconsistency with which the authors present these descriptions is annoying! In some cases you'll have a half page of detail and for another breed, you'll get two or more pages indicating to me that the authors have "favorites" that they are promoting or they simply don't know much about some breeds or, worst case, they just had sloppy editors. Decent reference if you can get it for one of these cheap $5-or-under deals otherwise, there are much better sources around.
on September 3, 2012
I love this book and it's become an all-time go-to for me! First, it comes with a dust jacket and I like that! With the popularity of e-readers, I'm happy to get a good, hard-bound physical book with a pretty dj! The pictures are good and clean and there's lots. Most pages have 3 or 4 small pics but there are some full-page photos. I found pictures of most breeds I'm interested in. I keep going back to it to look up a breed I don't know much about. There is info on large breed chickens and bantam breeds along with "layer, table, multipurpose, game fowl, ornamental and long-tailed breeds". The chapters are not that lengthy! I can't say that it's the most complete chicken encyclopedia I've read, there are bigger, thicker, more informational books on the market but since this book is not being reproduced anymore, I'm glad I bought it. The info is practical, the pictures are interesting. It's 330 pages, first copy-right is 2003 in the Netherlands. I think most people interested in chickens would find this book valuable enough to buy. If you're expecting detailed, concise histories and close-up photos, pass this book up. It's a skimmer but a tasteful one!
on December 10, 2015
This is one of the best books I've seen on chickens. It is full of beautiful photos and provides multiple variations for each breed. The reviewer who says its for Europeans is wrong as far as I'm concerned because most of the breeds owned here in America are represented. And it's as much of an encyclopedia if not more so than the Storey book, with which I am somewhat disappointed. Both are good but this one is much more impressive. No ducks tho.
VINE VOICEon August 23, 2007
I gave this 4 stars because I don't think calling it the Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens is accurate. It is very informative, but certainly not complete. It does cover the basics & does offer detail but not in depth. It's a hard cover book with full color glossy pages. The photos are very good & it is a very attractive book to have. It will not answer all you questions regarding chickens though. You will need to purchase another book for that. Storey's guide to Chickens is very good. But if you just want a little reading material & an attractive book to boot, then this is a book worth buying.
on May 26, 2012
I bought this book for a friend who raises chickens and shows a few at fairs every now and then. He mentioned that he needed to find a book or something that would give him some info on chickens, ie. care, different breeds of chickens etc., so I went to Amazon and found the Encyclopedia of Chickens. When the book arrived I breezed through it before giving it to Mike and although I'm not a chicken man, I was imperssed with what I saw. Lot of diffeerent kinds of chickens out there. Gave the book to Mike and a couple days latter he told me that he was quite impressed and that the book had already answered a number of questions he'd had. Mike is quite happy and gives the book two thumbs up! The pages are of a heavy stock and the pictures (the book is loaded with them) are high quality. If you need info on chickens, this book should be in your bookcase.
on August 25, 2016
This Chicken book is amazing. It does not have all US breeds but it has tons of European breeds which are popular in the US. For a hard back this is a steal as well. Easily competes with US paperbacks at a fraction of the price. Also regular chicken instructions for any breed. This is a great addition to the family library.
on June 21, 2008
This book provides detailed descriptions of the full range of chickens available in Europe. Photography is great, too. I really enjoyed it and have re-read it many times.

For American readers, I think Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds (a large scale paperback) may be more useful, since it covers only the APA breeds available in the United States. But for the chicken fanatic, this is still a very enjoyable read. The chicken care info at the beginning of the book is nice, and it is interesting to read a European perspective, too.

This is also a very sturdy, well-bound volume-- the sort of book that will last forever.
on October 17, 2010
I just got this book, based in large part on the glowing reviews here, and I'm fairly disappointed. It is geared more towards seemingly obscure European breeds, and spends way too much time on bantams, exotics, etc. A lot of good information, but confusingly organized and too much info on topics that don't interest me.

I have Storey's Illustrated Guide to Poultry Breeds as well, which I love (outstanding photography), but it too has an organizational scheme that I find annoying, and not enough on laying breeds and is not always clear on the pluses and minuses of each breed. Comparable information isn't always provided for each breed, it's hit and miss. But the outstanding photography makes up for a lot of that.
VINE VOICEon February 3, 2013
I bought this along with Storey's Guide to Poultry and while neither will replace the APA standards book, they are a great place to start. I bought this for my daughter and it is a great book for snippets of info for a lot of breeds. I feel like this book is a bit more complicated and not as geared towards an American audience, BUT has a lot of information regarding European breeds. Both books are good. I think this book had more chicken breeds for sure, but is a bit harder to navigate. I think it provides a bit more information than the other book. I'm glad I purchased both books. Great for any chicken lovers!
on June 18, 2011
To call this book a complete encyclopedia is absolutely overstated and misleading. the price is right, the information is good, but if you are hoping to find every breed of chicken you are simply not going to get even close with this book. I got two large assortments from mcmurray hatchery but no info on what pullet was what breed was included. I was hoping this book would help me to identify them. I am dissappointed. Someone even wrote a review saying they had pics of breeds from chick to chicken and that is simply not true. To bad. I still think this is a quality book with great pics and info but it falls short of being "complete."