Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Shop for your business Starting at $39.99 Beauty & Grooming Deals and savings in Woodworking Shop Popular Services _moa _moa _moa  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $89.99 Kindle Oasis Hacksaw GNO Tackle Any Terrain with Cycling on Amazon STEM

Showing 1-10 of 24 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 44 reviews
VINE VOICEon October 24, 2001
Okay, so they are made in Spain rather than Germany...so what? These knives are a great starter set for anyone looking to "upgrade" from the dull knives they got as a hand-me-down or when they went off to college.
Chefs say that a safe knife is a sharp knife, and you just can't get that with inferior knives. This line by Henckels probably gets overlooked because you don't find it on the shelves of Williams-Sonoma, but they are just as good. Cutting is also faster with a well-balanced knife with some weight behind it, which this set has as well. I've added kitchen shears since I bought mine, and I'll probably add the utility knife, carving set and cleaver before I'm done. The knives you start with though are all you need. I find myself using just about all of them (except the boning knife) almost every day.
Two caveats though...don't put them in the dishwasher and don't forget to use the steel either before or after you use your knives. My sister put her knives (not Henckels, but of similiar quality) in the dishwasher on a consistant basis and the edges got nicked from all the banging around that goes on. Also, using the steel will keep you from having to have the knives professionally sharpened.
on February 12, 2013
These are great knives. I just purchased this specific set for a friend, but own a few Henckels International Classics. These are the best of the International line, which are their "lower end" knives which aren't manufactured in Germany. These are made in Spain, but with forged German steel, making them equivalent to their higher end line, Zwilling, or Wüsthof. After doing a ton of research, I'd say that these offer the best value, offering great quality at a reasonable price. They're perfect for a home chef. Japanese knives are very popular, but require more maintenance. Lower end knives (including the lower end Henckels) may not be forged and may not be made from German steel.

If you're just looking for a very nice set of high end knives for the home, this is your set.

I would like to mention that the block is different than the one pictured in the photos. There's an additional row. I called J.A. Henckels to ask them if their 7" bread knife (not included in this set) would fit in the extra slot in this block, but they had no idea (which was concerning). I ordered it with this set anyway, and it DOES fit, and there's an additional row of slots in the block, which the bread knife fits in as well. So, with this set, you'll end up with a total of three vacant slots for additional knives. I'd definitely recommend picking up their 7" bread knife to round out this set.
on November 11, 2015
Best knives I have ever owned -- so glad I finally have a set of good knives! After staying in friends' homes recently and using their good knives I kept thinking about my old hodge-podge inferior knives at home. I explored all the popular and high end knives online and read reviews. I didn't feel I needed the most expensive knives in the world, just something good quality and well designed. I was impressed with several reviews for this 7 piece J.A. Henckels. They are excellent knives and look great too. The wood block has extra knife slots should you wish to add a couple more to the set -- which I most likely will. Excellent knives in this price range and I am pleased they are made in Spain. I only wish I didn't wait so long to buy such useful kitchen tools.
on February 26, 2015
I have purchased three sets of these (for my brother, sister, and myself) and am about to buy the fourth for my parents as a gift. These are magical, amazing knives that cut through things like butter, don't dull, and look great on the counter. Everyone says this is probably the best gift they've been given and cannot use any other knives without getting frustrated. Nice starter kit, though only includes 4 knives, scissors, and sharpener. Decide if you want to buy the block or if there are specific knives you want to use and purchase separately. Also, be wary of which Henckels brand you are purchasing- the highest end are made in Germany, middle grade (these) in Spain, and the cheap version from China. Do NOT buy the cheap version. Best bang for your buck is the middle grade.
on February 2, 2015
A really fine set of knives if you know what you're doing. If you use the steel before every use and handle them properly, they keep an excellent edge.
I called them intermediate in that they're much better than a cheap, starter kitchen store type, but they're certainly short of what you'd get from Culinary Institute of America.
There are a couple extra slots in the block, I'm not entirely sure what for, if that's the only drawback, it's a good product.
on July 6, 2015
I read a ton of reviews on a lot of different products before deciding to purchase this set for my apartment, and I was not disappointed with my choice! J.A. Henckels certainly delivers with quality in the details, which makes for a superior product overall. I think the only company that makes better kitchen cutlery would be Cutco, but the price that they ask for is too high for me compared to the value.
on May 31, 2011
Great set of forged knives!

7 pieces include:

4-inch paring knife
5-inch serrated utility knife
7-inch hollow-edge santoku
8-inch chef's knife
9-inch sharpening steel
kitchen shears

This is a great set of intermediate knives. Waaaaaay above cheaper knives bought at the grocery store or Target, just below in fit and finish then the higher quality German made sets. This specific line "International Classic" is FORGED steel made in Spain. The block and shears are made in China. Henckels has a "cheapo" line called Eversharp that I think the shears come from.

A bunch of the reviews are indicating they received a different product or the set did not come with shears, these seem to be a previous set or problems with their particular seller. The model I received as of May 2011 is correctly described and pictured on Amazon, I also added a pic of the model I received.
review image
on December 26, 2015
I'm not sure what to make of this set. The knives look and feel good, but I haven't used them, as I'm not sure I'm going to keep them. The problem seems to be the block. The box photo shows one empty slot. In the questions/answers posted here, I saw someone say it has two empty slots. Mine has four. Plus the scissors don't nestle down into their slot nicely -- the slot's not wide enough to accommodate the blue button/screw. The four remaining slots are a little more than an inch wide. They accommodate my 4" mini-Santoku well, but are much too wide for a boning knife and too narrow if I wanted to add another large knife. And four empty slots just makes this look a little silly sitting on my counter. If you look into the slots, you can also see the block's made sloppily: pieces of wood aren't lining up. I feel like I got great knives in a cheap universal block. I may order again just to see what block I get this time.
review image review image review image
on September 7, 2012
I bought one of these knives earlier this year and enjoyed using so much I had to have more of them. This is a very good set of knives. I love the feel of them. They fit my hand and have enough weight that it makes using them easier, specially for someone that has arthritis in their hands, as I do.
on January 21, 2016
These are the Classic forged steel Henckels knives made in Germany. Not the ones you find at Kmart that are still nice but not this nice. I have had mine for 30 years and they are still as good as new. Bought these as a gift.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.

What do customers buy after viewing this item?

Best Selling • Lowest Price