Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: BISSELL 3106A Featherweight Lightweight Vacuum
Amazon Vehicles Fall Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now STEM

on July 23, 2005
I wanted a lightweight, compact vacuum to use every evening after dinner on the kitchen floor. Our regular vac was too bulky to pull out for quick jobs, and we didn't have a spot to charge a cordless. I settled on the Featherweight because it was small enough to hang from my mop rack and only cost $20.

This vac is ideal for picking up dust and pet hair on wood or tile floors. However, I've found that with larger, heavier items (such as spilled dog food), the vac often has to be lifted up over the item and placed right down on top of it in order to pick it up; if I just push the vacuum over dog food, it often just pushes the dog food in front of the vacuum head instead of sucking it up. Removing the vac head and using this as a hand vac works much better for picking up dog food and the like.

I've also found that items about the size of a marble (again, spilled dog food) get jammed right behind the plastic shield covering the intake opening of the vac. To remove them I need to jam a stick back there, loosen the item and then pry it out. This is a pain in the neck that I really don't need.

Finally, there's no way to clean the dust off the filter without using your bare hands; this vac really needed just a tiny brush that attached to the unit to make dusting off the filter easier and neater. As it is, after every use I need to pull clumps of dog fur off the filter with my bare fingers - yuck!

I think that once this breaks (as I'm sure it will - it's made of quite junky plastic and doesn't seem all that durable) I'll go out and spend a bit more money on a higher quality stick vac. However, for $20 this little cheapie picks up the messes and doesn't take up too much space.
44 comments| 313 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 27, 2005
This is easy to use and very light weight. It was just what I needed between weekly visits from the wonderful person who actually vacuums for me (I HATE vacuuming with a passion).

I have a cat and a dog and I garden (sloppily) so I needed something like this that I'd actually use. I took it out of the box, assembled it in about a minute (without even having to read the directions) and I cleaned up my kitchen. It pulled up an amazing amout of fur, etc. Now I'm looking for things to clean.

It took me a few trys to get the emptying part down, but it's easy. Just remove the main unit from the "stick" and empty it over a trash can or empty it over a piece of newspaper on the floor. Since the body is plastic a bit of the fine dust may cling to the outer case, so have a damp paper towel handy to give it a quick exterior wipe. No big deal.

The price is so incredibly reasonable that I bought another one to keep next to the kitty litter box.
22 comments| 132 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 28, 2004
I was excited to purchase a new stick vac after lots of research and I bought this stick vac for three reasons: (1) I have two toddlers who drop crumbs and food and such in our kitchen every hour of every day in every corner, (2) the price was awfully right and (3) I have rarely seen a 5-star item on this site. The reviews for this Bissell are right on the money -- it is perfect for bare floors, has impressive suction and is lightweight for the quick everyday clean-up. Goodbye broom. Rest easy big and heavy upright. Unfortunately, two issues arose. It is still a hand vac in that the clean-up of the cup (or nose cone) is still a bit messy. When you first open it, the filter is right there -- with the lint, hair etc. dangling from it and some pieces static-clinging to the unit. (My current hand vac has the filter tucked inside so that when you first open it, this doesn't happen.) This vac must be opened over or in a wide mouth garbage can, and I can see trying to hold on to the handle, motor-and-filter with one hand and the nose cone with the other and trying to get all the dirt in the garbage being a bit cumbersome in the long run as the filter gets dirtier. The second issue was storage. I thought that the base would at least bend to 90-degrees. It does not and therefore needs to be propped up in the corner (hard to do on bare floors because it will slide) or hung on the wall with a device to grab the handle. I can understand why this item got 5 stars, but I will be returning mine to LNT ($15) for a new generation stick vac that stands up and has a less messy removable cup.
on August 15, 2004
Just what I needed! I've been struggling with a handheld vaccuum that cost twice as much that jammed everytime it reached a pile of dirt.

This little vac got up years worth of dust from the corners, cleaned up all my bare floors, scooped up old leaves around the plants, got into tough corners behind stuff

I snapped it together in 30 seconds and away I went!
0Comment| 124 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 3, 2003
This is the perfect little vacuum cleaner for apartments with hardwood floors, and it's astonishingly inexpensive. It is very small, lightweight, quiet, and powerful for it's size. I was looking around for awhile for something like this. I looked at the Shark vacuums,which seemed flimsy. There is only the tiniest problem with this vacuum, which is that the handle clip doesn't stay firmly attached- so I just put a piece of tape on it and now it's fine, and everything else about it is so good that this is minor.
on February 16, 2006
Note- my unit says it's a Bissell 3Way Lightweight vacuum, but it looks like this picture and was $19.99, so I believe it is the same product. I LOVE it!!!

I have two small children who seem to be increasing their crumb-dropping habit recently. I sweep crumbs into the corner of the kitchen and dining room (both hardwood) every day, but don't always have the chance to use the dustpan right away, plus you can't pick up every last speck that way. I am sick of sweeping and stooping!

