Industrial Deals Best Books of the Year So Far Our favorite denim: shop women's jeans nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc AWOLNATION Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo All-new Show Mode Charging Dock Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

on April 24, 2003
I have owned this camera for 6 months and find its picture quality superb. The ability to preprogram for certain functions such as cloudy lighting, movie mode, and a third incandescent light ( you can program many other features easily yourself) all easily accessible through the turn of a dial, are wonderful to have. Accessing the macro function is also readily accessible. I mad 700 pictures in the Galapagos islands, and having 5 mega pixels to crop and enlarge to make great 8X10 pictures that are really wonderful. The movie function with sound is much better than my Nikon 880. the 8X zoom functioned well. Comparing my photos with those of my fellow travelers, I think the colors are more saturated and clearer.
Reading the instruction manual is important to use all the features of this camera. Battery life is shorter than I would like. Focusing when there is not much light and at times for close-ups is slow. Since I had read about this from others, I was prepared and accepted it. I have not tried manual focusing yet. Taking pictures of fast moving objects is possible, but difficult, as with most non-professional digital cameras. I enthusiastically recommend this camera.
15 people found this helpful
on December 8, 2002
The Coolpix 5700 is my 5th digital camera (3rd Nikon) - and no previous camera compares. The 8:1 zoom alone is worth the price of admission (it's what I'd been waiting for.)
Until this camera I had a firm rule of no camera without an optical viewfinder. I had seen too many digital camera users stuck in very bright or very low light, unable to use their cameras. I warily decided to make an exception based on the fact that in addition to other compelling features of this camera - e.g., 8:1 zoom, 5 megapixels - I got through-the lens-viewing, albeit electronic. Well, this electronic viewfinder is so good that in my opinion this camera really is an SLR. In fact, I don't know why they can't call it that. It does have viewing through the lens, whether there's a flip-up mirror or not. I would imagine terminology will eventually change to allow such cameras to be called "Electronic SLRs."
I disagree with other reviews I've read that talk about a steep learning curve. I found learning this camera rapid and intuitive. Especially if you've used any of the previous Coolpix models, you'll find everything just where you would expect it to be, but more refined and elegant than in previous models. It is very easy to navigate the menus and to set up. And of course in the default full-auto mode it works just like any point-and-shoot. There's no reason anyone can't pick up this camera and use it right out of the box.
A reason why I haven't bought any previous high-end digital SLR was a concern about size and weight. I had to have a camera I could carry around my neck for bicycle touring. Pictures I'd seen of the Coolpix 5700 made it look rather large and heavy. I was pleasantly surprised to find that it's virtually the same size and weight as my previous Coolpix 995 - like a compact 35mm camera. It also is the easiest to grip and manipulate of any camera I've owned - it seems to cling to your hand. I love the easy shutter release button. A complaint about previous Coolpix's was that for me pressing the overly stiff and "clicky" shutter release button would cause the camera to move. No so with the 5700.
I love the fact that there is a large, REAL lens cap, cleverly designed so that it simply moves out with the zoom if you forget to take the cap off before power-up. I also like the real hot flash shoe. This camera's a winner - the best of any I've had.
57 people found this helpful
on December 27, 2016
The controlling program is very slow even more if you use the fill-in flash. By the time it exposes the subject is gone. The pic quality is very good, though, but if it is turned off it resets to factory setting, so if you are waiting for the perfect moment to shoot, you have to reset to your specs. Especially if you want to shoot in existing light without flash. I still have to figure out how to overcome these obstacles.
on June 9, 2017
Great deal ,great camera so far and I had great service getting here quickly what could you ask for.
One person found this helpful
|11 comment|Report abuse
on January 12, 2003
This is my 3rd digital camera and the first that has a large enough resolution per photo to enlarge well past 4x6. The zoom action is wonderful. And yes, I like the small lightweight size ~ such a difference from my SLR.
I have found the menus and manual modes very easy to learn. I've just had the camera a couple weeks but I'm thrilled with it.
I do have a **QUESTION** for other Nikon Coolpix 5700 owners:
I bought a 256m Sandisk Compact Flashcard along with the camera, as recommended by one of your reviewers. However, the Nikon manual states a flashcard range from 16-128m. Before I open the packaging of the 256m I'd appreciate assurance that I am not limited to a 156m card, as I was with a previous digital camera.
2 people found this helpful
on July 3, 2008
I find the camera to be of excellent quality. It will serve my need for many years. The only problems: Installation disc is CDI...will not run on my computer. Had to select programs from Nikon to download and don't get all the functions I want. The memory card is old technology and the 10 megs they supply is a joke. I've ordered a 2 gig card so I can take more than 6 pictures at once.
on July 9, 2014
Still good condition but not recommended for older people because the viewing is too small!!! I can't really focus the object.
One person found this helpful
on August 20, 2010
I purchased this camera as a birthday present. Once I got it, I found out that I had to spend even more money in order to even get the thing on and working- I had to buy a battery, charger, memory card, and USB cord. I purchased and waited for the additional items only to find that the camera didn't work. After a little online research, I found that the red dot that came up instead of taking a picture was a common problem for this camera and costs between $150-$200 to fix. I contact the seller OVER A MONTH ago to arrange a refund and I am still waiting on a response. I use amazon a lot and this is my first bad experience.
2 people found this helpful
on May 3, 2010
this product is dificult to use because many of the features are placed in odd positions of the camera. trying to find a memory card is aslo difficult because the camera is a bit old and can not handle high memory.
|11 comment|Report abuse
on May 26, 2011
This camera does not work properly, it was a waste of money....I bought it for my daughters birthday, she has been ill for a long time and I wanted something she could sit in the garden with and take close up pictures....the camera only works when it wants to...she had a snail climbing in her viewfinder, the light was right, and the camera will not take the picture....so disappointed...I think I was sold a bogus camera...this is my first electronic purchase with Amazon...not happy