Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Cuisinart DCC-1000 Programmable Filter Brew 12-Cup Coffeemaker, White
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on May 15, 2002
I'm doing an update to my February review. After a whopping 90 days of making fairly good coffee our machine decided to take a trip to the coffeemaker graveyard this week.
That makes three Cuisinarts that have lasted a combined total of nearly a year. Not great for hundred dollar+ machines. So to the reviewer who said that since it was Cuisinart it must be good all I can say is good luck.
Oh yeah, after sending the second one back and being told that we'd have no warranty on this one since we'd gone through so many machines I don't suppose there'll be a Cuisinart anything in our home again any time soon.
22 comments| 61 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 10, 2002
On the plus side: stylish, easy to program, relatively fast brewing.

On the minus side: the valve on the "pause and serve" feature easily clogs with grounds, causing it to leak -- if you are making a full pot, you have to make the coffee weak (using fewer grounds) to avoid this problem. Also, you cannot pour a cup from a full carafe without spilling. Finally, the brew temperature is too low, and is not adjustable.

I'll be looking for a replacement as soon as my budget allows.
on April 6, 2003
I bought this coffeemaker after doing a fair amount of research. The price was right, the company respectable, the features sufficient. Turns out that the coffeemaking is only so-so ... the design is terrible and makes the white model always stained on top and needing to be wiped down behind the carafe where the coffee always drips down. If you buy one, and a strongly recommend that you spend your money elsewhere, definitely do not buy the white one. It is downright unsightly unless you clean it up all the time. I wrote Cuisinart an email to complain about this model after only owning it a few weeks and got back a pat, unresponsive letter with no desire to try and accommodate my dislike of it and provide perhaps an alternative model. All told, I would not buy another Cuisinart coffeemaker and would think twice about buying anything by this company after my contact with customer service.
on July 21, 2007
I bought this model in November 2006. It works fine but, compared to my old Krups, the carafe and machine lid need to be redesigned. The carafe's band collects water underneath it when washed in the dishwasher. When turned upright, the water flows into the carafe, so I have to wash it by hand to make sure there's no detergent in my next cup of coffee. (My old Krups had no band--just seamless, rimless glass.) And the machine's lid will allow condensation--often several tablespoons worth--to drip down the back of the machine and onto my counter. Coffee grinds splatter during brewing; I'm finding coffee grinds in every nook and cranny! I'm just glad I got the white model so the grinds are easy to spot and clean up. Finally, I don't like the fact that I can't wash more parts of the machine in the dishwasher. My Krups was spotless for the nine years I had it, and I used it at least several times a week. I guess I should've purchased another Krups!
on February 9, 2002
We got one of these coffee makers as a replacement for a Model DCC-270 after our second one of those failed. The 270 made great coffee when it worked. It even had a couple features not found on the new line. However it had a serious problem with water getting into the electronics. One would think a coffee machine should be able to handle a certain amount of moisture.
On this machine the electronics have been moved to the upper front of the machine rather than underneath. The programming is more intuitive. Rather than having a variable temperature setting this one just brews warmer than average coffee. Although I haven't experimented with it yet it also has a water filter option, something that was previosly unavailable. The timer for the hot plate is simpler to use than the older models and something that one gets attached to quickly. It also comes with a gold permanent filter which seems to work well.
My only complaint is that the carafes from the older line don't interchange with the 1000 series. Since these weren't sent in when returning the old ones for warranty I have a surplus. Anyone interested?
on September 7, 2007
I've never written a bad product review before, but I'm so annoyed with the performance of this coffee maker I have to issue a warning. IF you're someone who's as addicted to rich strong coffee as I am, you simply can't get it from this machine. I think what's happened to coffee makers in general is that they all seem to think a VERY fast and VERY hot brew is what people want. Wrong!! No matter how much coffee I pile into it, WAY more than I ever had to use with my good ol' cheap simple Braun, the coffee is ridiculously weak and much too hot for my taste. Every coffee lover in my family agrees, we literally keep dumping cups of coffee down the sink in disgust. I'm giving it away and looking for another immediately. Because I neeeeed good coffee asap...
on August 10, 2011
This Cuisinart Programmable Filter Brew makes a fine cup of coffee. It has a filter in case your water doesn't taste good, it makes 12 cups. It is easy to put in the coffee grounds, and to remove them. It is easy to pour. It is easy to program.

That said, there are some limitations to the design. Pouring the water into the maker is difficult, as the opening is small. So, you might try pouring the water in not from the coffee cup you are using to measure, but from a pitcher, using the water level guide on the side of the coffee maker. Trouble is, it fills some seconds after you pour the water, so you will over fill, with no way to get the water out, unless you are very, very patient. Also, the unit is tall, and lifting the lid (in order to access water and coffee fill area) adds another 6 inches, so you really can't use the unit under a shelf, unless it's very high. Another problem: when you lift the lid where coffee and water go in, the condensation that forms there spills down behind the coffee maker. A pain to wipe up every time.

We should all know by now that most brands make high quality as well as low quality products, at different price points. They almost have to design in some limitations in order to make people want to get the higher priced models. It just would be nice they let you know the limitations. For now, thanks for Amazon reviews, they are the best way to get the facts!
on December 28, 2007
I've enjoyed the coffee brewed in this coffeemaker. It is strong enough to taste rich and flavorful without being overpowering or bitter. I like the "ready" signal and the fact that I can control how long it keeps warm before shutting off. The temp is just right. It is easy to program and not so big that it takes up a lot of counter space.In addition, the cord is long enough to pull out from under the cabinet but not so long that it is in the way. I keep my appliances a long time so I hope to enjoy good coffee for many years.
on December 18, 2007
I love the programmable feature on the dc 1000 coffee maker! I can have coffee waiting for ma when I get up in the morning. Another feature I love is the cord storage in the rear, I can push in the cord to conceal it and make my counter space look neater. I also like midbrew pour feature, saving on messy drips and spills. I highly recommend this coffee maker, I have found it easy to use and it's a good value!
on August 20, 2012
We purchased this coffeemaker form Amazon four years ago, in 2008. We use the timer every day and it has worked flawlessly. It still makes great coffee and does so quickly. We have only changed the water filter once in the four years. It was clean then, but we had one. We use the metal cone coffee filters and they last about two years.
The only downside is that the white shows coffee stains. It isn't a big deal for us. It might be for others.

See 1 answered question