So I found this little beauty and it is soooo much better than I expected! For $20, I figured I was taking a chance... but it works REALLY well! I leave on the roller head (as shown in pic) for floors and it's so light I pick it up and roll it across the dinner table as well! I slip the roller head off to get in the tighter corners, I use the crevice tool for the space between the carpet and walls in the halls. It's like a dustbuster on a stick, but since it plugs in, it's more powerful. It fits between my fridge and the wall with that sad, lonely old broom!

It is not a replacement for a big vac... I use my big, heavy Hoover for the plush carpet, but it's great for little touch-ups on the carpet. It does not, however, do great at picking up fuzzy carpet balls that are stuck to the carpet. It picks up beads better than my big vac (which sometimes spits them back out), it picks up crumbs, pieces of cereal, it even picked up an intact teddy graham with no problem.

The motor sounds very tight, smooth, like it will last. But I have not had it long, I will post again when I have more info on longevity. My only complaint is the plug isn't tight in the socket -- any pressure at all pulls the plug right out. I suppose if it's too annoying I can bend one prong slightly. I do wish it was easier to wrap and unwrap the cord since I'm using it so much! A retractable cord would be perfect. But for $20, I'm more than thrilled with this product.

Buy it, you'll like it!

REVIEW UPDATE SEPTEMBER 21, 2009

Okay, we've moved twice and this baby is no longer crammed between the fridge and the wall but it's still going strong! I have quite a bit more floor space now and I still love this little vacuum. I did bend one prong to keep it plugged in tight and that has worked fine for however many years I've now had it. This may be the best twenty bucks I ever spent!
on July 9, 2006
What a disappointment!!!! This little vac has a stingy cord making it suitable for bathroom sized rooms only. How much would another 5 feet of cord cost the manufacturer? It hasn't much suction unless you have pet hair or feathers or sawdust mess or ants. There is a much better choice: the Eureka, cordless Quick Up 96 D sometimes sold as Boss quick up for around $35. The Eureka has 5x the suction, a powered roller brush for carpet and is cordless/battery powered so goes anywhere. I bought the Bissell as a second vacuum, what a disappointment. Now I'm searching for another Eureka Quick Up. Give this one (the Bissell) to a kid... it is a toy. No I don't work for Eureka.
VINE VOICEon October 6, 2006
After reading the reviews I thought I'd give it a try--got my Bissell at Linens 'N Things (online) with a 20% off coupon for $15.99. Very easy to use, picks up what I need it to, mainly dust and very small crumbs, etc. For those who complain about a short cord, just add an extension cord and keep it with the vacuum--worked for me! Like others, I wish it had a small brush attachment. But it was great for vacuuming my stairs, I simply took off the long handle--MUCH easier than lugging out my canister vac.

I really like it NOT being cordless, having to worry about running down the charge.

Very happy with this lightweight vacuum for keeping my hardwood floors, linoleum, and very flat area rugs free of dust, crumbs, and other small debris.
on October 31, 2005
I bought this vacuum cleaner for my dorm and it's great! It works well and it's super light. I am very glad I bought it.

It is so thin that it fits anywhere: in the closet, under the bed, etc.
on January 23, 2008
Essentially this is a "dust buster" on a stick. The stick easily detaches if you want to use it as a hand vac. When you pop on the floor attachment (simple--it just fits right in the end of the thing), it becomes a floor vac. Or you can pop this off and use the crevice tool. But unlike a hand vac, which usually runs on a rechargeable battery, this plugs in -- which means your battery isn't going to go weak on you and need replacement. Course it means you can't go more than a few feet from the plug. My only complaint: if I want to do more than one area or our stairs, I have to unplug it and replug it in elsewhere to reach, but I realize it isn't meant to do a whole house and that a longer cord would mean a heavier and more cumbersome vac.

I'm surprised some reviews here say it has no power -- mine has so much power I cannot push it on a rug. I tried it on four different low-pile area rugs, and on each of them it grabs the rug so strongly I can only pull rather than push. So what. It's fine for a quick pickup on the rugs and I can do my entire wood floor with no problem. I mainly got it for cleaning around the parrot cage (a constant task), but I found myself going after all the nooks and crannies of the house, one after another, the second I plugged it in.

I like how the floor attachment has wheels so it doesn't suck itself into the floor (why it grabs the rugs so much I dunno-maybe it needs bigger wheels), I like how the handle snaps off and on easily, I like how versatile it is. There wasn't anything I couldn't pick up with it, including dog kibble and parrot pellets. I do agree it pushes this kind of stuff along if the floor attachment is on, but without it, it has no trouble with them.

My husband teases me that in our 25 years of marriage, I've bought more vacuums and dust busters than shoes. This is the last one for quick pickups I'm going to need. I am SO glad to have found it. Bottom line: bigger jobs, get out your main vac; little jobs, this one's a snap. I love this thing!

Adding after 6 weeks: The filter gets clogged easily and you can lose suction. I clean mine with an old toothbrush I leave near the trashcan. Bigger items like dog kibble can get stuck in the little flap thingie and you need a knife or something to get them out. Other than that, I'm still very happy with it.