BCA Month Beauty altText This Week in Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on January 22, 2003
This is a small, lightweight unit that has all the requisite features expected in an mp3 player. It does not, however have some of the niceties found in other players such as song title display, voice recording, rechargeable batteries, or song playlists. It also plays ONLY mp3 files, not any other formats.
The player comes with:
-Unit
-Wired remote
-Earbud headphones
-CD with Real Jukebox software for ripping/uploading songs
-Extra battery door
-Belt clip
-USB to mini USB cable
Here are the key points to know about this player:
-Functions: The unit itself has volume up/down buttons, stop (power off), play/pause (power on), ff/scan, rew/scan, and a handy hold switch to lock the player in either play/off to prevent accidental bumping of buttons. The headphone port also works as the remote control port (when using remote, headphones attach to remote itself), but can be used with just headphones. There are also 3 EQ settings, but these can only be accessed via the remote. There is no LCD display on the unit itself, only a green/red LED that indicates status.
-Sound quality: While I haven't listened to scores of players, the sound rates as good or better than the other players such as Rio's, Nomad's, and Sony's I've tried. Works with low (32kbps) and high (128 ) bitrate mp3's.
-Remote: The remote is a small cylinder (about size of roll of 35mm film) with a small LCD display that indicates song number (not name), time, volume, EQ, and battery status. The display is also backlit for a few seconds upon each button press. It has the same controls as the main unit, including another hold button(each are independent) and the EQ button. This is a handy feature for those who want the unit stashed away in a pocket and just the remote handy. It has a nice spring clip to attach it somewhere on your clothing or bag strap. The headphones attach to the remote itself, which explains why the included headphones have such a short cord (does not reach from my hip to my ears without remote!)
-Uploading software: Included is the RealJukebox software to burn mp3's (up to 128kbps), manage files, and upload mp3's to the player via USB cable. Personally, I like the Jukebox software, but it can be a pain unless you are meticulous about making sure the file info is accurate (genre, artist, title, etc). Another option is to go to the Samsung website and download the YEPP explorer which just lets you drag and drop. Also, the Yepp explorer is the only way to rearrange song order on your player. Jukebox will not let you do this. I use the Yepp explorer now. The upload times seem hideously long for a USB player. Not sure if this is inherent in the SmartCard flash memory architecture, but when compared to a compact flash card I use for my digital camera, it's like molasses. To upload 64MB of songs, takes about 8 minutes. Not much faster than a serial connection I used for an older Nomad player. If you like changing songs frequently, keep this in mind.
-Battery life: Decent, about 8-10 hours without the remote. About 6-8 with the remote, as it has a display and backlight.
-Poor design throughout: My main beef with this player is that there are some real shoddy design elements such as the battery latch and the belt clip. First off, the battery door design is so poor, they acknowledge it by including an extra battery door! Well, what happens if, as in my case, it's the latch on the unit itself that breaks? Here is the direct quote from Samsung customer support:
"Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Broken component are considered out of warranty conditions. I'm sorry our player did not perform to your expectations." That's it? I knew the latch was doomed, because it's so small and narrow and would fatigue over repeated battery replacements. So now I am sadly relegated to utilizing masking tape to keep the batteries in place because it's one of those designs where the battery door acts as the contact and counters the battery springs on the other end as opposed to a more sensible design that houses all contacts within the unit itself, with the door only acting as an access cover. This of course means every time I need to change batteries (since this has no rechargeable ones), I must break out the masking tape. ...! Then there's the belt clip, glorified strips of plastic that criss cross all over the unit, covering half the buttons. The last time I saw a clip like this, it was on my cousin's original Sony walkman from 1980! Functionally, it works, and you can still press the buttons through the plastic. I have run with it and worked out with it frequently, though the cheesy plastic holster makes me cringe in public. These poorly designed elements reflect the gap between Samsung's vision of quality with that of other brands like Sony. This unit was denied a proper QA review before heading to production, and just before shipping, someone said "hey how about a belt clip? oh and throw in an extra battery door".
