BCA Month Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop hgg17 Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

Customer reviews

Hoya 58mm R-72 Infrared Filter

VINE VOICEon February 23, 2006
After reading reviews all across the web, the concensus was that this is the best all-purpose Infrared filter for photography - digital photography in my case. It is also a reasonably priced. I ordered mine and got it quickly, and tried it out right away. The user photos above are ones I took when I did some of my first tests.

On a tripod and with the proper settings, this filter does what it is supposed to and does it well. It darkens the sky and lightens the foliage (Woods effect). It gives images an otherworldy appearance that many find appealing.

I know that I will be using it quite a bit for my nature photography. Thank you Hoya!

EDIT 08/07/2014: I just wanted to clarify that you do not need an infrared modified camera to capture IR photos using this filter. It will work on a standard digicam, though results will vary from camera to camera. Some may exhibit a "hot spot" (brigther central area) and exposure times are long si will require the use of a tripod. If it is windy, some foliage may blur, but that also can be interesting. If you want to capture infrared images of people and other subjects using a more standard exposure time, you will need an IR modified camera.
review image review image review image review image review image review image
1111 comments| 54 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 6, 2016
It works as a 720nm high pass filter as advertised. Important note for DSLR users: factory cameras have a blocking filter around 850nm, so that wavelengths longer than 850nm will not enter the camera sensor. If this filter is used on an unmodified DSLR, nearly all the light is blocked (this is why exposure times of several seconds are needed)! This filter should be used on a camera WITHOUT a near IR blocking filter. There are other filters available that are high pass above 850nm, which may result in higher image contrast on green vegetation.
on June 8, 2015
Nice filter if you want to play around just getting into IR photography. Note: if you haven't had your camera modified (most DSLRs come from the factory with an IR blocking filter installed) to remove the factory IR filter, your sensor will only be able to pick up a small amount of IR light. This means you'll have to frame and focus your scene, then attach the filter, then take your pic using a long exposure (recommend a tripod). Not to mention that IR light technically focuses at a slightly different point than visible light, so you may have to play with it. BUT, it's not bad if you want to get into IR photography and have a little fun, without blowing a ton of cash.
on October 28, 2012
This filter performs excellent in bright light. It is what I would call a fair weather filter. On a recent shoot in the Oregon mountains where there was lots of Mist and rain as well as water splash from the trees, it quickly got water spots on it. The coating of these lenses does not repel water very well and when cleaned with a microfiber cloth alone left streaking. The streaking resolves when using the proper alcohol lens cleaner.

That is probably an unfair complaint against the filter. However certain other filters by other manufacturers handle the wet weather conditions a bit better. As far as the infrared performance of the Filter, it performs flawlessly. I am particularly pleased with the construction.
on February 13, 2015
This filter got the highest reviews of any of the IR filters which is why I chose it. So far the results have been good but as I am still in the "test" mode of doing infrared photography, I have nothing to share. Once the image is captured digitally, quite a bit of post production is required in order to end up with a satisfactory shot but; this has nothing to do with the quality of the filter itself. Unless you get the original IR image to manipulate, all is moot. Hoya delivers the goods. This filter is being used on the Fuji Finepix HS50 EXR, for those who are interested in more data.
on May 21, 2009
This is AWESOME!!! I dont regret spending the money on this at all! So easy to use, just look online and make sure your camera is sensitive to infrared first. Mine was for my S5IS by Canon. Works great and I've got alot of cool photos! See how cool infrared is: [...] go to my gallery and look in the folder for infrared.

*EDITED NOV 29th 2009 to add: I also used my IR filter on my Canon A70 and now recently do all my IR with a Nikon D40. Both Canon's were great, but the clarity and control for IR is much better in a DSLR. I'll never regret buying this filter. I'd go insane without it! IR is awesome and so is this filter!
review image
on May 6, 2009
I'm impressed with the build quality of Hoya filters. This infrared filter is of the same quality as other Hoya filters. I really like the creativity that this filter provides, but the customer must be aware of a few things:

- A tripod is absolutely necessary when using the IR filter; on the brightest day it still takes a good 4 seconds of exposure before a picture is noticeable.
- Once the filter is attached, you cannot use the viewfinder or LCD screen to sight a composition of the picture you want. A suggestion for this is to compose the shot you want to take and then add the filter. However, this is cumbersome if you want to take more than a shot or two, in which you'd need to constantly attach and remove the filter. Another idea is to use the hotshoe as a sight (as in the sights of a gun).
- There is a great book entitled, "Digital Infrared Photography," by Cyrill Harnischmacher, that details the theory, practice, and methodology of IR photography.
- This filter is very specific for very specific outcomes. It is a great tool that widens photographers' creativity, but among the field of photography it is extremely limited in its breadth.
- This lens can turn a boring hedge of vines, branches, and leaves into an unbelievable art form. It adds something to an otherwise bland scene.

Overall, I really enjoy this lens, though I don't use it too often.
on October 26, 2015
I love it. IR photography is not for everyone, but if you want to try your hand at it, this is a great filter to use.
Great filter also if you want to have stunning black and white or toned photos.
review image
on May 13, 2007
I highly recomend using the Hoya RM-72 filter. There are other brands out there bosting the same quality at a lower price, but I prefer the trusted name of Hoya, who have been making quality filter for years. I have used other filters by Hoya and have been very satisfyed with the results. This filter is exelent for use with the new Rolei Infrared film. This filter transmits from 720nm (Just beyond the visible spectrum ending at 700nm) out to more then 8000nm. The spectral curve of both the RM-72 filter and the Rolei Infrared film are a perfect match. The variety of infrared films is rapidly decreasing to the point where the only films avalable are Kodak HIE and Rolie 820IR and if you shoot medium format your only choice is Rolei. I highly recomend this filter for anyone wanting to try working with infrared film as well as for all of us who have been using the 87/89 series filters on other brands of film. The 87/89 filters block out too much light to make using it with the Rolei film impracticle. I have done hours of reserch on the web and found that this filter is the best one to use for all of your infrared needs. I myself have shot several rolls with this flter with exelent results givng me the true infrared effect Im after.
on July 30, 2016
Be sure you know how to use this before purchasing. You will need to mess with the setting of your camera to get the shot, also it will have a red tint that will have to be removed with a photoshop type software.