Top positive review
13 people found this helpful
Fabulous coffee is worth minor inconvenience.
on June 23, 2002
My husband & I decided to buy this coffee maker after doing a lot of research. We've had it for about two weeks now and it definitely makes the best coffee ever. Here's what we've found:
1. The coffee--perfectly brewed every time, really hot, and FAST. Six cups brew in about six minutes. We did a side-by-side brewing and taste test with our old filter-drip machine. The Bodum coffee was a lot hotter, had better body and flavor, and was done a lot faster.
2. Clean-up: A little more trouble than with our old drip coffee maker, but it's really not a big deal. We rinse the coffee grounds out of the top half into the sink with the pull-out sprayer, then run them down the disposal. We hand-wash the top and filter or, occasionally, run them through the dishwasher (the top fits fine in the bottom rack). We just rinse out the bottom half and let it air-dry.
3. Amount of ground coffee used: This coffee maker does use a little more coffee than our old one. The instructions say to use one scoop (2 tablespoons) of coffe per "cup," as marked on the carafe. One "cup" on this carafe is four ounces. We have found that this ratio works perfectly. With our old coffee maker, I used one scoop per six ounces for the best-tasting coffee. I suspect the difference is due to the coarser grind used in the Bodum than in filter-drip coffee makers.
4. Amount of coffee made: The minimum amount of coffee you can make is 4 "cups," or 16 ounces. This is not too much for me to drink by myself, but if you just want 8-12 ounces to get yourself out the door in the morning, it might be too much. The maximum is 12 "cups," or 48 ounces, a good amount for a dinner party. And the machine brews so quickly that you can easily make one pot for the decaf-drinkers and a second for those who prefer it leaded.
5. Other comments: *Really* fun to watch and listen to! Watch the instructional video--it's very helpful. We haven't experienced any of the problems with water heating that some other reviews mention.