Industrial Deals Beauty Ghosted Shop women's shoes nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. STEM Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry modern furniture and decor Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Customer reviews

Bach: Complete Sonatas & Partitas for Violin Solo
Format: Audio CD|Change

Top Contributor: Guitarson September 8, 2016
Ms Podger gets it. Her rendition of the Bach solo violin music is just that - music. While she has the chops to perform this music, Bach takes first place. She has taught me a lot about the music that ended my career as a violinist (I never could play the music).
4 people found this helpful
on September 10, 2007
The first thing that struck me about her playing was the perfect authenticity of her Baroque style. But of course, playing today, having heard CPE, Mozart, Beethoven, Brahams, Webern and so on, it is not possible to attain geniune 'authenticity'.
Why then, does it sound so?

The second thing I noticed about Podger's playing was the most important: she seems to have imbibed the spirit of Baroque performance practice so well that it is now requires no conscious effort. Most have to 'think Baroque', put on their 'Baroque hat' etc - not so Podger. I reffer you to the difference between Jazz players and session players doing a jazz gig. The later is conciously trying to play in the jazz style with reference to everything they have learned about jazz, the former simply plays.

This answers my earlier question. The one aspect of Baroque authenticity missing from most period performance is this 'jazz factor'. The Musicians of old would not have thought twice about an ornament if they felt it while playing. It came as naturally as a turn of phrase comes to the good modern player. The Baroque style must be so well learned, understood and assimilated as to be no longer a conscious effort.

This is exactly the case for Podger and to a greater degree than any other period performer. Undoubtedly her best work is done in the major key, but otherwise a magnificent achievement.

A Million stars
5 people found this helpful
on January 30, 2017
This is a beautiful recording. The sound quality is excellent and Ms. Podger's tone is lovely. The musical ideas are expressive - sometimes dancing and sometimes thoughtful.
2 people found this helpful
on July 31, 2007
The Bach Partitias and Sonatas for Solo Violin are my favorite works of classical music, and I really think that you could play them on an accordion and they'd sound wonderful.

Therefore, I think that having multiple artistic interpretations of these pieces should be an essential part of any Bach or classical music lover's collection.

Unfortunately, until recently I've satisfied myself with just Grumiaux's interpretations, which I found to be near perfection.

Luckily though I broke out of this prejudice and purchased Hilary Hahn's playing of 3 of the pieces and now the Rachel Podger CDs.

Podger's playing is very elegant and refined, never flashy and showy-even though she plays the most difficult passages with an unmistakeable virtuosity.

Listening to them, I feel almost as though I'm in an 18th century drawing room, wearing a powdered wig and hearing the most sublime music. She brings the best of tradition and modern techniques to the playing of these pieces, and the result is a top-shelf classical music CD.
5 people found this helpful
on May 3, 2015
Listening to Bach's solo violin Works on a period instrument is essential to completely understand them, and even in case one is having them performed on a modern instrument (i.e., Menuhin, Szeryng, Grumiaux' recordings) purchasing a period instrument performance is warmly recommended: more clarity in the sound of gut strings and in counterpointal lines therefore means an even better appreciation of these Masterworks. Rachel Podger brings out this effort very well, with precise intonation and a refined sound that will surely satisfy even the most demanding ears.
6 people found this helpful
on August 14, 2017
A superb historically informed performance that goes to the head of the queue. Rachel Podger at her best.
on August 10, 2015
absolutely marvelous playing, imagination, quality of recorded sound....superb!
2 people found this helpful
on December 26, 2014
Incomparable. Periodically over a periods of 4 decades I would try to listen to Bach and see if I could "get it." I never did until I discovered this recording. Now I see what the fuss over Bach is all about. This is music making of the highest order. I can find no fault with any aspect of this recording. I had a client recently who has spent his professional life as a professor of musicology and ancient music practices as well as performing in NYC. When I asked him about Rachel he said she was one who played according to the way music was performed back then. I didn't need him to tell me that but it didn't hurt to see that I was on the right track. When I asked him about pianists who are in that vein he mentioned Angela Hewitt, another master who has made it possible for me to see Bach in the highest light
6 people found this helpful
on December 28, 2013
Incredibly flawless violin performances. Audio Engineers did an awesome job. Never been able to find such a high quality, complete collection of Bach's Sonatas and Partitas --- especially the Partita collection. There are 2 lengthy discs. These 2 discs in this collection were very reasonably priced as well.

The shipping was cost was very reasonable. It was all well packaged and arrived in a very timely fashion.

Excellent value and highly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on April 6, 2010
I have listened to many recordings of these pieces. However, Mrs. Podger is one of the best. Her sound is beautiful and her interpretation is sublime. For instance, listen to the D Minor Giga and be mesmerized. Mrs. Podger capability of delivering a warm sound and convincing staccato is indeed the most outstanding features of her interpretation. Summarizing, any Bach's lover should have these CD's in his/her collection.
3 people found this helpful