Salon Beauty Books with Buzz Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now Start your Baby Registry

Crossing Jordan
Format: Audio CD|Change

I'm not familiar with the TV show, but I can get an idea of its vibe from these songs (not the selection as much as the production) - they all have a mellow, cool and somber sound. T Bone Burnett is the executive producer (so you know its gonna be good), and most tracks have the same group of studio musicians produced by Craig Street, (recorded in LA between 10/02 and 1/03), so this is what probably gives the even and somewhat homogenized sound despite this diverse group of headliner guests. Other than the surprisingly weak and sappy opening covers by Sam Phillips and Marc Anthony Thompson, I like all these songs a lot and some are outstanding!

I was originally attracted to buy this by the inclusion of Richard Thompson's moody version of Donovan's Season of the Witch (electric, 9 minutes, 2 great solos in RT's dirge mode), which is great, but Alison Krauss doing Steve Winwood's I Can't Find My Way Home, and Cassandra Wilson's interpretation of Hendix's The Wind Cries Mary are most sublime. I also love the late great Vic Chesnutt's cover of Dylan's Buckets of Rain, Joe Henry's take on Lou Reed's Pale Blue Eyes, as well as The Holmes Brothers doing Cat Steven's Trouble, and even Jill Hennessy's version of Dylan's It's All Over Now Baby Blue... You can get the idea this is a delightfully eclectic affair. However, it does have that sound... a bit too consistently cool and somber. Only the short and lively excerpt of the Celtic/techno sounding Crossing Jordan Theme by Wendy Melvoin and Lisa Coleman (with wonderful Uilleann pipes), is different, and that is only a fleeting glimpse....but maybe lively isn't the point.
on May 15, 2010
I was a fan of this television show and was disappointed when it was cancelled. The show featured interesting "soundtrack music" and this CD collects some of the better tunes---many of them "covers" by performers who did not do the original versions of the songs.

Among the standouts are: Alison Krauss covering Steve Winwood's, "Can't Find My Way Home"; Cassandra Wilson doing Jimi Hendrix's, "The Wind Cries Mary"; Joe Henry doing, "Pale Blue Eyes", originally done by The Velvet Underground; the CD also features two Bob Dylan covers: "Buckets Of Rain", by Vic Chesnutt, and, "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue", performed by the show's star, Jill Hennessy---she does a very nice job with it.

For me, the standout track on the CD is a stunning version of the Donovan song, "Season Of The Witch", performed by Richard Thompson---it is absolutely the best cover of this song I have ever heard---eerie, haunting, and chilling, befitting the song and it's subject matter.

I have enjoyed this collection of tunes and would recommend it just for the interesting takes on songs that have been covered by a lot of artists.
|22 comments|Report abuse
on July 21, 2014
Originally purchased for the haunting version of "Can't Find My Way Home" by Allison Krause, as I could not find it anywhere else. Wow, was I pleasantly surprised to hear various other unique covers by talented artists!
This is a keeper and in constant rotation in my '500 Favorite-Cd's'. Good production values, just a few 'LoudnessWars' compressed passages ('Season of The Witch' is one of them, but works for this version..,) good musical arrangements of songs, and nice organization, flow-wise, of the various songs and styles. If you like this style of music, a definite must have (especially at the $8 price tag!)
on December 10, 2017
I was pretty disappointed in the music and artistic quality; not the sellers fault. Jill Hennessy should just stick to acting. Singing not her strong suite. Like most of the rest of guess she probably sounded better in the shower. The songs of the other artists sounded as if someone had stolen demo tapes or pirated audios of them practicing. Very poor recording quality. Fortunately it was throw in; I threw it in, the trash.
I really like Jill Hennessy, as an actress.
on May 31, 2015
I really enjoy most of the cuts on this CD, especially The Holmes Brothers' "Trouble," the Crossing Jordan Themes, Rosemary Clooney's "Black Coffee," and others. I had bought it some years back and ended up lending it and never seeing it again. Glad to have a brand new copy.
on August 10, 2013
I purchased this hoping to get one song, the season one version of the show's theme which, alas, isn't on this disc. What I did get is a T-Bone Burnett-produced mix of re-interpreted material that adds up to an album worth owning. The harmony of the Holmes Brothers adds to the spirituality of Cat Stevens' "Trouble" and I loved every one of Richard Thompson's very nasty guitar licks on Donovan's "Season Of The Witch." Allison Krauss' voice seems made for "Can't Find My Way Home" and Cassandra Wilson puts an appealing turn on "The Wind Cries Mary." Crossing Jordan star Jill Hennessy doesn't embarrass herself on Tom Waits' "You're Innocent When You Dream." Worth the price.
on July 28, 2015
Surprisingly great little CD! I bought it for Alison Krauss' version of "I Can't Find My Way Home", not even bothering to look at the other cuts. Very pleased to find Richard Thompson's version of "Season of the Witch", Rosemary Clooney's version of "Black Coffee", Jill Hennessy's (who knew she could sing?) version of "It's All Over Now, Baby Blue" and Lucinda Williams' version of "Hang Down Your Head". Great easy listening music.
on March 28, 2006
This is a great compilation with some very exciting covers. What I really wish they would do is release a "greatest hits" CD for EACH SEASON. There is some superb music in that series - not just the great cover versions, but overall. Nearly every episode has a song that makes you sit up and take notice.

I would also be quite pleased with a CD of "Garrett's favorites". He listens to some excellent music on that old Victrola phonograph. I'd love to be able to gather them up on one CD (or two disc set).

My advice: Buy this CD. It has something for almost everybody and the price is great.
8 people found this helpful
on May 5, 2013
I would have never purchased this album if they were available individually. I mean, the lead actress on the show has two tracks. Complete filler. I really, really like Alison Kraus' version of "Can't find my way home", but there's nothing that good about the rest of the tracks. I don't mind listening to them, but I'm not even going to bother ripping them.
One person found this helpful
on June 25, 2017
Especially enjoyed Jill's contributions.