In conclusion, while this player does everything it needs to, it does absolutely nothing more. Also beware of some shoddy design and a battery cover that will require masking tape within a year. If you can live with that, and you can find this unit cheap enough to justify these hassles, go for it. Otherwise, look elsewhere because Samsung's customer service will only tell you sorry it didn't live up to your expectations.
on July 27, 2001
It took me a while before I was able to jump into the MP3 universe. My problem was that I am a dedicated Mac user and the universe is a smaller place when it comes to MP3 players. After looking at all of the models currently available, I found the Samsung Yepp to be a near-perfect match. I say near-perfect because it does take a bit of effort to get things up and running (the manual is a disappointment)--but only a bit. First off, the CD shipped by Samsung with the Yepp does have Mac-compatible software that allows you to download MP3 files to your Yepp but it does not include software to convert audio files to MP3s. Problem solved, though: just go to the Apple web site and download iTunes--for free! ... Once you get used to the process, downloading files to your Yepp is relatively painless. Once there, the unit performs very well. Sound quality is excellent, controls are easy to access and work well and the remote is full-featured and accessible. The SmartMedia card slot also works with no problems. I have read other reviews here which say that you must have a Samsung proprietary SmartMedia card--not true! I purchased a Sandisk 64mb card, formatted it (a snap!) loaded it up from my Yepp and it worked perfectly first time out! You do need to be careful to purchase a SmartMedia card that operates on a 3.3v format--this info is clearly stated on the SmartMedia packaging. Some folks have complained about only being able to load about an hour of music on the internal flash memory. I can't say that bothers me too much. I've considered an MP3 player which actually has a 6gb hard drive but it is subject to skipping despite its antishock system. Also, they're bigger and heavier. You put the Yepp in your pocket or clip it to your belt or backpack strap and forget it's there. I've also read complaints about the controls being difficult to access and use--again, not true, for me at least. The remote's digital read out does not carry the name of the song playing and that is a bit of a disappointment, but considering all of the Yepp's advantages and its excellent functional and aesthetic design, that disappointment is merely a gnat on the windshield. This MP3 player is well worth the bucks. If you have any questions--especially Mac users--please feel free to send them my way .... I'll try to help.
on May 6, 2001
I've had my Yepp for a few months now, and I've found it to be wonderful, overall. It has good sound quality, it's small and light to the point you can have it in your pocket while jogging and not be annoyed by it, and it's got a sleek design. There are a few points where the Yepp could use some improvement, however. First, it's too dependant on the remote control: the shuffle and repeate functions, the battery life indicator, and the song indicator are all on the remote, the only display on the player itself is a green or red LED. That's not a problem if you plan to use the remote a lot, but for me it's just one more thing to carry. Second, it takes a lot of power to record files onto the player. If you plan on adding and removing songs often, plan to buy a lot of batteries. Additionally, be aware that you can't insert new songs between old songs in the memory card. Finally, the player doesn't have upgradeable firmware. There's a new file format that ought to be out this fall sometime that'll have files half the size of current MP3s, and this player won't be able to play them. Sure, you can get a converter if you want, but it'd be better to get an upgradeable player that'll be able to hold twice the music in a few months. Still, overall, it's a great player and I'm glad I bought mine. You could do far worse than the Yepp.
on May 11, 2001
Ignore the whole "Hip Hop" style thing, which is just a little bit of a gimmick. Really, this is an ultra-tiny, perfect working MP3 player. I listen to a lot of house and techno on it, usually with VBR encoding, and although I've run against the 64MB wall quite a bit, the addition of a smart media card in addition to the 64 MB on board is a huge help there. Rather than just limit you to one card at a time, you always have 64MB, and a card, available to you for storage.
The sound is clear at low and high volumes, with no distortion. The provided earbuds aren't terrible, but the device sounds great with better headphones. I listen to music with a LOT of bass, and response is always tight and powerful.
In addition, the dongle remote isn't covered here elsewhere, so I'll bring it up. It's a standard sit-in-between-the-headphone-and-the-machine remote, with all the buttons you'd ever want, and an LCD display to show track and time listings, and is the only way to actually modify the equilizer settings. Although I wish that the spring for the clip-on feature had a little more oomph, I love that I can just put the main unit on hold, stick it in my back pocket (where otherwise all the buttons would be pressed all the time) and still be able to change tracks and volume.
I think that my only gripe is with the software. I HATE RealJukebox, and won't use it. In fact, I had uninstalled it from my system in disgust previously. It's got too many horrid user interface "features" to really make me want to use it. But rather than just giving you a way to copy tracks to the yepp over windows explorer, you have to use RealJukebox. But as that seems like a pretty common way to interface with small solid-state MP3 players, I can't complain that much about that. But consider that THAT's my only complaint, I'd say I'm extremely satisfied with the Yepp.
If you're looking at a solid state device, I cannot recommend enough the Yepp.
on March 25, 2001
First of all, this product looks good and feels good. It fits snuggly on your belt, or does not take up much room in your pocket. The hardware buttons, while small, are manageable. That said, this product has several problems. First of all, the software that is included for managing the MP3 collection on the unit, RealJukebox, is below par. The software is ugly, is hard to use, and is slow. The connections between your computer and the unit are slow: figure on about 15-20 minutes to delete 15 mp3s and install 15 mp3s. I am also having trouble with the software mysteriously cancelling transfers and giving me cryptic error messages.
Beyond the faults of the third-party software, the manual included with the device is not very good either. It comes folded up into a little roll. The troubleshooting it gives you is useless; the solutions they suggest could be figured out by anyone with a brain. Attempting to find some useful customer support, I went to the company's website. ... Again, it was rather poor. When I finally found the Yepp's page, no support links were given.
Overall, the customer support and software for this unit are bad, but the player itself is excellent. The sound quality is very good, and the battery time is sufficient. With better peripherals, this unit could be a best seller.
on September 23, 2001
I've had a rio 600, and it was good at first until it broke. The Yepp is awesome. It has a ton of great features, and only a couple bad ones that arent a big deal, but you just wish it had them. The sound is awesome and is WAY loud, it looks cool(the 1st day I had it 6 people asked what it was), it's very durable, and the software that comes with it is really good.(It comes with an -mp3,rmx- extractor/"ripper"<---for all the posers). Whoever says to transfer songs, it takes about 2 hours is wrong(unless they are running 90mhz processors or something), because I filled up the whole 64mb and my 32mb smartmedia card(which the software detected without a problem) in about 10-15 minutes. One of my favorite things is that when you are playing the YEPP, a green light flashes and looks cool.(its red when the USB cable is hooked up)
The only reason I give the YEPP a 4 is for a couple reasons. 1) the buttons are pretty small(no big deal) 2) I'm left-handed and the remote is backwards when i look at it(no big deal) 3) The software is sort of a pain to get going(just read the instructions), but this is partially due to the fact that I run Windows 2000.
on April 27, 2001
I like this player much, but I have to say that getting my songs on it has been a real pain.
The unit is translucent blue, very pleasant at touch. The buttons are small and difficult to differentiate, except the play button. There is no LCD on the player itself, only a small one on the remote that displays the track, the time, the battery remaining and the options. Some buttons are present only on the remote control. The unit and the remote can be hold independantly (very good). A pair of AAA batteries is included in the package, but I found they didn't last long. The batteries that I bought appear to have a much longer life. The purchase of a battery charger with batteries seems a good option, even more when you know that there is no power connector.
Transfer with the PC is done through an USB connection. Depending on your computer, it can be painfully slow or rather reasonable (I have seen 400Kbps and 1.2Mbps). The Yepp needs to be powered by batteries during the transfer. In my case, it did not work out of the box. I had to phone Samsung support to be sent by e-mail the Windows 2000 driver (BTW, Macintosh is not supported). ..
Then, the transfer program (yepp Explorer) is not very ergonomic, if simple. The most painful is that after each operation (moving, deleting, copying each file) it takes an awful long time refetching the listing of files. The documentation is almost inexistant.
Mp3 files are renamed with .sm3 extension on the Yepp to be played. You can generate them with the included RealJukebox. I for myself use CDex with gogo engine, that is very fast. The problem is that I cannot retrieve the mp3 files from the Yepp, because this necessitates SecuMAX algorithm (included in RealJukebox). All mp3 files can be played, though. The player can hold other data too.
The player uses SmartMedia cards for memory extension. It will not accept cards that don't have an ID (printed on the card). Also, the cards need to be specially formatted for the Yepp, and so they cannot be used with other devices than the player.
The sound quality is very good. I never had to push the sound to the maximum, but I guess that some will find the volume too limited. There are four predefined modes: Classic, Jazz, Rock and Normal.
Overall, I like the player a lot, it is really cool. On the other hand I loathe the software that comes with it.
on March 28, 2002
I've had my Yepp for about a year now, and the headphone jack is just about worn out (you have to constantly manipulate the headphones to make it sound normal) and the battery case needs to be held on with a rubber band because an important piece of plastic snapped off. I don't know if this reflects on product quality or my treatment of it, but either way, it's no good.
Transfer times are painfully slow, and even worse when transferring to the Smart Media card (which you must buy separately, I paid about 100 bucks for mine). The Yepp comes with a version of RealJukebox you can't get anywhere else, and mine is constantly crashing and needing to be re-installed. Searching through tracks can be tedious, especially when you've got two hours of music to go through. On the upside, battery life isn't too bad, and the Yepp is very compact, lightweight and portable. But it's expensive, and for [a little more] more, you can get an MP3 player with a capacity in gigabytes, not megabytes.
on September 23, 2002
I used this player for approximately 30 hours. To get those 30 hours of music, it required at least 12-16 hours of maintenance, research on the web and re-adding files to the player.
Though, never mentioned in any documentation I found, the player's software is extrememly sensitive to the order in which you disconnect the player from your USB port and close the desktop software. This problem eventually locked the player into a mode I can not break it out of. When powered on, the red light never goes off and the player responds to nothing.
I've purchased a new Rio player and love it. I didn't have the patience to make any more of a time investment into a player with minimal funtionality and a limited storage capacity. Sorry, Samsung.
PS - I made the mistake of buying this from a retail store instead of Amazon, and they won't help me at all! Amazon is more reliable for purchase support and rectification of disgruntlement than any other large-scale vendor I've dealt with.
on May 10, 2001
this was the worst electronic gadget I've ever bought ! it's not as cool as it looks... first of all, the display. the screen is too small and only numeric (you aren't able to see the name of the song anymore) and it's located on the remote control wich is on the headphones cable ... this remote is too heayy and ugly by the way! software: mini-usb is cool but the songs are converted into a protected format wich make copying on drive from yepp impossible anymore ! so why does this option exist ? (it worked on the fist yepp) no more microphone to record some voice reminders, ... ... in fact the first YEPP (YP-E32) was a great buy. it wasn't as expensive as the new one and the options were great. I've heard they did a 64mb version of this model... 64 was the only positive point I've found for the new model so prefer the first yepp !!!
(I think samsung is laughing at me at the moment 'cause it's so incredible that a second model isn't better than a first... and so expensive for so little options)
DON'T BUY THIS YEPP (BUY THE FIRST ONE)
[at] samsung they say: "3-line LCD display" and they show a hiphop model !!! the 3 lines were on the fisrt yepp only YP-E32
sorry for my bad english ;)

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.